New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2020 :  13:38:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to djholly for sending in these and the previous images.

Union Workhouse

Whitworth Colliery

Tredegar Station before 1922

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2020 :  17:31:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two great pics again from DJH-
Three of my children were born in St James
It seems really odd to think that the station has been closed for 60 years but the pic is of the station only 20 years before it closed. The station was considerably updated after this pic was taken
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2020 :  21:29:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics, I would like a pound for every time I run up the bridge to have a faceful of smoke and steam in my face, when the train passed underneath.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2020 :  10:42:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mistake- It was 40 years before it closed.
Looking at the horse and wagon I wondered if it may have been Archie? Sherman. His later cart was much bigger with a heavier horse
Go to Top of Page

jbanks

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  12:53:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My wife's family have lived in the area since her paternal grandparents came over from Ireland around 1905. We're particularly interested in finding out more about her grandmother who died in Ty Bryn in 1921. We know a lot about her, including her marriage, childrens’ births and deaths, and her death and burial. Her death certificate shows that she died in Ty Bryn, and she was buried in St Sannan’s in December 1921. While we have pictures of her husband and children from the time, the one thing we do not have is any image of her. We’ve searched the admission and discharge records held by Gwent Archives, but the one thing that we’re desperate to find is an image of her. Does anyone know if there are any picture archives for the institution, including admission photographs?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  18:29:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

Great pics, I would like a pound for every time I run up the bridge to have a faceful of smoke and steam in my face, when the train passed underneath.

Hi Butch,

Could you see over the sides of the bridge or was it to high? Trying to get some scale of it.

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

keanjo

United Kingdom
1379 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  19:01:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre,the man at the top of the steps indicates the panels are about 5ft. high.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 27/12/2020 :  21:16:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Pierre, the bridge floor was roughly 25 feet to the ground. Of course it seemed higher because you had to take your head height into consideration, and before you say it, no I don't have a big head.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2020 :  17:14:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at it carefully the chap in right foreground looks as though he has a large wheeled suitcase (as though he is going on a long holiday). I really think it is a railway trolley with a very large parcel but they seldom left the station proper.
On a matter of history it is quite likely that we would still have a railway if the TIC had made a different decision.- Both Markham and Oakdale were served by the GWR. (Halls Rd branch line) Had they been served down the west side of valley then we would have had a railway at least until the 1990s.
The other significant collieries, Hollybush, Pochin and Wyllie were on the west side but closed earlier
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
134 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2020 :  15:33:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We children played on this bridge almost daily as we lived quite near - Park Place and Bowen's Terrace. We also loved to stand in the steam of the engines when they passed underneath. At that age, we couldn't see over the sides of the bridge but later, I estimated them to be about 1.5metres -- say 4feet 6inches.
When I was much older - in about 1969\70 - . I drove my 1956 Vauxhall Velox into the station yard after having bought a better car from Dai Davies who, by then, was using the yard for used \ old car storage.
We were always on the platform doing our bit of trainspotting and knew all the staff working there and in the engine sheds. I often used to take Roy Jones lunch up to him in the signal box (as he lived in Bowens Terrace) and his wife would make it fresh for him and get us children to take it over. We'd stay for a while watching him work all the levers and opening or shutting the gates at the level crossing.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2020 :  11:02:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by butch

Hi Pierre, the bridge floor was roughly 25 feet to the ground. Of course it seemed higher because you had to take your head height into consideration, and before you say it, no I don't have a big head.

Thank you Butch

I know you head is normal size, as is your hat

Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2021 :  15:57:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bridge takes me back when I was about 9 year old climbing over the Park place side and looking at a blackbird nest on the ledge with a few eggs in it. Unfortunately, news of nest discovery soon gets around. Following day the nest was empty. In those days egg collecting was hobby of many boys.
In the photo I cannot see the gates which where manually opened by station porter. The railway lines in the foreground are the TIC's lines down to Ty-Trist Colliery.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2021 :  21:46:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think the gates were installed when cars and lorries become more widely used. As you will probably recall, the gates were a set of four, and they opened and closed, exactly where the horse and cart and people are standing. You will of course appreciate that I wasn't born when this photo was taken.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1624 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2021 :  14:36:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the gates were slightly to the left of this pic. I think the white screens are actually hoardings where advertisements and later announcements of films were displayed
The gates were actuated remotely from the signal box at all times until the passenger trains ceased. After that for perhaps 4 years they were closed by hand.
I have an undated drawing by W W Tasker showing the gates as controlled from the box
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2021 :  15:40:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milkman you are correct. The angle of the photo . does not give a square projection. The middle stair way comes outside of the platform so there are a few yards to the actual rail track. What puzzles me is how the gates are operated from the signal box. L.M.S used wire control on signal and points movement. Wires were above ground near the track. Was it done by hydraulics.?

Go to Top of Page

cupcake

5369 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  05:38:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love these old photos ,keep posting

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.95 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.