General Discussion - Tredegar
 question on behalf of a family member
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Cae

2390 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  19:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi all- a family member is intrigued by what works used to take place in the St James forest? There are very old large pipes partly underground / overgrown in the forest (not the current waterflow pipes) and he wonders what used to be there?
Also he wonders what work is to take place there as signs have been put up on the main forest path warning of the overhead wires and a height marker for vehicles?

Edited by - Cae on 10/06/2021 19:58:21

butch

United Kingdom
1956 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2021 :  23:19:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Car, I think I can answer the first part of the query. I am guessing that you are talking about the south side of the forest. Until the early 1960s St James reservoir served the Georgetown area of the town, the pipe you are referring to, carried the water from the reservoir to the water to the purifying water works plant, which was situated near the mile field ,above fields road. The water works was demolished in the late 1970s /early 1980s. I saw the new safety tape and signs on the overhead electric lines on my walk this morning, and can only guess they are to make the poles and cables more noticeable, as the trees and other plant are growing around them. Also the illegal bikers and quads churning this lovely area up, and have pulled down the fences very near to the overhead cables, making them more exposed and accessible to vandalism. I hope this is of some help.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2390 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2021 :  11:28:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Butch!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.