Castle Street & Church Street 1900's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Webteam
Webteam

23580 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2020 :  08:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to djholly for sending in the images.

Castle Street

Church Street Bottom

Church Street Top

milkman

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2020 :  11:04:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lowest pic is of the Yard Gates. Loos and trains crossed the road there. On their way to the "upper coal yard", where the car park is now.
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2020 :  17:55:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent photographs. I remember the Locos using the track at the gates but, I can't figure out how the works loco used the track. When I worked at the works the locos back shunted on the track behind the forge pond, then into the coal yard. I do remember back in 1950 a fair ground being held there for a week, so the track was not used then.
I shall research some older maps; they should be on the forum some where.

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

629 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2020 :  19:04:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The photo of the lower end of Church st you can see a shop with people outside,Thatís where the Demo Club used to be.Do anyone remember what shop it was.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1527 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2020 :  20:54:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ike, There wasa fair at the Globe each year. The track was separated from the fair by a permanent fence.
I believe that in my fathers time plays were performed in that ground, I recall "mria in the Red Barn" or something similar.
Of course Whitehorns Balcksmith was next the the Globe. I took our horse there to be shoed
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
207 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2020 :  17:29:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The limestone i assume came from Trevil down the tram road as we called it in the 40's, to the iron works. The track shown in the photo looks like standard 4'-10'' gauge to me and I do remember works loco at the gates in the 40's. I just wondered why the track was used when limestone was no longer needed when the iron works closed. Only conclusion I can come to is that; the loco's reversed along the track for some reason.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.