Fires
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2018 :  21:12:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I rang the fire brigade earlier,to report a fire in the forest above Georgetown. The firemen arrived and began beating the flames out. Within minutes, another fire broke out a few hundred yards further up the mountain. Which makes me think, are the idiots who started them, messing with our brave hard stretched, firefighters lives? If so the the culprits should think again, about the dangerous games they are playing.

Genes

3 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2018 :  21:24:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2065 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2018 :  22:11:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's been fire engines going up and down past my house since 5.30pm, I'm guessing on the way up to St James pond area as that's normally where grass fires are set off by some morons.
Go to Top of Page

Jep

18 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2018 :  22:57:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
4 fire engines turned up at Fields Road today to try to reach the fire in the forest. Bit chaotic as nowhere for them to turn with ease. They managed though but took a while with all the parked cars up there. Think fire is now under control.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2018 :  10:08:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hellicopter dropping water as I speak, fire has spread.
Go to Top of Page

Welshjude

12 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  09:33:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I live up St Jamesí and could smell smoke all through the night, and still can this morning. I also saw the helicopter taking water from the lake to drop onto the fires. Itís quite scary being so close to it. Thankfully weíve had a drop of rain and itís cooler for the time being.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2065 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  10:50:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got in very late last night,12.30am,& the smell of smoke in the air was terrible down in Woodfield area.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

901 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  16:12:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been watching the hellicopter dropping water on the fire by the s-bends this afternoon. It seems as if there was a fire in the trees opposite St James Way too, but I think that's gone out. I don't know whether the larger of the fires is under control or been put out. If these idiots who started the fires are caught they ought to have the book thrown at them. I feel so sorry for the men battling these fires. It seems as soon as they put one out another is started.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  17:44:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fires are very difficult to put out once the peat has caught alight. We need some quite heavy rain to soak into the ground, to give the fire fighters a chance of getting them under control.
Not only has it cost a fortune money wise, but more importantly, has put human life in danger, but has certainly killed a lot of wildlife.
If the catch these idiots, I hope they are jailed, whatever age they are. It might send out a strong message. By the way!!schools haven't broke up yet,I hope it's not a sign of things to come.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

193 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  17:56:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes we came back late afternoon and saw the helicopter with a bucket to drop water there was also fires on the mountain near where the ski slope used to be on the mountain in Merythr .It must be very scary if you live anywhere near as the ground is so parched.I can only remember this very hot spell in 1976 as I was pregnant and a lot of my friends children including my son came out in a rash and there was doubt wether it was a heat rash or German measles
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2457 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  18:01:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These idiots. Who deliberately start the grass fires need to understand they are potentially putting lives at risk. For whilst the firemen are trying to extinguish the grass fires they cannot respond with the speed and efficiency that they normally do to emergencies like house fires or road traffic collisions.
Whatever the age of these fools a time in prison is needed.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2065 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2018 :  23:15:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other half said he's seen helicopters flying past most of the day with water buckets on them. Some going towards Ebbw way and some going over Cefn mountain way.It's now been 24 hr and the burning smell down here is still just as strong now as it was last night.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1541 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2018 :  22:31:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A welcome drop of rain. Hopefully this will give the fire fighters some respite.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13482 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2018 :  11:55:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot of fires in the valleys over the last few day. Rain due Sunday, so bring it on !

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.