Anyone know where this street was in Tredegar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  11:59:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Looking at a WW1 memorial site on the internet and came across an entry for

Bricknell Alfred John lance sergeant 9th battalion welsh regiment who was killed in action 1917

lived in Vale Terrace but then to Shaftesbury Place Tredegar

Does anyone know where this street was in Tredegar as it's not one I've come across

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  19:51:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I donít know if this answers your question, but it may help -

https://shaftesbury-remembers.goldhillmuseum.org.uk/story/alfred-john-brickell/

The reference to ĎShaftesbury Placeí may refer to a memorial in Brickellís home town, so itís unlikely to be anywhere in Tredegar. Would be a classy name for a new housing development, though.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  21:08:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for information I did wonder if it referred to somewhere else as it didnít sound like a Tredegar street name. It would be nice to know what street names that no longer exist in our town. Anyone know of any ?
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  08:42:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Or does anyone know what was the first ever street built in Tredegar?
Go to Top of Page

Bob

South Africa
134 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  16:59:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you mean "Tredegar Ironworks" or when it was then later known as "Tredegar"? I've been told that the first street built "outside" Tredegar was Bowen's Terrace (then "River Row") in 1807
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

667 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  17:49:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since the Sirhowy Ironworks preceded the Tredear one - I would have thought the very first streets would have been built in Sirhowy.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1963 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  21:09:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
River Row is actually Vale Terrace, and was built in the 1860s.
It's a tough question as there are some really old properties in Scwrfa, Dukestown, and Sirhowy. Streets usually sprung up around the industrial areas of the town.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  23:52:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bedwellty house was first built in 1822 so next year I wonder will we have celebrations for that. Some of the terraces here are quite old too they really have stood the test of time. We certainly have a lot of history connected to our town something to be very proud of donít you think.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1695 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2021 :  11:14:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It says on the Bedwellty House site that it was built in 1818, we missed a party there?
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2021 :  18:52:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There must be different dates listed as on bedwellty house and park .co.uk it says 1822. Not sure which date is correct now, hopefully we havenít missed a grand celebration weíll have to wait and see.
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1695 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  01:04:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right billbaily, it does say 1822, the visitwales site says 1818 and a few other historical sites say 1825 and 1826 so it's take your pick by the looks.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1963 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  08:41:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe they started to build in 1818 and completed it in 1825. That sounds about right, if today's building contractors are anything to go by.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  10:12:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well if its 1822 bring on the celebrations I think Tredegar needs something to look forward to - a much needed celebration of our stunning Bedwellty House & grounds. Maybe hire some actors to dress up in the styles of the day back then, involve our schools too.

Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  20:06:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having looked at the reference it refers to the town of Shaftesbury, Dorset!! The connection is that his parents moved to Tred.
We are all so very Welsh but in almost all cases our families came from England. Ireland and even Scotland.
My family were Welsh and English but my G/G father was Irish who joined a Scottish regt in Dublin, which brought him immediately to Wales where he married a Pembs girl.
In that regt he fought in S Africa in the Zulu wars.
He was also based in St Helena and said that he was involved in the exhumation of Napoleon, I imagine most of our family histories have such stories
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1620 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  20:44:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wit regard to "first" streets I am sure that Iron Row and Iron St were very early.
They we adjacent to the works. However, ther wer streets behind the "globe" which were very near,
A Tred boy John Hilling wrote a paper about Tred which may have gone back that far. Perhaps the library has a copy. I know John lived afterwards near Roath Park in Cardiff. He would be at leat mid- Eighties but may still be with us.
Go to Top of Page

billbaily

1264 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  21:07:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting 2 posts to read. Great to know the history of our town from members. I think the prospect of work brought many people to settle here
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1695 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2021 :  03:43:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a Shaftesbury Park near Newport.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Marshall

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  18:00:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone please shed light upon where Police Lane was in Tredegar? Iíve managed to locate all sorts of locations in Tredegar whilst researching my family but seem to have drawn a blank here.
Go to Top of Page

Gareth
Advanced Member

667 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  18:50:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Jimmy Preece when he wrote in the Gwent Gazette - the first Police station was Nr1. Salisbury street - this is where the Bowls club house is today.
Might that have been known as Police Lane at some point ?
Go to Top of Page

nutandboltdarlo

United Kingdom
124 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  19:29:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Police Lane was (is?) in Dukestown, better known as Police Row. By comparing names in the 1939 register with names in the 1911 Census, I realised that there were identical families living in Police Row (1911) and Police Lane (1939). For example, there was a Frederick Jenkins living at no.5 Police Row/Lane. The comparison between the two names is slightly complicated by the fact that in 1911 Police Row is recorded as being in Breconshire, but Police Lane is in Monmouthshire. I trust this helps.

Edited by - nutandboltdarlo on 24/05/2021 19:30:14
Go to Top of Page

Keith Marshall

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  21:51:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much, both of you. You are so ingenious and lightning fast in posting this. Is there a database of street names to be found, whether their position and etymology relating to Tredegar? I keep looking, and making slow but steady progress!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.69 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.