New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13502 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  11:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The updated list of places in Wales eligible for a £25 cold weather payment as Government's bill hits £50m
Source: WalesOnLine

Thousands of people across Wales will receive a £25 bonus as part of a £50m government bill from the Beast from the East.

After waking up to feet of snow thanks to Storm Emma, nearly two million people across the UK have become eligible for the governmentís cold weather payment .

The scheme, which runs from November 1 to March 31, means those receiving pension credit, income support and universal credit will see a payment of £25 automatically given out.

But it is only activated in areas where weather stations find the temperature has dropped, or is forecast to drop, to zero degrees for seven continuous days.

Throughout the UK payments from last week totalled an estimated £49m - the largest weekly sum for five years and more than double this winterís previous highest total the week before.

While there are no exact figures for the number of payments made last week across Wales, 310,000 estimated payments to Welsh residents have been made throughout this winter at a predicted cost of £7.7m.

In comparison, no payments at all were made in Wales between 1 November 2016 and 31 March 2017.

According to weather stations across Wales residents in Tredegar, Blaenau Gwent have been particularly hard hit this winter, with three separate triggers from November 1 to March 2.

This compares to one trigger in Capel Curig and Rhyl in North Wales, two in Lake Vrynwy and Llysdinam weather station in Mid Wales and one in Trawsgoed and Aberporth.

Last Tuesday lows of -6.9C were recorded in Tredegar compared to -7C in Mid Wales and -3C in Anglesey.

butch

United Kingdom
1336 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  13:21:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to those who can get it, but, if like my wife and I,you worked all your life, you don't get it, unless you receive certain welfare benefits. It's not fair is it? You also receive it if you are in a care home, being paid for by local councils and they don't pay for heating and lighting. But hey, good luck to them.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

210 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2018 :  18:58:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
butch I fully agree with you both me and my husband worked all our working life now in our seventies we are unable to get anything I donít feel any grievance to those that are deserving of benefits but it makes you wonder why after working all our lives not claiming anything was it worth it
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1336 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  00:31:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Angel, we struggled to pay our pensions, my wife paid a hefty sum into her pension pot, whilst I paid into a private pension scheme, nobody match funded mine. I say struggled because we were paying a mortgage, and raised three children. We are now in our seventies, and still paying our taxes to keep the ones who have never put a penny into the pot, but get every thing that's going. Is that fair?
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2468 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2018 :  16:51:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Once again those of us who worked and payed into private pension pots loose out again .another injustice that will go unanswered
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13502 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2018 :  13:50:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The system is well and truly screwed.....

What should work (paying your way as you go along), no long applies.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.