Genealogy
 Raffell family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Raffell

3 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2019 :  19:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would anyone have any info on the Raffell family. Lived in Bedwellty around 1900/1910ish. My Nan (Phyllis May Raffell) was born there in 1908. I believe her parents were named Edwin and Marina (married in Bedwellty 1907). They moved there from Plymouth as Edwin worked in the mines. Returned to Plymouth thereafter although not sure of exact dates.

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1841 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2019 :  01:20:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know if it is the parish of Bedwellty or the village Bedwellty?
Go to Top of Page

Raffell

3 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2019 :  08:37:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thankyou for your reply. Apologies, the info I have is very vague. According to my mum, she referred to new Tredegar quite often if this helps. I also read a Facebook thread regarding a William Raffell who lived in Derlwyn St. Phillipstown at around that time (moving between Plymouth and Phillipstown), although could be coincidental yet Edwin's father I believe was called William.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1841 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2019 :  15:26:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New Tredegar is in the next valley to Tredegar.New Tredegar is in the Rhymney valley.
If you look at a Google map you will see the distance between the two places. I believe the records for that area are in Cardiff, Bargoed library also hold some records, but of course you can find information on Ancestry and Find my Past.
I hope you will have more luck now that you know that your family did not live in Tredegar.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1346 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2019 :  20:43:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
gwsw is correct. Phillipstown is part of New Tred just to the south (If my memory is right).
In fact if you carry on through P/Town one gets to Bedwellty village
Go to Top of Page

Raffell

3 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2019 :  21:17:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Again, Thankyou for your responses. Unfortunately my geographic knowledge of the area is relatively poor, your information will hopefully help with my search. There isn't much information around on the Raffell family, neither in Plymouth or Bedwellty, although from the little I've learned so far it seems there may have been two lines of Raffells, both in Bedwellty at around that time. This, as you'll appreciate has hindered me somewhat. For example, according to BMD records, there were two Phyllis May Raffells born there, just a few years apart which seems unusual, yet I suppose not impossible to be coincidental. Bedwellty at the beginning of the century seems to have been a major draw for people seeking employment, as the relatively vast increase in population shows in that short space of time. I guess my quest continues ....

Edited by - Raffell on 16/05/2019 21:18:16
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1841 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2019 :  16:08:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the records, the family were back living in Plymouth in 1931. To find out exactly when they moved from New Tredegar you would have to access the Electoral registers.

I can see that, as you said there are two Phyllis Raffell,
Phyllis May Raffell born 1908, New Tredegar and
Phyllis M Raffell born 1919.
There is a possibility that they were cousins, I have researched many family trees and have found that when siblings married and had their own children they each called their children the same names.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.32 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.