TOWN NEWS
 Warning Morrisons ATM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kay16

2072 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2018 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this is most probably wrong place to put this but It's important. Please if anyone has used the ATM at morrisons this past week can you check with your bank that no suspicious activity has happened with your account. I tried to use my card for a withdrawal today at Roundabout garage and my card was denied to get both a balance & cash so went to my bank in Abergavenny, tried there and machine kept my card, asked at the desk and was told the bank had tried to ring me to say that there was a suspicious transaction on my account yesterday afternoon for 1p from a boat making company in Ireland and Canada so their fraud department blocked my card. The only place I've used my card to get cash was Morrisons on Wednesday afternoon and the bank thinks it's been cloned there. They said that normally whoever does this, they have a trial run the day after for a small amount and if that goes okay they normally start taking money a few days to a week later. So I've been very lucky that my bank have been quick to notice and put a stop to anything before it happens. So please if anyone has used either machine's I recommend you ring your bank ASAP just to make sure you're okay.

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2018 :  23:26:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the warning Kay.
lilly
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2072 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  00:04:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome Lilly. I just thought that there's a lot of people, especially older people (no offence), who come on here who might not notice anything wrong until it's too late as most banks only give statements either every month or 6 months now and a lot of damage could be done before you notice or if your bank is not on the ball like mine. Better to warn people to check and be safe than sorry. Also it might not just be Morrisons ATM'S as if they've done 1 they could do any in this area.
Go to Top of Page

darole

United Kingdom
2469 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  08:22:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for the heads up
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1030 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  09:53:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've tried to avoid ATMs for a while now because of this, but sometimes there's no other choice if you want cash, thanks Kay16 for the warning
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2072 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  10:13:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm the same as you ddraig I normally either use roundabout garage and only them, get cash back or use the inside machines in banks, haven't used supermarket ATM'S for at least 8/9 months but needed cash and didn't think. My bank advised me yesterday that cash back in store was the best way if you can't get to your own bank.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

64 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2018 :  11:26:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I avoid atm's they are a target for fraud, it happened to our family a few years back. In America someone paid for a coffee to try and test the account out, they got details of the account here not in America. The bank was quick off the mark and stopped further transactions. Best to go into the bank and withdraw cash they are open Mon-Sat. Be careful though if your bank texts/rings you about fraud, it may not be your bank that is calling you and never give out personal details or pin numbers. If you have problems it is best to go and get advice in the bank.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2072 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2018 :  13:48:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also been told today that apparently scammed now have devices that can take information from a contactless card too just by being near/bumping into you. So looks like you're not 100% safe,no matter how hard you try.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1619 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2018 :  16:10:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The device you refer to have been around for years. It is capable of scanning your card even when it is in a handbag, pocket etc. You can get a small wallet lined with a certain material that prevents your card being scanned, I had mine from the crime prevention.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2072 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2018 :  09:41:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just had a text off my daughter to say that it's on Facebook that Tredegar Barclays ATM has been done too. So looks like they've done a few in the area over a couple of days.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1030 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2018 :  10:49:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The last handbag I bought is RFID block lined, I've thought of buying a purse the same but I'm not sure it's necessary. You would think that they would check these ATMs at least once a day, surely they would be able to tell if it's been nobbled?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.