Fashion sense!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  16:42:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How ridiculous some of today's so called fashions are. Who in their right mind would go out and actually spend good money on RIPPED jeans?
I would have bawled my eyes out, if my mother had sent out with a hole in my trousers, at the very least, they would have patches on them.
Another one, why buy a baseball cap, and then wear it back to front? What are your pet silly fashions? #129300;

milkman

United Kingdom
1233 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  20:24:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We have to be careful since honest tradesmen make good money from it !!!
In my youth if one had ones hair cut very short up the sides it was known as a Prussian bald-off; it could indicate that you saved a few pennies of your Mum's hard earned money. Now it seems to be the weal.
Also a particular friend of mine and I wore both naily boots and shorts to "The County" when others were in shoes and long-uns. We were a bit envious but it didnt really matter. Now shorts and boots are back in
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5224 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  21:01:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who remembers the platform shoes ,and who had them lol

Go to Top of Page

WelshWitch

United Kingdom
26 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  22:46:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had platform shoes - nearly broke my ankle with them. I also wore flared trousers, mini skirts and goodness knows what else. I remember my mother saying “you’re not going out dressed like that are you”, so I try not to criticise today’s fashions.

Been there - done that.....
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout

110 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  09:29:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While we are on the subject of shoes.I remember taking a pair of worn shoes to the cobbler in town (Cant think of his name) and having "studs" nailed to the sole & heels.Boy there was great fun to be had in running then sliding on the way to school.
Probably would not be allowed nowadays owing to health & safety regulations.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 20/09/2018 09:30:31
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1007 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  10:53:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is it with the fashion today with eyebrows? shaped eyebrows are nice but I've seen loads of stenciled brows and some of them look peculiar, to say the least.
The fashion in my day was maxi coats and mini skirts
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  11:22:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in my younger days, dress code was, jacket &trousers, or suit, and always, collar and tie. But my favourite was my ice blue jeans, quite tight!!and my grenson shoes, boy, I thought I was the kiddy#128513;#128514;
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout

110 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  20:33:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Butch, I have to say not only might you have felt being the "Kiddie" wearing your grenson shoes back in the day;you would also be the "top man" for wearing fashionable shoes nowadays if you wore a pair of grenson.
I checked out a pair of grenson shoes on their site and there was not a pair under 200 pounds.Top price for a pair of brogues was 425 pounds.
How much did you pay for your pair back in the day, can you remember?

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 20/09/2018 20:42:59
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
398 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  21:14:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddraig

What is it with the fashion today with eyebrows? shaped eyebrows are nice but I've seen loads of stenciled brows and some of them look peculiar, to say the least.
The fashion in my day was maxi coats and mini skirts

The eyebrows these days remind me of SLUGS
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1302 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  21:54:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Himalayan Scout, I used to buy my Grenson shoes from Bernstein's in Ebbw Vale, also my wrangler ice blue jeans, if I remember correctly I gave around £7 a pair for the shoes, and £1.50 for jeans. Please don't think I was extravagant, they were all the rage in those days, but like many I had to save out of my wages, for several weeks to buy them. By the way,in those days, Bernstein's was the shop that sold the best gear.
Go to Top of Page

mrdojob

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2018 :  10:06:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I personally think that compared to generations of fashion gone by, today fashion seems the far better option. Fashion gone buy seemed to both look terrible and equally bad to wear but what young people wear today seems far more neutral and comfortable along with practical. I love hoodies because a good one is like wearing an electric blanket and those skintight leggings/trousers that are all the rage with young women are probably equally warm and like wearing a pair of thermals.

The makeup I'm often not keen on but at least it gives an indication of how much self worth someone has before speaking to them.
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

193 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2018 :  12:37:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember the floursent ankle socks that were around late fifties early sixties.I remember lots of girls had them my mum wasn’t happy for us to have them eventually she gave in but by the time we had them they had gone out of fashion.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1048 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2018 :  13:13:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies fashions in the past were almost dictatorial and every spring skirt lengths were changed ,6 inches below the knee .3 inches above the knee, maxis minis . Women followed these edicts slavishly and the fashion houses laughed all the way to the bank. Nowadays things are much more casual and most women dress for comfort- more sensible and a lot cheaper.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.