Tyler family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Charlie Thomas

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  11:36:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandmothers sister(Elizabeth Thompson) married a John Tyler from Tredegar in 1876 but she died quite young(41)in 1897.I believe he remarried Clara Parry in 1898.When Elizabeth died they were living in River Row but after he remarried they were in Walter Street and had a son Alfred.Does anybody have any info on the Tyler family or the streets where they lived.Thanks in advance

milkman

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  12:22:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are both at the S end of town. Walter St still has that name. River Row is now (possibly) part of Vale Tce.
Hope that helps
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1841 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  14:57:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bowens Terrace was named River Row before it became known as Bowens Terrace.
The terraced houses facing the river that people now 'call' River Row is a continuation of Vale Terrace, the numbers on the houses should support this unless this has changed in recent years.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1488 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  16:25:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only Alfred Tyler I knew had a barbers shop in the circle where the town clock stands. He was known as Alfie Tyler, he had his shop up to the 1950s. On Alfs retirement, Billy Davies(Billy the barber) took the shop over. As I remember, Alf had a bad limp. He passed away many years ago. Hope this is of some help. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Thomas

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  18:02:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help.On the 1939 register Alfred Tyler is listed as a hairdresser so I am fairly sure this is same man.Interesting!
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1214 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  18:56:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Charlie ,I remember Alf well .He did have a limp from a ‘club foot ‘ which meant he wore special boots.Many men in those days liked very short haircuts and they would instruct him - ‘DOWN TO THE WOOD ALF’. I think ne also cut hair at the Cottage Hospital. A really hard working man.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2019 :  20:20:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alf had a daughter Rosemary, she would be about 70 now. It is possible I have a contact- if successful I will put it on here.
Incidentally Alf lived in Whitworth Tce, the part nearest Georgetown school
Go to Top of Page

Charlie Thomas

United Kingdom
5 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  08:33:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although Alfred is not a direct descendant of mine,his father John was my great/great grandfathers son-in-law. Wouldn't it be great if we all had time machines to be able to go back and say hello to all the people in our past.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1488 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  10:07:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well some,MAYBE!!
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2019 :  20:58:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned Alf Tyler had a daughter Rosemary. She went to Art College, probably in London- she met and married a much older man and they went and lived in Norfolk. (If he was much older she is possibly a widow).
Rosemary had a sister Bryony? She retained contacts in Tred and possibly still lives in the area, Does anyone know of Bryony Tyler (Prob married with different surname, in he sixties)
Go to Top of Page

dalex41

United Kingdom
24 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2019 :  15:27:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I worked with Bryony Tyler for a short while with the Council. She married Ron Williams (brother Royston) who is a relative of my wife and I believe they live either down the Tip(bottom end) or Georgetown area of Tredegar.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.43 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.