Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  09:06:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Council Tax - Blaenau Gwent Still Highest In Wales

Many thanks to Don for the info.

And what Town in Blaenau-Gwent pays the most ?

ddraig

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  11:15:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why I hate percentages, when you say Blaenau Gwent council tax has risen by 3.9% and Newport has risen by 6.95%, if you didn't have the actual amounts you'd be thinking we have a good deal, grrrrr!!
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1703 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  11:39:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A massive difference of £565 from the highest to the lowest. The Vale of Glamorgan the wealthiest part of wales, are paying a huge £405 less than we are. There is something radically wrong with the system. It would seems the poorer you are, the more you pay. There is seriously wrong, and totally unfair.
Go to Top of Page

dalex41

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  13:41:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some BGCBC Councillor and/or Senior Officer will explain. On the other hand don't hold your breath.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

714 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  16:24:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we are to make this compulsory payment each year, I think we should at least have the explanation why we are paying this extortionate cost with a rise EVERY YEAR, which is much more than other surrounding councils are charging their residents. Where is this money going is it being spent on unnecessary things. A lot of people are struggling to make these monthly payments even though they are working. It just seems so unjust to have a rise like this and pay the most.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1264 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  16:45:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buchn,very soon the WG will be able to inflict additional PAYE ,God help us. Perkhaps it I time to replace rates with direct tax
Donít you think the number of Authorities ,each with their Directors and Councils costing us ,could be reduced to 5 or 6 - still small by English County standards.
Go to Top of Page

Pip

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  18:06:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should be questioned why band B and above should pay more for the same service as a band A household. This equally applies to,the Police levy, water rates etc.
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

598 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  21:36:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
233 pound a month for band f I am dreading the new increase
Go to Top of Page

Daleks
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
479 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2020 :  22:09:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are too many levels of governance and too many local authorities . 22 should be reduced to 6 to reduce the numbers of fingers in the pie.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2020 :  19:39:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is too easy to hark back but about 14 years ago we had a PM called Blair. He had a great idea he would perform an analysisof Council tax levels- there was an absolute commitment that on average tax would not rise.
Who should he try it on but us (the Welsh).
The resukt was that in excess of 30% had a tax rise and fewer than 105 a tax drop,
I know that I saw a rise as did many in Tred.
Blair might have been short sighted but not daft. He saw immediately that if implemented in England he would lose many votes soo it was never extended. BUT the Welsh still had to pay the new rates- (Do not forget that a rise also took place in police and local rates also)
Its too late now but how the hell did we not see that this tax was going to rise everywhere but we would have a far bigger increase because of the Blair adjusment.
So there you are- thats my rant- My tax is not as high as BG but it is bleeding high and there seems nothing we can do
Go to Top of Page

billbaily
Advanced Member

714 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  15:54:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wouldn't it be a lovely gesture if the council waived two months council tax in light of all that is happening, especially when people will have no/very limited wages coming in to pay this charge. Had my bill this morning and a £63 rise from last years bill - Just great! Is it worth being employed - I am starting to wonder about this.
Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1264 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  18:17:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bill ally,presumably the ban will affect public meetings involving Councillors and Officers so they may may well decide to give up a proportion of 3 months salary
Go to Top of Page

tomvc90

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  21:05:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply down to incompetency, over-staffing, lack of accountability, voter apathy and councillors in it for the money.
Go to Top of Page

tomvc90

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  21:06:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Simply down to incompetency, over-staffing, lack of accountability, voter apathy and councillors in it for the money.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13714 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2020 :  19:05:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I have posted my Council tax bill on here for the last dozen years or so, and this is my bill from April 2020.

No typing error, thats almost £3,000, or £242 per month.

Ladies & Gentleman, may I present the town of "Tredegar",
the most expensive place to live in Wales (Again!)

Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
480 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2020 :  20:12:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shocking......
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

598 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2020 :  14:43:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thatís the same bill as I received Friday Pierre.nearly 3,000 pounds as you say I think it time to put a cap on it .....Itís getting ridiculous now.
Go to Top of Page

dalex41

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2020 :  23:53:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You should only pay for the public services you use for example how many senior citizens among us use services like Leisure, Education, Social Services for starters I suspect just these 3 services alone take up a high percentage of the total.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

190 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2020 :  08:17:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lived in England quite a long time and the tax bands are a lot cheaper. I checked for 2020 and still way less than Blaenau Gwent. I was wondering what might be the answer to so high prices, and I think I found it. Correct me if I'm wrong. Property prices. In South Wales they are cheap, as chips comparing to England. In Blaenau Gwent you pay a third, quarter (or sometimes fifth if we speak larger towns) of the price you will have to pay in Sussex for example. Conclusion to this is increased council tax price, as there there is massive imbalance in property prices between regions. Plus a bonus factor - Wales is poorer than England, and it's very common, that the poorer the country, the more corruption ;).
Go to Top of Page

tomvc90

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  18:28:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, if the majority of eligible voters in Blaenau Gwent voted Conservative, (other parties are available), instead of voting for the usual inept Labour candidates, it would soon change. C'mon give it a go, pass it on, lets see what happens! We can stop Coronavirus, let's stop these Labour parasites.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  10:39:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
tomvc90, Labour doesn't have control over BGCBC, so whoever you vote for probably won't make a difference to the council tax.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  15:11:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Inmy comment elsewhere I assumed that BG had a large PERCENTAGE rise. I see now that was wrong but the actual amount is high. The table shows Mon as having an almost 6% rise- which is truly phenomenal.
My mistake but both are so bad
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  16:02:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's worth mentioning that the value of houses within the band's are different for the countries in the Uk.
Go to Top of Page

SeaWolf86
Advanced Member

190 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  16:57:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seems to me irrelevant, as the number of bands is the same. But there is a significant imbalance in property bands quantity. See what percentage of properties F band and higher is in BG, comparing to Somerset i. e. Very tiny. I checked this only in few counties, but it seems the bigger imbalance in percentage of tax bands and the cheaper the properties, the higher the council tax.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1466 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  18:37:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you check areas in say, Somerset they are paying an average of £1800, band D house values £68001-£88000
Blaenau Gwent is £1712, Band D £1712 house values £91000-£123000
Part of the reason we have high council tax is that there is a higher rate of unemployment and people claiming benefits, therefore unfortunately the people who have and do work hard for a living and don't claim benefits have to foot the bill.

Edited by - ddraig on 05/04/2020 18:42:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.22 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.