CHESS PLAYERS FROM TREDEGAR
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mart56

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2021 :  12:29:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am researching the history of chess in Tredegar. The town had three very strong players in William Pemberthy (1861-1940), Bruce McPherson (1897-1974) and Harry Pugh. Pugh and Pemberthy were both miners and McPherson a teacher. Harry Pugh won the county title several times and was still playing in 1954. I would be delighted to hear from anyone with information about these people or about any other chess players from Tredegar.

milkman

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2021 :  19:44:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce McPherson was head of Earl St school in the late 1940s.
He lived in Bethel Ave and had two sons, Ian and Robin I think. Robin still lives locally, Merthyr I think
I did not know he was a star chess player
Hope you get answers about the others
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2021 :  21:28:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce Macpherson taught me for a term at Georgetown Boys school in the early 40's he also had a daughter named Jean she was very nice and a clever girl; lost touch with her once she went to University.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13888 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2021 :  14:04:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to HIMALAYAN SCOUT for sending in the two images below.

Great Stuff :o)

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2021 :  19:30:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recognised Bruce in the upper pic but was not certain in the lower.
What goes around comes around- At least 10 persons in the lower had moustaches-
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2021 :  20:26:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Milkman, Bruce McPherson is easily recognisable with his hoop coloured socks.
I think perhaps that the person sitting next to Bruce in the front row named A.Lush could well be the life long friend of Aneurin Bevan.
But I am not sure if it is.
Perhaps some of you older members on the forum might know.
They were all very good chess players as they won numerous chess trophies.
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2021 :  20:43:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mart56.I am sure you will find the above photos of interest and hope they will help you to build a history of chess players from Tredegar.
I hasten to add that I do not know if every member of the chess club at that time were all from the town.
Being from Tredegar myself I played during the 90's for Brynmawr Chess Club, and as a club we played a simultaneous match against Britains first chess Grand Master ( Tony Miles-deceased)and grandmaster (Michael Adams)
Prior to his all too early passing, Tony Miles played and defeated two ex world chess champions ( Boris Spassky and Anatoly Karpov.)
Spassky of course gained notoriety for his defeat to Bobby Fischer in that epic 1972 world championship match in Reyjavic.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 27/03/2021 20:45:35
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2021 :  20:50:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Milkman, I think in the bottom photo that Bruce maybe in the front row and third from left?
If anyone can put a name to any of the chess players in the bottom photograph I'm sure Mart56 would be grateful and so would I.
Many Thanks.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 27/03/2021 20:57:37
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2021 :  15:29:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bruce Macpherson is certainly 3rd from the left; as regards Archie Lush I'm not too sure. I can only remember him during latter years. It looks to me that the bottom picture was taken a few years earlier than the top. Any ideas of the dates photo's where taken? Dress code suggests Around late 1920 early 20's.

Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1963 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2021 :  15:50:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember Bruce MacPherson, but having worked in Tredegar Town centre for most of my life, I knew Archie Lush quite well,but he is not on either photo.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2021 :  19:47:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also knew Archie Lush and think quite possibly it is he.
He had more hair and wore glasses when I knew him but this is many years earlier. Archie lived in Gladstone Place at one time I think
Go to Top of Page

Himalayan Scout
Advanced Member

347 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2021 :  00:00:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am inclined to agree with you Ike that the dress code from the bottom photograph suggests an earlier date taken than the top.
When I was given these photographs back in 1996 I was told via the chess fraternity at the time, that the top photo was the Tredegar chess team of the 1940's and that's all I really have to go on.
However back in 1996 I showed the top photograph to a then neighbour with the same surname of the named person (T.Fleet.2nd from left in the back row)and covering the names.
He pointed directly at T. Fleet and said "That's my father".
But he didn't seem to know too much about his father's chess playing days.
I looked up Archie Lush on Google to find that he was Knighted in 1969 for social services to Wales, becoming Sir Archie Lush and was educated at Tredegar Grammar school and Jesus College Oxford.
Tredegar Grammar School was a credit to our town in more ways than one.
I would like to think that the A.Lush in the photograph is one and the same?
I appreciate all and anymore comments from members of the forum.

Edited by - Himalayan Scout on 30/03/2021 00:07:24
Go to Top of Page

Mart56

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  11:33:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everyone for your help. Tredegar only one the South Wales Championship once but that was a shock when you consider the size of clubs like Swansea, Cardiff and Newport. They also won the Borders League which ran through the 1920s for clubs from the valleys in Glamorgan and Gwent
. Many thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Mart56

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2021 :  18:25:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The full article on Tredegar Chess Club can be found at https://www.welshchessunion.uk/tredegar-chess-club-history/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.72 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.