Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

administrator
Forum Admin

United Kingdom
99 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2003 :  18:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
11th February 2003
The planning department of Blaenau Gwent Council - By Pete Topping
During the last two years, I have been constructing my own house located in the Dukestown area of the town. As you can imagine, it has been a lot of hard work. I purposely set out from the start to only use local tradesmen and suppliers and this has proved very successfully. Anyway, I have learnt during building of my house of several "inconsistencies" from the planning department of Blaenau Gwent Council that I'm compelled to bring to the public's attention. I recently got interviewed by our local paper, the Gwent Gazettes (a great source of information on news stories and events in Tredegar and its surrounding towns) on my issues with our local planning department. Please click here to see a copy of the interview.

In conclusion, I have been running this web-site at my own cost for over eight years. It is my goal to promote the town of Tredegar, and to give whatever support I possibly can to the businesses and people of the town. I have designed, implemented, maintained and promoted local business web-sites from the www.tredegar.co.uk site, at no cost. Now if I'm active doing something pro-active for the town in which I live, why all this negativity from the planning department of our Council. Why should people move to Tredegar when all they will hit will be a blank wall (no pun intended) from our local Council's Planning Department. I'm currently deciding whether to pull this web-site, such is my dismay over recent events.

The planning department is based in Rassau Ebbw-vale, in a normal building - and not in an ivory tower!

Don't get me wrong. The vast majority of work done by the Council is excellent. You can just look around our town to see what great work is being achieved, but this high standard is not being maintained throughout the Planning Department.

At the end of the day, I'm just a local bloke (who cannot speak Latin ....), that simply wants to build a brick wall to the same standard as the rest of his house. I know and expect the Planning Department should ensure that a minimum standard should be adhered to, but If I want to improve on it (and place my own plants in my own garden, where I want to plant them..), then why can't I ?

Please e-mail any question/comments to me here.

Rgds

Pete Topping

linda

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2004 :  22:01:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have also had the same problem with Blaenau Gwent Planning Department. I wonder if i hold the record for 15 months waiting for planning permission to renovate a wall. Another grievance is the inability of the department to firstly make a decision and secondly pass accurate messages between each other (still waiting for a phone call from November 2003 - i'm very tired waiting by the phone, im covered in dust!!). Oddly enough a complaint was entered against it in the first place, because of the condition of the wall. Ordinarily this would be fine, but when you look up the back lane of Glyn Terrace and see some of the state of the surroundings (largely not within planning regulations i may add!), I find this complaint really amusing. Also there is a large delapidated warehouse with holes in the roof and no guttering whatsoever, but that is quite acceptable apparently. Oh well I suppose as the old saying goes, its not what you know its who you know, which is a shame as I have been in higher education for a number of years now!!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13888 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2004 :  15:38:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Linda,
My own issues with the Planning Department got resolved, and to put it simply, I won. What you need to do is to go straight to the head of the well. Write a simple letter of complaint asking for the reason of the delay and send it to:-

Steve Smith
Head of Planning Control
(Get the address of the office in the Rassau)

Also send a copy to :-
The CEO
Municipal Offices
Civic Centre
Ebbw Vale
NP23 6XB

And, also send a copy of your letter to your councilor – this is very important ……

Make sure that you include in your letter that you are sending copies to the other parties…that way they know that Chief Executive Office (their Boss…….) is aware of the problem…..

Also add to the bottom of your letter that you will be contacting the local press if the issue is not resolved in the next 30 days, as you are sure that they will be interested in the matter…

Your issue is different from mine, but just as annoying.

Good luck with it, and let us all know how you get on……

Rgds,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.