billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  14:53:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Does anyone remember this past cuisine?

Fish on Fridays
1950's spam fritters
Tin fruit & evaporated milk
Heinz tinned potato salad or vegetable salad
1958 Billy Butlins introduced Chop Suey & Chips into his holiday camps for the first time
Late 60's boxed Vesta meals popular
1970's the arrival of spaghetti bolognese accompanied with Mateus rose wine, Blue Nun, Chianti
1960's Pre dinner drinks served with cheese & tinned pineapple chunks on a stick and placed in a melon or grapefruit to make it look like a hedgehog
1970's Tiffany's nightclubs started serving sausage/chicken/scampi in a basket
1970's saw Berni Inns serving melon/prawn cocktail starters. Mixed grills, black forest gateaux and lemon meringue.

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

624 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  21:42:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used to love chicken in the basket in Tiffany’s nightclub washed down with a glass of larger and lime....that was in the 70s great memories and a great night club.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1777 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  22:28:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget about the first Chinese restaurant in town was the Hang Hong in Morgan St. opposite the park gates. It was probably the first time we ever tasted a hot curry. They also had a successful take away from the premises. That was way back in the early sixties.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5325 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  06:28:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loved the vesta paella that was my favourite on a Saturday night

Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  07:43:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Think I can remember Tiffany's having large coloured paper lamp shades all over the ceiling and lovely chicken in the basket

Vesta boxed dried chow mein with crispy noodles - yum

Hang Hong had brilliant special fried rice edged with chicken & pork slices with a fried egg on the top - it looked like a small mountain on your plate
Go to Top of Page

Angel
Advanced Member

395 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  08:57:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember coming out of the New Club on a Saturday night and going over to the Chinese it was always very busy
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  10:02:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Think I can remember the 'in thing' was to go in the 70's to The Drum & Monkey (Clydach area) for... wait for it! Burger & chips.
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5325 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2020 :  05:21:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about fry up made from the left over dinner on a Sunday ? Always remember my gran making this ,good days

Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2020 :  10:17:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still have fry-up cupcake, if there's enough leftover from dinner, waste not want not I remember my son liking Angel Delight, awful pink stuff, I think you can still get it.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2020 :  10:54:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Anyone remember Chicken Capri in a tin - chicken pieces in a whitish sauce, very exotic. If I recall correctly it came from Elmo's supermarket, where Family Vision is now
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1777 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2020 :  16:10:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excuse me Billbaily, I managed Elmo's and we did not sell chicken Capri, but it may have been fine Fare.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2020 :  10:06:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well, well I'm impressed with your memory of stock Butch, Fine Fare it must have been. I stand corrected
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

410 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2020 :  10:09:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember my time in the Royal Navy, Breakfast Sh.t on a Raft Kidneys.on Toast. Babies Heads, Beef&Kidney pies. Pot Mess, a good all round Stew
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2020 :  10:11:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2020 :  10:36:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Your a braver person than me that sounds an offal menu
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

410 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2020 :  12:34:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate Kidneys or Liver the Devils Tongue
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5325 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  05:29:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ddraig

I still have fry-up cupcake, if there's enough leftover from dinner, waste not want not I remember my son liking Angel Delight, awful pink stuff, I think you can still get it.

My children loved Angel Delight ddraig and the trifle out of the box

Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  12:45:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Loved the shortback boiled bacon Terry in the market sold in the 80's. I must say he and his staff kept that stall looking immaculate. Always a queue waiting to be served.
Go to Top of Page

Snowy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  16:09:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morrisons do lovely shortback boiled bacon at the deli counter, that's if you can stick the loud music & the wait at the checkouts because there's never enough staff on.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  17:11:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady in the market who sold fresh cream cakes which were to die for,the meringues especially, we always had a large gateaux from her on christmas

Edited by - ddraig on 18/10/2020 17:13:29
Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

624 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  17:46:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stall in the market selling lovely cakes was Mrs Wainwright she travelled every day from Hereford.They were delicious.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1568 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  21:29:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, ShelleyW I couldn't think of her name, oh, I would love one of those huge meringues with a cup of tea now
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2020 :  11:54:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading aout Sailor being in the navy I sailed to Cyprus on HMS Ovcean, a carrier. Unbelievably they served far superior food to the army even though the army hada proper kitchen etc. The navy really looked after its people
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2020 :  12:05:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Snowy, I look forward to queueing and listening to the Christmas songs at the same time
Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5325 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  05:20:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can always remember my father making me brawn sandwiches ,loved them till one day he told me what brawn was made of ,never ate it again

Go to Top of Page

billbaily

917 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2020 :  08:15:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Couldn't agree more Cupcake, looks like clear jelly holding a pink mosaic of ? together. Not for me!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.21 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.