New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13572 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2019 :  19:44:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Milkman for another great photo, this time of Tredegar Station. Milkman added:

"The picture shows station many years ago-The siding on the embankment above river had gone by 1930s (I think). Whitworth colliery is in operation, so prob about turn of century"

Gareth
Advanced Member

598 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2019 :  17:35:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It occurs to me that the plumes of steam shown in the photo were once an everyday sight everywhere over the town - completely gone now !
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13572 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2019 :  17:36:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would have loved to see the trains/loco's in Tredegar, born too late :o/

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1312 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2019 :  16:09:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I recall the smoke, steam (and the smog that I went through in London and Brum) I wonder if all the talk of "cleaning" the environment to avoid global warming is correct.
Every house had at least one fire and, in Wales, with so many colliers we burned more coal than most places.
Thinking of EV in the early 60s when they were new to LD steel making. The valley was absolutely full of orange smoke. There is nothing like that nowadays
;
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
303 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2019 :  16:54:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre - regarding your comment, I guess I was very lucky. As I grew up on Lower Farm below Bedwellty Pits at the back of the farm buildings were the sidings to Pochin Pit and when the Loco would be shunting the wagons into the siding I would jump on the gate to watch, and several times the loco driver would get me up into the cabin and give me a short ride down the sidings. As well I used to go up to the signal box between the farm and B.Pits and shown all the levers etc, and given a go to operate the system. This would never happen today. From 10 yrs every Friday after school I used to catch the train from my parents house in Blackwood up to B.Pits to stay the weekend.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1312 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2019 :  20:53:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi trefilboy, You musy have known Wyndham Perkins (another milkman) and Dai Perkins from Garnddu. He married my aunt.
Small world
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
303 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2019 :  01:14:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Milkman - yes my uncles. Don't remember Wyndham doing the milk, only driving on the Red and White. Trying hard to remember Uncle Dai's wifes name. My mums brother Islwyn Perkins mentioned you a number of times.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1312 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2019 :  20:05:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wyndham had a small milkround during WWII. He had an Austin 10 car (No possibly HB5494) that he used for milk delivery,
Dai's wife was Margaret, known as Mag- they had two sons Jack and Gwyn, neither of whom is now with us.
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
303 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2019 :  21:53:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tks MM - of course I remember now. Knew Jack and Gwyn well. Years back when we were over there we stopped at Gwyns old farm in Llanbradach which his son was running, and went to see Jacks old farm in Rudry.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
105 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2019 :  16:45:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have just logged into the Forum and the above picture caught my eye.
The sidings on the embankment were still there in the late '50s as we used to play there -- overgrown & weed infested maybe, but the rails were still there and -- probably mid '50s - I seem to remember some railways trucks "parked" there.
Right at the bottom left of the photo - but off shot - was a hand-worked grinding wheel. It was just inside the railings at the bottom of the bridge steps. We used to sharpen my Dad's hatchet on this and often, the kitchen knive - after the railway had closed
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.