Gardeners Corner
 leafcutter bees
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

50 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2018 :  09:57:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought I was seeing a new species of bee the other day, a bee with huge wings. On looking closer I saw it was a bee carrying large green leaves under its body. It stopped on one of my flower pots that had slate around the plants and pushed its whole body into the slate and pulled the leaves in behind it. Think these are solitary bees that make their nests in gravel, walls etc., This bee makes several visits to the same pot and you can see it navigating its route, so clever.

ddraig

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2018 :  10:29:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never actually seen one of these bees but have seen their handiwork, a small circle taken out of the side of a leaf (with no damage to the plant)
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  09:06:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have BEEn lucky to have had them come to our garden for a number of years. We put up an insect box, and they now use it every year,also they nest in the bottom of our compost bin. Unfortunately I think the very hot weather cut their season short this year.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  10:53:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always fancied having an insect/bee box, did you buy it Butch or make it? Insects are important to the ecosystem and although I hate spiders I try not to kill them or any other insects in the garden, saying that it's nearing spider season and that time when the males are roaming around the house (usually at night) looking for a mate I'd better get my tumbler and card at the ready to catch them.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2457 Posts

Posted - 21/08/2018 :  13:51:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are also known as the patchwork leaf cutter bee
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.