Lack of care and help from our local GP's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tracey12

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  12:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are your views on the NHS and local GP's.
I am very unhappy with the service as my Father passed away on the 7th of January and died of deep vein thrombosis, however he visited the health centre to see the GP 3 days before he died because he was concerned over his leg. They didnt even look at his leg and told him to have an X ray done! I think this is severe negligance another GP told me and my family that if the Doctor looked at his leg they could have dispersed the clot with an injection and he would have still been alive today!

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  12:36:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not happy either, for numerous reasons.

It took 6 months of me hounding the GP to get a referral for my sons feet, which were bent in (Talipes). He then referred me to one that does not deal in Peds. I had to pay private to see the proper Orthopedic. Had I stayed with the one we were referred to, my sons feet could have been damaged by the treatment they were going to do.

I have problems with my hips, pregnancy related. It stared over 2 years ago, the GP only wrote out the referral for physio 6 months ago, despite numerous visits ( every few weeks) over the 2 year period.

And finally, I was in hospital recently for blood clots. Hospital treatment was great, the after care,,loads to be desired. I was sent home with injections with the instructions to go to Tredegar General to have them done. I phoned in advance to be sure it wasn't a busy time. They told me they wont do them there, to see my GP. It was Sunday,....durr. Phoned the out of hours gp, who was great and sent a nurse straight away to the house. I was instructed to see the nurse at the GP on Monday. Phoned GP office on Monday, the nurse wasn't there I would have to see if she was in on Tuesday, even after I explained I had to have them everyday. I ended up phoning the district nurse myself, who was late.

The service is crap. All this has happen in a 2 year period. Its awful.
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  12:43:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our GP's are a disgrace make no bones about that.

I took a prescription to boots with my one year old grandson in his buggy as the pharmacist handed the medicine to me he remarked " this medicine is not for that child in the buggy, is it " when i replied " yes " he was astonished the doctor had prescribe it.....refused to give it to me and told in no way was this medicine suitable for a one year old and advise me to return to the doctor.

And i know a lot of people who have similar stories to tell.

Edited by - oldcefnlad on 18/02/2008 15:04:19
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  12:51:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh forgot to add.
When I was preg with my 20 month old, I went into hospital with pains. They suspected an ectopic pregnancy ( not in the uterus). I was told they couldn't do an ultra sound to see where the baby was as they have no one on the weekend. They were going to operate on me without knowing.
Thank god I refused, or they would have killed my baby, never mind a needless and costly operation.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  13:18:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My former doc (the drinker) botched up my results when I had tests done a while back. He declared them to be normal despite the fact that the lab had put an asterisk by the reading, put what the normal range should be (mine was double that) and had even written HIGH in capitals next to it! Couldn't have been plainer- but he said they were fine! Thankfully when I moved to Glan Rhyd surgery in Beaufort the error was picked up and I was finally put on medication. My experience is that one of my doctors was rubbish (he even left his medical bag behind when visiting a relative of mine!)- but hats off to the docs and nurses at Glan Rhyd- they're fantastic and I'm happy with the service I get there.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  14:36:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a terrible experience, not with our local doctors in Chepstow, who have been excellent, but with the Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport.

My late wife saw our local doctors who sent her to the ENT dept. at the Royal Gwent. She was seen by a Registrar who examined her and sent us to the X-ray dept. with an Urgent request for an X-ray.

Weeks passed and after repeated phone calls she was seen a month later. We saw the same Registrar a week later and he called in his Consultant who told us that she had a cancerous growth in her throat and would need an urgent operation.

She went into the hospital on the Monday; had the operation on the Wednesday and died on the Friday. Her trachea was cut/torn during the operation and she suffered massive brain damage from the lack of oxygen.

I sued the Royal Gwent and won my case, but it couldn't compensate me for losing my loved one. We had been married for 40 years.

Can I say to you all.

If you feel that you have been treated badly by your G.P. or Hospital, see a Solicitor for advice. Usually the first hour of consultation is free. If they feel you have a good case they will tell you so.

By doing this CHANGES will be made and others will benefit from your painful experiences.

Bryan

Go to Top of Page

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  16:15:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I complained to the GMC - the doc received a letter telling him to take more care in future! As he was no longer working for the surgery and was contracted out they would do nothing- despite the fact that his work still involved being on the out of hours call rota- regardless of the fact that the error was made whilst in their employment it wasn't their responsibilty! I did take legal advice and was disgusted with their attitude. Basically they wanted me to spend a chunk of my savings ("what about buying yourself an expensive car") so I could claim legal aid. It was an eye-opener and I let the matter go- at least now I'm receiving better treatment- wished I'd changed docs years ago.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  16:47:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Up to 4 weeks to get to see a doctor ?? its not on so you have to work out inadvanve to be unwell at ours.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  19:17:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

Up to 4 weeks to get to see a doctor ?? its not on so you have to work out inadvanve to be unwell at ours.

Hi Kenneth, what doctors have you got ?
I know you see the Doctor on the same day down at Shop Row ?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2008 :  19:20:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bryan Rendell

I have had a terrible experience, not with our local doctors in Chepstow, who have been excellent, but with the Royal Gwent Hospital, Newport.

My late wife saw our local doctors who sent her to the ENT dept. at the Royal Gwent. She was seen by a Registrar who examined her and sent us to the X-ray dept. with an Urgent request for an X-ray.

Weeks passed and after repeated phone calls she was seen a month later. We saw the same Registrar a week later and he called in his Consultant who told us that she had a cancerous growth in her throat and would need an urgent operation.

She went into the hospital on the Monday; had the operation on the Wednesday and died on the Friday. Her trachea was cut/torn during the operation and she suffered massive brain damage from the lack of oxygen.

I sued the Royal Gwent and won my case, but it couldn't compensate me for losing my loved one. We had been married for 40 years.

Can I say to you all.

If you feel that you have been treated badly by your G.P. or Hospital, see a Solicitor for advice. Usually the first hour of consultation is free. If they feel you have a good case they will tell you so.

By doing this CHANGES will be made and others will benefit from your painful experiences.

Bryan

Bryan, I'm lost for words..... Saying that was a terrible experience is an understatement. Thank you for the post, I'm sure we can all learn from it.

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  02:35:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shocked at your loss Bryan.

Well done for honouring your wifes memory, by seeing justice done.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  08:48:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alzheimer’s Group Takes Campaign To Parliament.
by Jamie L. Robins, Gwent Gazette.

THE Alzheimer’s society has launched its putting care right campaign at a parliamentary reception at the House of Commons.

Representatives from the Tredegar based Blaenau Gwent branch attended the ceremony.
The aim of the campaign is to make it mandatory for all staff who work in care homes to have some form of training to work with people with dementia because more that two thirds of people who live in care homes have dementia.
The society has produced a putting care right booklet to help with choosing a care home.
Actor, broadcaster and TV presenter and Alzheimer’s society ambassador Tony Robinson launched the campaign with a speech about his personal experience of caring for his mother who had Alzheimer's and the difficulties faced when choosing a care home.
Blaenau Gwent MP Dai Davies attended with Health Minister Ivan Lewis.
You can find out more about the campaign at www.alzheimers.org.uk or by phoning the local Blaenau Gwent branch on 01495 722199.

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/02/21/alzheimer-s-group-takes-campaign-to-parliament-91466-20490694/
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  09:52:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Roy’s Surgery Shocker.
by Jamie L. Robins, Gwent Gazette.

A FORMER Ebbw Vale Steelworker discovered he has been living with a broken leg 50 years after a motorcycle crash.

Although he was treated at Tredegar Hospital at the time, Roy Calloway never fully recovered and has lived with excruciating pain ever since, not knowing his leg was still fractured.
Mr Calloway, now aged 70, was brought up in Ebbw Vale but now lives in Llangibby near Usk.
As a young man he enjoyed riding his motorcycle through the country until one day in 1959 when he was involved in a horrific accident on a Brecon road.
His bike collided with a car so hard that it toppled the other vehicle over.
Mr Calloway remembers little else about the accident other than the agonising recovery period at Tredegar hospital.
“My leg was a right mess, I broke my femur, my tibia and my fibula.
“I was in hospital for a long time, they put weights on my leg to try and keep my bones stable.”
A year after the accident Mr Calloway, with the help of a walking stick, was well enough to return to the Steelworks as a sweeper.
Throughout his working life he suffered a number of problems with his right leg and they continued into his retirement.
He even claims his 78-year-old girlfriend left him recently because he wasn’t well enough to keep up with her on the dance floor.
“It can be very painful at times and it can play up when I’m doing something like dancing,” he said.
“I have put up with it for most of my life, it’s almost like I’ve got used to it.
“It’s been playing up a lot recently so I decided to go and see someone about it again.”
After an X-ray, Mr Calloway was shocked to discover his leg was still broken after all these years. The broken femur wasn’t lined up properly and there were problems with the tibia and fibula.
“I couldn’t believe it,” he said.
“There’s no wonder it has been hurting for all these years.
“They have told me they could give me some surgery but I don’t really want to risk going into hospital to get anything done now.
“I’ve dealt with it for 50 years I may as well just put up with it.”

http://icwales.icnetwork.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/02/21/roy-s-surgery-shocker-91466-20490905/
Go to Top of Page

Yankee Doodle
Advanced Member

418 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  10:22:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dont see how this is relevant to today's standards of care AW, shocking as it is.

This have changed in 50 years time.

He has 'put up with it' all these years and only went to have it checked out after a girl friend left him. They offered treatment, but he refused.

At least thats what the article makes out like the situation is.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  10:34:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yankee Doodle

I dont see how this is relevant to today's standards of care AW, shocking as it is.

This have changed in 50 years time.

He has 'put up with it' all these years and only went to have it checked out after a girl friend left him. They offered treatment, but he refused.

At least thats what the article makes out like the situation is.

Indeed, that is your interpretation of the article.
These surgical errors, still take place.
Go to Top of Page

MKerchey05

955 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  13:10:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few years ago I fell in my kitchen and went to the A&E at Tredegar the nurse that saw me told me that she thought it was sprained and I didn't need an x-ray. I went back to work and worked for 6 mths. When I went to my Dr. because I was still in pain he sent me for an x-ray, my scafoid bone [at the base of my thumb], was broken. After two ops. having a screw put in then it was in the wrong place [taken out]. I have been left with a weak wrist and couldn't do my job. So when I sued them, successfully, I didn't feel gulity abut taking the money as a few people said I should.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey12

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2008 :  16:11:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can see from a previous post that I lost my Dad due to Deep Vein Thrombosis, when I visited the nurse a month later she told me to have a thrombosis blood check due to the sudden death of my father and also due to the medication i was taking.
When I went to reception to make an appointment to have this test they told me that they dont normally do the test unless you are having pains in your legs. So what they are saying is that you have to have thrombosis before you can have a test to check that you have it???
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.28 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.