Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  06:45:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another important email sent in by forum regular "Sailor".

Sent: 21 October 2008 14:42
To: DS Deputy First Minister
Subject: Issues to be raised at meeting with Deputy First Minister tomorrow

Trish Law AM and Councillor Don Wilcox (Blaenau Gwent CBC executive member for regeneration and transport) will be meeting the Deputy First Minister at approx. 5pm tomorrow (I shall accompany them).

The issues they wish to raise are as follows:

1/ Rail infrastructure. They want plans for the short extension of the Ebbw Valley railway to the Corus site to be expedited so that it is in place by 2010 when the National Eisteddfod will also be held at the Corus site - throwing up the exciting prospect of trains from Cardiff - and hopefully by then Newport - straight to the Maes!

2/ Brynbach Primary School, Tredegar. The Deputy First Minister visited nearby Tafarnaubach in November last year and subsequently hosted a meeting in the Assembly. Doug Harris, who has been a leading campaigner to find a route that would avoid the school, has come up with an option (Option 8) which proposes that eastbound on and westbound off slips be constructed at Llechryd bridge. That has won general support among individual councillors and local residents. Clearly a detailed feasibility study needs to be carried out. Could WAG finance such a study?

3/ A465 Heads of the Valleys trunk road dualling. Where are we with the timetable? And where are the National Transport Plan and review of the Trunk Road Forward Programme?

4/ Bus service cuts. Stagecoach is having to make cuts, some as a consequence of the success of the Ebbw Valley railway, some because of a cut in subsidy. When will the review of BSOG be completed?

5/ There is an additional item which the minister's special adviser has suggested should be taken in camera without officials as it is a political rather than ministerial issue.

Any problems/queries then give me a ring.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  05:54:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Email sent out to the media by "Sailor"...

I would like to take this opportunity to update the many people who have approached me on where we are with plans to redirect heavy lorries away from Brynbach Primary School, thus avoiding the old Merthyr Road, Tredegar, altogether.

One of the options, known as Option 8, has found favour with me and most people I have spoken to. It proposes that eastbound on and westbound off slip roads are constructed at Llechryd bridge. Westbound traffic leaving Tafarnaubach industrial estate wanting to access the A465 would need to continue through Llechryd and use the Rhymney interchange roundabout to the west. Similarly, HGVs travelling east along the A465 would gain access to the industrial estate via the Rhymney interchange. A new road would be built just north of the Llechryd crossing running across fields and behind the Prince of Wales Inn, linking to the top road of the industrial estate.

Option 8 would mean that the existing crossing – Tafarnaubach bridge – and old Merthyr Road at Brynbach school would not be used by HGV traffic heading to and from the industrial estate.

This option was commended to Deputy First Minister Ieuan Wyn Jones, who is also responsible for the economy and transport, by our Assembly member Trish Law and Councillor Don Wilcox, the executive member for regeneration and transport, at a meeting in the Senedd in Cardiff Bay on Wednesday, October 22.

I understand from Mrs Law that the minister suggested the next step should be to carry out a feasibility study. This, of course, costs money – and the council has precious little of it. The minister advised that the council submit a bid for Transport Grant to fund the feasibility study, but also hinted that money for new road schemes was extremely limited.

The current road conditions and accident threat to pupils at Brynbach school are unacceptable – and that was endorsed by members of the Assembly’s petitions committee in April when Councillor Brian Thomas, Tracy Davies representing parents, and I presented our petition. Two members of the committee, Val Lloyd, who chairs the committee, and Bethan Jenkins, subsequently visited Brynbach school and were horrified by the obvious road safety hazard to pupils.

I would now implore Blaenau Gwent Council to proceed with a bid for Transport Grant to conduct a feasibility study. Expectations in this community are too high to now see our local authority walk away from this all-important scheme.

Please continue the campaign – it could be a matter of life or death.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  08:33:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I respectfully ask you all to contact your local councillors to urge them to support a feasibility study.
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  09:12:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe a list of all councillors around Tredegar, along with contact details would help people contacting them?
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  12:44:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woolfy

Maybe a list of all councillors around Tredegar, along with contact details would help people contacting them?

www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk into quick links.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  14:22:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More information about this important meeting in Tredegar, from Sailor...

Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  08:39:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Further to my letter to Councillors and officials of Blaenau Gwent Council, Mr John Parsons corperate Director of the Enviroment for Blaenau Gwent has asked Mr Clive Rogers Chief Technical officer to make arrangements to submit a bid for a Transport grant from the Welsh Assembly
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  09:59:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A related News article...

Road Dualling On Target For 2020 Completion
Source - WalesOnline

DUALLING of the A465 Heads of the Valleys road is still on target to be completed by 2020.

National Assembly transport minister Ieuan Wyn Jones says that despite disappointment expressed by some AMs over the scheduling of the next stage of the work, nothing has changed in terms of the timetable.
In particular, Valleys AMs are disappointed that a start on dualling the Hirwaun to Dowlais stretch of the road, regarded by some as the most dangerous, will not be made before 2014.
Merthyr AM Huw Lewis told Mr Jones: “I am deeply disappointed that priority for dualling this road has now been set back and that work may not start until 2014.
Mr Jones said he rejected the notion that during his time as minister, the programme for the upgrading of the Heads of the Valleys road has been put back.
“I asked officials for a full report on where we were with the roads programme when I took office,” he said.
“In phases 2 and 3 of their plan, the upgrading of the roads from Gilwern to Brynmawr and Brynmawr to Tredegar was due to start before 2014, and the remaining sections – Dowlais Top, the A470, and the A470 to Hirwaun – were due to start after that.
“That is the programme I inherited, and it is the programme I announced last week.
“It was fairly clear to me in looking at that programme that the increased costs of the improvements could not be accommodated solely from my department’s capital budget, because the total cost of those schemes was estimated at £590m.
“Therefore, before announcing my review of the trunk road forward programme, and in order to prevent any slippage, I wanted to look at the opportunities that the strategic capital investment fund and structural funds could offer in delivering my roads programme.
“The Assembly will see that money has been made available for the preparatory works for the next phase of the works on the A465.
“My commitment to delivering the improvements is clear,” said Mr Jones.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  15:39:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I attended the Appeal meeting re the refusal for a New development of 25 houses off Merthyr Road with the proposed access onto Merthyr Road opposite the White Lion Garage.I can say that I am appalled and disgusted that the Highways approved the development allowing vehicles to exit the site and turn right towards the roundabout,crossing the flow of traffic.The Pavement outside would be removed causing children and parents to cross another road,the layby would also be removed.

I was very impressed with the Councillor Steve Thomas, Councillor Brian Thomas, and Councillor Haydon Trollope and Mr Barry Toose Principle Planning Officer who put up a strong case to win the appeal,it is beyond belief that they did not have the support of the Highways. I was able to play part of the DVD showing HGV,s on the Merthyr Road,photographs taken from this website were also shown.

Councillor Thomas and Councillor Morris pointed out to the Inspector that another entrance and exit could be used via Bryn Bach Street,this was visited by councillors and the Inspector.We now await the Inspectors decision which will be delivered by Jan 23. On a positive side the developer has included in his plans for access to the rear of the properties opposite the Crown Pub,or is this a sprat to catch a mackerel.The Developers have asked for FULL COSTS should they win.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  13:05:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's official Council have lost the appeal. 23 or more houses to be built opposite White Lion Coaches,entrance/exit will be on Merthyr Road. Highways are still awaiting decision on a grant from the Welsh Assembly for a feasability study for a relief road. Will not hear before March
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:14:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So another 23 houses to be located close to the entrance of the school..... Makes you think...

I see a lad almost got knocked over last week outside the school when he leap-frogged over one of the bollards straight into the path of a passing car....

Fingers crossed for the grant - not sure what the world is coming to when we need to go cap in hand to the assembly to save a child's life....
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  09:20:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre, Met our illustious Highways Councillor Mr Don Wilcox in Tesco's Q Mr Wilcox any news on the Grant application? A Umm what grant would that be? So I explained to him (He knew who I was) Reply from Councillor Wilcox "I can't see any money being available" Maybe I should have asked him when he was getting his next pay rise,or how much Council Tax was going in for his pension.Or better still "WHY the pavements had not been gritted in Tredegar Main street?
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2009 :  09:24:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOOps lost the R on my keyboard. I blame my netgear.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  21:56:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaenau Gwent Road Schemes Get £80,000 Grant
Source - South Wales Argus

TWO road projects in Blaenau Gwent are set to share an £80,000 transport grant.

Work on the A4046 Cwm Relief Road will receive a £30,000 funding boost and a safer route to Abertillery Primary School will get £50,000 if Blaenau Gwent council executive members agree they are the best roads to benefit from the Assembly’s grant.
An application was made for £60,000 to be spent on improving the A465 Heads of the Valleys Road, which included new plans for direct access from the A465 to Tafarnaubach Industrial Estate.
No funding has been allocated for this scheme because the application guidelines stated bids for new projects would not be accepted
The Community Road Safety scheme also failed to receive any funding because there was not enough community involvement in developing the scheme.
Both these projects also suffered from there being too much demand for the available funds.
The two chosen projects will be funded in full if the recommendations are approved at a meeting of the council’s executive on May 13.
The council said the ongoing development of the Ebbw Vale Railway will be provided from a separate pot to the Transport Grant in the future.
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2009 :  20:12:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks team for the written reply,I have been waiting for this before I take up the fight again. What I cannot understand is that the Deputy Minister suggested the Council apply for this grant,and the jobs worth in his office turn it down. Perhaps they need all the spare money to redecorate the offices.
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  11:52:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i totally agree it looks likes a dangerous road!
i can see that an accident could potentially happen and if there was a solution which could be found then great, but
there has been no mahor accident here so far and certainly no fatla accidents.
i am not saying that they couldnt occur but they havebt yet so why do you think they would now if they havent far all these year?
i do agree with all the baove but i am just playing devils advocate sorry
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  11:58:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rpevention si ebetter htan ucre,ot alate hwen it odes ahppen

Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2009 :  12:16:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgetmenot, YES there have been a number of accidents, No injury YET and thanks to the quick action of the Crossing lady we have not seen a child injured. You are just the person we need on our side, just wondered if you were a Councillor. I have now posted the sad news about the application near the school entrance. We now need you all to contact your councillor,AM to get this application in again before October
Go to Top of Page

forgetmenot

United Kingdom
23 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  15:24:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,

no i am not a councillor and i would deff support you in anything i can i do agree with an alternitive route needed,
i was just playing devils advocate above sorry.
i will support you and this topic where ever i can!!!
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2009 :  19:42:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love your name by the way Just as a matter of interest Trish Law has now written to The Minister for Economy and Transport Ieuan Wyn Jones AM requesting he reconsider the application for a Transport Grant for a feasibility study to determine whether the suggested route option 8 which I submitted is practicable and achievable. Lets hope she gets a favourable reply she as worked very hard on this project.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:15:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot off the press, from Doug.

Thanks Mate.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2009 :  22:20:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fingers crossed.

I was up by the school today, a complete nightmare, with HGV's all over the place !
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  09:17:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks team for all your support,we still have a fighting chance. Still not much inport from local councillors. Michael German OBE AM has written a few letters so we have support from two of our AM's and I can say Trish Law AM and her valuable right hand man Brian Walters are both working very hard for us. Still need more help from parents etc.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2009 :  12:38:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More correspondence from Doug.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2009 :  09:09:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More coming in from Doug.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.34 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.