New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2021 :  19:01:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sadly the chapel will be holding its last service on Sunday 5th. Dec. at 3 o’clock after which it will close its doors forever.The original chapel,Old Bethania,on the road to Troed was opened in 1874.The congregation had previously met in people’s houses.New Bethania was opened in 1909.If you were christened,married or had any family connection with the chapel,you might like to attend.Hope to see you there,Butch!!

butch

United Kingdom
1983 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2021 :  23:07:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Ideal, yes I will be there, I hope with all the comments nice comments on Facebook, that we can get in to the service. As sad as it is to see it close, a church or chapel unfortunately cannot function without a congregation. But I still have lovely memories, of some lovely people who attended Bethania. Hopefully I will see you there. best Regards, Graham.
PS. I was speaking to Ieaun down Bedwellty pits a few months ago.
Go to Top of Page

butch

United Kingdom
1983 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2021 :  10:39:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, should read IDWAL.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2142 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2021 :  10:09:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a lovely service in Bethania yesterday,very emotional & very sad. I was christened there as it was our family chapel & have many happy memories of attending Sunday school there until I was about 12/13. Many Christmas nativity's, anniversaries, practicing our verse for weeks before, whitsun walk outs then back to the vestry for a big tea party after, our annual Sunday school trip to Barry Island in the summer & a Christmas panto in Cardiff New Theatre in December. So many lovely & cherished memories & 1 childhood friendship that has lasted from the time we were babies (3 months old) & still going nearly 60yrs later.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1645 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2021 :  19:12:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So very giad to read that ex-Brompton.
So sad to see Bethania go. I sometimes wonder if the multi-party committee that decided that Whitsun would no longer exist has been partly responsible/
Whitsun was such a huge event- for both children and adults- The "turn-out" the teas- trip to BI, simply to fit in the May Bank Holiday.
Ah well
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2413 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2021 :  17:18:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes Milkman the walk-outs were still very well attended when I was a youngster in Park Place chapel
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2021 :  11:31:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very sad to see the old church and chapels close in the town. I see the chapel at the bottom of Whitworth hill is also up for sale.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.