Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 :  18:25:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly I would like to thank all the people who are assisting in my campaign to get the HGV's off Merthyr Road which runs through Princetown and past Bryn Bach School. When I first started I was helped by Trish Law AM Dai Davis MP Mohammad Askhar AM for Newport East,and Brian Thomas councillor.Gwent Gazette and Nearly every parent with children at Bryn Bach school signed the petition,also Residents of Tredegar and HGV drivers.I made various DVD's showing HGV's following schoolchildren along the pavements etc, As a result,Ieaun Wyn Jones deputy Minister came to see the problem and view the Proposal for a Slip road off the A465.A meeting was then called at the Welsh Assembly,a number of options were discussed,none were suitable, I have now sent in a new proposal for a slip road off the A465 up to Llecryd Bridge along Merthyr road,across a field owned by Pen-coed-Cae farm on past behind the Prince Of Wales Inn at Princetown then across the field owned by Caerphilly Council and to join up with the top road of Tafarnaubach Industrial Estate,return journey using the same road,then down to Ryhmney Bridge slip roads. The Director of Transport Wales has now sent this proposal to Blaenau Gwent Council.Stephen Thomas Deputy leader of the Council will be looking into these proposals,together with Mr John Parsons Highways. I am hoping that Caerphilly Council will come onboard. I dont think there is any other road that runs past a Primary school into an Industrial Estate,it's an accident waiting to happen. WHAT COST can we put on a childs life. Anyone else got any suggestions? A view of the area can be seen on Google Earth

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2008 :  21:47:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any chance you can give direct locations to view this on google earth?

Even tough I live in this area, I'm from 'out of town'...lol.

I would love to view it, and see if I can help. I'm pretty good at picture puzzle solving, might have a good shot at it.
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  00:34:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funnily enough I was talking about this stretch of road with my sister today. I was saying to her that I when I take my nephew up to Bryn Bach Park I would much rather cut up through Ashvale than travel along the Merthyr Road as the HGV's travel at one hell of a speed and they really do come in close to the kerb.
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  00:57:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah ha, thanks Morris, you gave the vital clue.
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  01:10:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why cant they just use the strips of land that run parallel to the heads of the valley road? One on each side of the bridge, there appears to be enough length and width to accommodate trucks with enough room to slow down safely.

I'm no road engineer, but that seems the most logical solution, and possibly the cheapest. Or had that idea already been shot down?

PS

Sorry, I forget to mention, in the American exit ramp style.

PPS

Alternatively, could they not get off at the Rassau IND EST and come the back way? There are roads there, they would just need connecting and improving.

How much traffic are we talking about?

Edited by - Yankee Doodle on 26/01/2008 01:36:00
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  11:28:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I shall try and make this as short as possible.Option 1 was to run slip roads off the A465 up to the bridge outside Bryn Bach Park. Known as Tafafarnaubach Bridge, Then a Slip Road back down the other side before you get to Ron Skinners. Objection to this was it's the wrong gradiant. Next Traffic Wales commissioned a firm called Capita Symonds to conduct a survey. (must have cost thousands) They put in another Option 1 same as above,only this time to incorperate a roudabout outside Bryn Bach Park with a slip road going back down towards Merthyr, and another the other side coming off the A465 Knocking down two dwellings in the process. BUT Not allowed because tne slip roads leading down towards Abergavenny would be two close to the next inter change. So forget that Option. Option 2 &part of Option 3 very much the same as above. 2nd part of Option 3 was a slip road going West off the A465 up onto Llecryd Bridge to come out at the existing road juction at the far end of Bryn Bach park then onto Metrthyr road towards Princetown. They had then shown a loop slip road back towards the A465 and going East towards Abergavenny. BUT HGV's would still travel through Princetown, THIS we dont want. Option 4 introduction of a LayBy outside Bryn Bach school room for 24 cars(this had been suggested years ago by the parents but was turned down) This would not stop the HGV's travelling past the school,in fact it would increase the speed.Option 5 MOVE the school.Option 6 Divert all HGV's through Trefil using Llwyn Helyg Road, What a joke.So Ieaun Wyn Jones asked us to go way and come up with another plan. So yer I be I am just a lay person with a camera fighting for the safety of the children at Bryn Bach school. You may ask WHY?. Iam a resident who like everyone else thought other people should do it esp those on the council,I only went out there after they had taken down the large barn,the noise of HGV's at night was beyond a joke,when I went out to record this I saw HGV's mounting the kerb behind school chidren. I put aside my problem now this was more important. Had a run in with Councillor Owens and the Highways. The speed bumps and chicains are dangerous.They wanted to put yellow lines to stop the parents parking. Now plans are in for extra speed bumps and barriers. My proposal has now been put forward,lets hope they see sence before a child is killed. I urge you to contact your MP AM and councillors, I need your support. Q re how many HGV's use this road daily Approx 150 plus the routine shunts from Tafarnaubach to Rassau, Now plans are in for a Metal recycling plant so that's another 25 to 30 HGV' per day.Plus Ron Skinners Transporters
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  11:31:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS to many FFF in Tafarnaubach, sorry chaps
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2008 :  12:39:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alternatively, could they not get off at the Rassau IND EST and come the back way? There are roads there, they would just need connecting and improving. Or has that been covered already, sorry, I dont know the names of the road.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  09:06:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some great pics sent in by Sailor, that really high-light the problem.
It would seem only a matter of time before someone, possibly a school-child, is injured or worse.
A big thanks to Sailor for bringing this to everyone's attention.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  10:39:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More proof, not that it's needed, of an accident waiting to happen.

Go to Top of Page

morcar
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  11:34:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its high time they sorted this out as someone will get killed. Also i think they should sort out a pavement from ashvale to the Rassau ind est. as you cant even step foot on the heads of the valley because you can get arrested.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  11:45:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Completely agree mate, we are talking about Cildren here!
How do you get to Rassau, walk via Dukestown by the old 3M's place ?
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  12:15:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My god! Its like walking your children though a truck depot. If my children end up going to that school, I would end up either being late everyday to avoid that, or refusing to take them.

Its a small wonder that a child hasn't already been hurt. Something MUST be done. I do not see how it is the public's responsibility to sort this out and come up with the ideas, there are people who are PAID to sort things like this out.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  14:51:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,I agree and it's going to get worse when they start the 3nd phase of the dualling of the A465, I just dont know how those children will manage to get to school from Waundeg,I also wrote to the Education Minister about the Porta Cabin alongside the road,brought this up at the meeting at the Welsh Assembly,just heard they have sent out Tenders for saftey barriers and to move the Porta Cabin class room,as seen in the last photograph,so that's a start. I aint gona give up yet.Many thanks for your support.I will say that Trish Law has helped no end. and No I dont belong to any political party.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  14:57:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son's class room is that Porta Cabin, and when the trucks drive past, the whole things shakes!
If one of the larger trucks were to loose control, I cannot image the carnage that would be left!

Must ask this "Have we discussed the French approach........" Maybe this is better via e-mail ?
Go to Top of Page

morcar
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  15:42:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Completely agree mate, we are talking about Cildren here!
How do you get to Rassau, walk via Dukestown by the old 3M's place ?

yeah i go through dukestown and through the crown ind. est. although even when you come to the around about the police can still pick you up as your on the heads of the valley then. Thats why i said about a proper pavement with crash barriers.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  16:54:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

My son's class room is that Porta Cabin, and when the trucks drive past, the whole things shakes!
If one of the larger trucks were to loose control, I cannot image the carnage that would be left!

Must ask this "Have we discussed the French approach........" Maybe this is better via e-mail ?

I have spoken to HGV drivers,they say that they dread going past the school,I think that crossing lady carries out her job 100%
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  17:07:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Speed Control" thats actually in place there seems to have made matters even more dangerous. I went to that school and even though industry was very prominent at the time at Tafarnaubach I can never remember the amount of HGV'S passing that there seems to be now.

Edited by - morris1975 on 30/01/2008 18:35:30
Go to Top of Page

morcar
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
260 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  18:29:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember walking there when i worked in P&P Packing and it was a nightmare. I had at least 5 to 8 lorrys passing me in the morning and that was at 5.30am in the morning
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2008 :  20:10:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps protests are in order, blocking all traffic during school taking in and letting out times.

Not being funny, but if no one in the powers that be want to try and find a solution ( in regards to making another way for the trucks to get through) then perhaps a 'no go' time space would be almost as good. It would be where no trucks are allowed on that part of the road during the taking in and letting out times, it cant be that hard to schedule deliveries around it.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2008 :  10:07:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee Doodle

Perhaps protests are in order, blocking all traffic during school taking in and letting out times.

Not being funny, but if no one in the powers that be want to try and find a solution ( in regards to making another way for the trucks to get through) then perhaps a 'no go' time space would be almost as good. It would be where no trucks are allowed on that part of the road during the taking in and letting out times, it cant be that hard to schedule deliveries around it.

Sorry, That was brought up in the meeting,an impossible task,Firstly the number of HGV's, where could they all park up? Foreign HGV's arriving throughout the day, School times,taking into account Nursery classes leaving lunchtime etc. Think about during school hours,children playing on field.Then there,s Princetown. I sat in the front room of the last house in Blaenau Gwent,The Trvellers rest built way back in seventeen hundreds,the residents are unable to live in the front of the house HGV's thunder past,the noise is deafing.I shall give Stephen Thomas deputy leader of the council time to try and get the latest proposals ready for a further meeting at the Welsh Assembly,but in the meantime I intend to get together a story for ITV BBC etc I am open to suggestions and any contacts you have,perhaps the webteam can be informed if you dont want to reply on here. THE Parents of Brynbach school need your support. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2008 :  11:29:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Sailor (that sounds like a line from a carry on film......),

If you can please e-mail the webteam at their address of webteam@tredegar.co.uk we can see what we can do to help.

Rgds,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2008 :  22:42:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still dont see ow its up to the public to sort it out. Why cant the people in charge of road saftey do it? Isnt that what they are paid to do?
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2008 :  22:43:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, with blocking the traffic, its not up to you to worry about where they would park, thats the whole point.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2008 :  15:43:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have now sent Pierre,two DVD.s of the HGV's outside the school. Road safety,They dont want to know.should you wish to assist please contact to voice your concern iandavies3@wales.gsi.gov.uk he is the director of Wales trunk roads,for the Welsh Assembly,Ieun Wyn Jones Deputy First Minister email. correspondencemail-dfm@wales.gsi.gov.uk. trish.law@wales.gov.uk AM for Blaenau Gwent(she has been great)stephen.thomas@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk he is the new deputy leader and has promised to help. also anyone else you can think of including the media. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Tredgirl84

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  16:29:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i hope a solution is found soon because i was at that school and even though there wasnt so many lorries going past it was still a very dangerious road to have to cross then
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.