Brass Monkey Weather.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  01:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Flippin' heck it was cold today, so cold my legs chapped.
Suppose to be getting colder.

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
299 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  03:37:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GWS - your comments made me think of something that I never hear mentioned during cold weather today - chilblains. I used to suffer badly from them when I was a child, painful blistering of my toes. They seemed to be a common winter ailment then - but now - never hear anything about them. Maybe we have much better shoes now.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

893 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  13:16:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm always cold, but the next few days I'll probably stay indoors as much as possible! Got my wool and my books, and my tea!! Must be getting really old. When I was young and I heard there was going to be a chance of snow I got excited and looked forward to getting freezing hands and toes as long as the snow kept falling I was ready to go out in it! I'd get wet mittens go in and dry them off and be ready to go again. Can't imagine doing that now!! Chilblains were common place then but I agree, you don't hear of them now. Mind you, we now have warm boots and not those cold black wellies that the snow, going in made them wet.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

189 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  13:36:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trefilboy do you think we used to get chilblains from standing too near the lovely coal fires I know I used to get them on the backs of my legs.Like you MKerchey05 I really canít stand the cold weather but I really hate snow and always have I would much rather have a palm tree on my Christmas cards than a snow scene .I think it comes down to living in a small village when I was young and everything stopped no bread or milk and when I was working waiting around for hours waiting for a bus that never seemed to come .
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2455 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  19:43:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the heyday of sailing ships, all war ships and many freighters carried iron cannons. Those cannons fired round iron cannon balls. It was necessary to keep a good supply near the cannon, but how to prevent them from rolling about the deck?
The best storage method devised was a square based pyramid with one ball on top, resting on four, resting on nine which rested on sixteen. Thus a supply of 30 cannon balls could be stacked in a small area right next to the cannon.

There was one problem... how to prevent the bottom layer from sliding or rolling from under the others.

The solution was a metal plate called a "Monkey" with 16 round indentations. But, if this plate was made of iron, the balls would quickly rust to it.

The solution to the rusting problem was to make "Brass Monkeys." Few landlubbers realize that brass contracts much more and much faster than iron when chilled.

Consequently, when the temperature dropped too far. the brass indentations would shrink so much that the iron cannon balls would come right off the monkey.

Thus, it was quite literally, "Cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey".

And all this time, you thought that was an improper expression, didn't you?

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1044 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  20:57:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darole ,I often wondered about that expression because, generally ,speaking ,monkeys live in warmer climates. Thanks for the clean version
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5218 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2018 :  21:46:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My heart goes out to the homeless people

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2018 :  01:34:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, sitting in front of those open fires, with a cold back and mottled legs (no cellulite those days). There was a pecking order for 'a front seat', until an older female relative would come along, stand with their back towards the fireplace and 'hike' up their skirt as far as dignity would allow and stand there until the top of their legs burned
Good old days

Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
304 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2018 :  15:31:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
a women come home late at night, she finds her husband sitting in front of the fire crying his eyes out what's the matter with you? the women asked, the husband replied i'm burning.
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
93 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2018 :  20:35:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not only were brass "monkeys" used because of the freezing together of iron cannonballs onto a steel "monkey", , they were used so that there was no potential sparking - a serious problem when they are lying next to the stock of gunpowder. The neat and tidy stacking of cannonballs on a base of 4 also gave rise to the phrase "foursquare" when all is neat and tidy. (Shipshape)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13470 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  19:44:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sat here looking at the temperate in my front garden.

As we speak, its -5.8 and still dropping......

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1292 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  20:27:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your in the tropics up there Pierre, it's -8.1 down here and dropping.
Keep warm!!
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1292 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2018 :  21:39:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
-8.8 now and still dropping, have taken photos of the weather station, but can't post
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  01:27:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been reported that the Siberian Beast from the East is to meet with storm Emma from Portugal and drop up to 20 inches of snow.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  11:53:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
RED EXTREME SNOW ALERT for South East Wales.
The Met Office has warned people to get prepared for major disruption that could pose a risk to life.

DON'T PANIC, DON'T PANIC.

Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

893 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  12:47:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All the schools are closed and a lot of factories have shut too. Please don't go out if you really don't have to, stay in and chat on here!
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  12:55:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Feed the animals, beasts and birds, then a quick dip in the sea,
Invigorating.
Enjoy the rest of the day.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1225 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  14:29:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we getting a bit soft?
It is cold but a few years ago (when I was a lad) this would be nothing.
We only failed to deliver milk on one occasion. We could take it but the railway couldnt bring the milk.
Schools would be open unless Leading Stoker Williams couldnt get the boilers working.
Ah well, Those were the days
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2018 :  18:17:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree MKerchey it is good to chat/talk, and the weather is always a good place to start. I am interested to know how much snow they have in their area, the temperature, how they are coping, what they are doing, any shops open/closed, have they seen anyone out and about, vehicles etcetera.
Cwtch up and keep warm.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

893 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  12:45:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have a 5ft. drift around the front of our home. and it extends about halfway across the bunglalow. There are drifts about 2-3ft high down the back garden. Because of the wind and the drifting there are some spots in the garden that have no snow at all. I'll be glad when the snow has gone!!!
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1225 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  16:34:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tred sets a record.
According to Beeb Tredegar set a record for lowest temperature in March and (I think) the greatest snowfall in March.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2018 :  17:49:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes temperature in Tredegar yesterday was -6.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  18:06:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes milkman I seem to have the same memories as you. I remember much worse snow than what we experienced recently and I can't remember everything coming to a stop. Perhaps it was a different type of snow, I did notice that it seemed powdery and how easy it drifted, polystyrene blowing in the wind.
What I find daft is the way the weather is now reported, it is so dramatic, it is reported as unusual weather conditions, I cannot fathom what they mean by this as weather is weather. Something else I find a little daft is naming storm's and wind, of course by doing so we will be able to sit with family and friends and say, "Yes I remember that time well that was the year of storm Dylan or Emma,(I do not think so)
And talking about dramatic how about the recent "The Beast From The East", now that have passed perhaps we will have Clive the cloud, Ronnie the rain and Freddie the flood.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1225 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2018 :  19:28:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I like those definitions for different phenomena
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1536 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2018 :  02:12:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here we go again, BEAST FROM THE EAST 2.
Rain, sleet, snow, strong winds, take your pick.
Don't Panic, Don't Panic!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.