New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
336 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2022 :  17:43:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello, over the last two weeks the contractors have been pulling with their bits of string the new cable that all very good and all that and it will retruck this new cable everywhere in the country but my bit of wire which runs from said new cable to my house is still made of copper, with this new cable does this means that i only get two strands of optic fiber instead of my nice fat cable and when will that happen?

misterX

10 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2022 :  01:24:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are two different types - 'Fibre To The Cabinet' and 'Fibre To The Home/Premises'. Either of them will give you a performance boost but the biggest improvement will of course be if you get FTTP/FTTH where it will literally run up to your door... in a manner of speaking. There is a plan to run fibre to everywhere in the UK but this is/was due to be completed in 2025. Given the impact that covid has had, it may not be completed by then. Have a look at this page - https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/ for more info. There are also these pages which show you what is available and which upgrades are due and by when - https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/fibre-first/#FibrecheckerX and https://www.openreach.com/fibre-broadband/where-when-building-ultrafast-full-fibre-broadband
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
336 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2022 :  13:16:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you misterx, all very good info except for nobody is talking money is a case of your service provider, so everybody should check on what their are paying and maybe the larger companies are going to outprice themselves out of the domestic market maybe, i dont think as a customer i should pay for their upgrade it's their idea so why should get stung with the bill as a tax payer i have already paid for this.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13933 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2022 :  06:49:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I belive that some new homes have the fibre already in place, such as Bedwellty Gardens.

When we will actually see it in and working is another matter. I'll ask about and see if I can get us an update.

Go to Top of Page

TimR

8 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2022 :  18:35:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the following quote sums up the situation:
"At present the current goal is to make BTOpenreach’s fibre based broadband speeds available to 96% of Wales by the end of spring 2016"

I think The Welsh Assembly paid £58M way back in 2015, or earlier, for the whole of Wales to have fibre connections. I had various mates spend their Resettlement Grants, along with myself, on training to get into networking. We all left (BT) Openreach fairly quickly, mostly they joined M J Quinns, who do some of Openreach's work. We all did fibre installation as part of the course, so I can pop round and connect you to the cabinet sometime :)
I had to raise it with my MS, AM as was, several times and make sure they knew I wasn't going to give up. I also kept writing to the MD a few times per week saying as a shareholder I wanted to raise a question at the shareholders meeting about why they had been paid £58M upfront and were not installing and was there any danger of the Welsh Assembly suing.
We got a swift installation and I stopped complaining.

Tim
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13933 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2022 :  15:30:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spoken to a friend who works in planning for BT what date can we expect the upgrade to the service in the streets of Tredegar and he laughed at me....

Not looking good.

Go to Top of Page

ShelleyW
Advanced Member

713 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2022 :  22:09:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They been laying the pipe ready for the cable in our street for a couple of weeks...So fingers crossed it won’t be long....
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.