Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 TOWN NEWS
 Reply to Questions Raised by Local Resident.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  13:10:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All,

As you all know, a few weeks ago I send a letter to the Tredegar Town Council via my local Councilor.

These questions were drawn up by looking at the question that were asked on the forum (please see /forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1747 for details) and by myself as a local person that lives, and pays Council tax in Tredegar, of which a proportion goes to the running of the local Town Council.

The contents of the letter asked the following question to the Town council for it to answer or comment on.

The questions asked were as follows:-

1. Does the Town Council believe that it provides good value for money to the
council Tax Payers of the town?

2. Can the town council please identify what advantages Tredegar has over the
other towns in Blaenau Gwent having its own Town Council?

3. Can the Town Council explain why their web-site is so out of date?

4. Can the Town Council please provide this web-site with an overview of its
handling of the recent restoration work of the Town Clock?

5. Does the Council believe it’s getting adequate funding from the people of
Tredegar (Council Tax Payers) and from Blaenau Gwent Council?

6. What exactly is the Town Council responsible for?

7. Has any member of the Council have any experience at top management in
running a multimillion pound company. If not, why not?

8. Does the Council feel that it is promoting the town to bring investment, or is
this not its task?

9. Do any of the members of the Tredegar Town Council also sit on the BGCBC,
the Tredegar Development Trust or any other organisation that receives tax
payers’ monies, or grants from a public source...

10. With the news of a Multi-Million pound tourism grant being made available to
the heads-of-the-valleys area, are you as the local town council going to ask the
local residents for input on what the monies should be spent on. Indeed, do you
have any real power is dictating where any of these funds will?

11. What are the Towns Councils comments on that other town’s in the borough
(particularly Ebbw-Vale) have prospered more in recent years over Tredegar? Do
you consider that in its current state (lack of investment in jobs, in people and
lack of funding) that Tredegar is behind Ebbw-Vale in terms of commitment and
funding from Blaenau Gwent County Council? If you think this is correct, what
actions are you going to take to resolve the matter?

We have now received a reply from Tredegar Town council. I made it clear in my letter to them, any reply would be made available for all to see here.

I did ask for any reply's to be sent electronically to me, but they have not done this .

The reply received will be seen in the next post below....

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  15:12:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letter details received form Tredegar Town Coulcil.

7th Feb 2008.

With referance to your letter which was discussed by Tredegar Town Council at its last meeting.

We are taking legal advice on the content of your letter. When we have received that advice and considered it, we will contact you.

This constitutes the required response under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act.

Yours Sincerely

John R.P. Evans

The letter can also be downloaded from /download/Reply-TCC-09022008-NA.pdf
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  15:51:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this issue should be discussed in The Gwent Gazzette. Get on to the editor Pierre as the reply you have received is verging on the rediculous.

Edited by - morris1975 on 09/02/2008 19:09:46
Go to Top of Page

myriad
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  17:18:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duh!
This is a labour council, voted by the people for the people.
And it cannot comment to the people.
Is this a Welsh meaning for claiming the 5th ammendment.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  17:41:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what scares them about the questions so much they need to take legal advice?
are they worried they may get asked more difficult questions in the future?

regards

sean

Go to Top of Page

groover

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  19:58:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
surely all this means is

if the town council doesnt know its own remit or raison d'etre then soemthing must be seriously wrong

the questions asked were not difficult, it seems to me that the labour party (and lets be fair, its tredegar branch of the local labour party that runs it) are running scared

they are just buying time - surely they have the objects or aims of their purpose within their constitution??????
Go to Top of Page

groover

United Kingdom
83 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  21:16:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

hello,

im sat here giggling, one of the questions put to the the town council was - has any member of the council had experience at top level management

look at the current state of the council.
the leader of the council (county borough) used to work in the steelworks, his duties - allegidly were photocopying, now leader of the council! please....

look at the past and current cabinet memebrs of the borough council
one, whos directorate was social services, used to be a fitter in the steelworks - no wonder BGCBC is going down hill, what on earth does this man know about social services, changing an oil filter, yes. making decsions that could possibly alter peoples lives for the worse - no

we had another one who used to work in the stores in the steelworks - they gave him the leisure directorate, or should that be, he gave himself the leisure directorate - think he's gone now through somehting to do with bullying - we all know who i mean, egotistical so and so, also i heard another cabinet member's husband gave him a shiner for messing with his wife - a council being led by liars and fornicators - crazy

look at the cabinet memebr for education, now we all know where his interests lie - basically what he can get out of it, and has been for over 25 years

all im getting my hair off to this is, the local labour party think they have all the knowledge in the borough, and they know whats best for us, when in reality they are out of their depth. the council is in serious debt and if (and i pray) if another administration takes over in May, they will be saddled with years and years of downgraded council services, plus debt which for at least the first 2 years will mean belt tightneing, but in the end, the corner can be turned and they could give blaenau gwent a fresh start - which is what is needed, unless we are going further down hill

blaenau gwent is the top of the polls we dont want to be part of - poor health, poor education, high levels of sustained economic inactivity

look at the shambolic way the council wasted objective 1 money, which was probably the last great life line

im going to stop now...rant over!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2008 :  21:19:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were well-worded, polite questions, that every constituent has a right to know.

They give the impression of putting themselves above the responsibility of the people.

They aren't.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird34

Uzbekistan
26 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  12:40:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the response to question 5 is obviously not....They need more money to pay for their legal representatives!!!

Maybe Pierre you need to re-phrase question 7.....how about starting with a turnover of say 50 grand and work up!!

Go to Top of Page

Chris
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
622 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  13:58:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"We are taking legal advice on the content of your letter."

Taking legal advice = sh***ing themselves.

Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

339 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2008 :  16:28:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say that they (Tredegar town council) are digging themselves a BIG hole with that response.

They are only questions that we would ask current or perspective members of the Council if / when they come knocking on the door when its election time.

What would be the response if the same letter was directed and sent directly to your local councillor? Would they then individually seek “legal advice on the content of your letter” . I don’t think so…….

Who is paying for this “Legal Advice” on such basic and relevant questions asked by a council tax payer? It’s the Council Tax Payers, that who!

You should have put a question 12 on the bottom. Saying

12. If you require any advice on this letter that will require a burden on the tax payer, please make an orderly queue and leave the meeting.

Why only four councillors at the meeting! If they put themselves forward as a Councillor, WHERE ARE THEY!

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  19:29:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today (15th February 2008), I got the reply from the council on the question stated above.
Now remember, this is the actual page that contains the answers, its not some made up joke, it come direct from the Town Council to me, scanned in, and displayed here (again, my request to receive in e-mail for did not happen...)

I will post page 6 when I stop shaking my head in disbelief.......
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  19:41:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It reads like the answers to a classroom test!!

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight

Edited by - Cae on 15/02/2008 19:50:06
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  20:17:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the answer is: Yes.

you can post suitable questions.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  20:18:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 8 year old does a better job letter writing then they do......

Was telling myself I would get a descent reply after the "seeking legal advice" shambles of before, but at lest I can say their communications is constant.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  20:23:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well thank you for posting the reply maybe we can make at least some of them join the dole cue and then if they dont take a JOB they will be where they should be on the street.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  20:59:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  21:58:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ooooooooooooops wonder why ?
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  22:20:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does that mean someone's posting was deleted or does it refer to the council's letter?

Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  22:26:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow !

If that is how they 'construct' all correspondence, no wonder no one takes them serious.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  22:36:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cae

Does that mean someone's posting was deleted or does it refer to the council's letter?

M'Lady,

Merely a metaphore, regarding the Councils response.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  22:53:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can imagine the author's History "A" level exam went something like this...

Q:- In your own words giving detailed examples to substantiate your oppinion- do you agree that Henry IV deserved the title of Usurper King? Discuss.

A:- Yes.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  23:02:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
:-) top call Cae !
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2008 :  23:02:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cae

Can imagine the author's History "A" level exam went something like this...

Q:- In your own words giving detailed examples to substantiate your oppinion- do you agree that Henry IV deserved the title of Usurper King? Discuss.

A:- Yes.

Hang on, there were 2 parts to that...

Question & Discuss

I would hazard a guess, the 'authors' (if one may use that word...) response would be thus:-
"Yes, he did."
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2008 :  19:32:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I originally stated in my first letter to Tredegar Town Council, all correspondence on my origal letter would be made public on this forum. Please see below the body of a letter I sent to Tredegar Town Council today.

I have been kindly informed that the next meeting by Tredegar Town Council will be on Wednesday at 6:30, and the meeting will be available to the public to attend.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2008 :  20:13:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel the Gazette should be made aware of their reply Pierre. If in my former civil service occupation I had sent out a letter like that to a member of the public- well I think my boss would've had a "quiet word" with me! Putting it mildly!!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.