Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  12:57:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An amendment to the Carnival Schedule has been sent in by Nick Toulson, from The Feel Good Team...

Amendment to the last sentence of Samís email and just to clarify issues-

The Feeling Good team were planning to hold guided bike rides, on the original carnival date, from Bedwellty Park along the cycle path to Bedwellty Pits and back. However, due to the coincidence of staff holidays this Sunday we will not be able to run this activity. Health and safety issues along with park bylaws would have ruled out rides around the park itself.

Regular Feeling Good guided cycle rides will begin on Wednesday 6 October.

Feeling Good will have an information stand at the carnival alongside Communities First.

Yours,

Nick Toulson.

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  21:01:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've also informed Tredegar camera club about this tonight, so hopefully a few of us will be around taking some shots (and I'll post all mine up after the events too!)

:)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  21:44:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Result :o)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  19:49:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hot off the press, Video of this afternoons walking Carnival !

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  20:06:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was a great day out, was a shame there weren't many participants in the walking carnival but the events in the park made up for that I think!
I'm still going through the 400 or so shots I took, but I done a quick panoramic shot which can be seen here:
http://flickr.com/photos/inyunyyn/2875351149/
More info about the shot in the description!
I'll post more up later/tomorrow!
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  22:47:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most shots are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/inyunyyn/sets/72157607418132903/ from what I like.
Got a few more general snaps of the day I may upload later...
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  10:51:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great pics. :o)
Go to Top of Page

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  22:14:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lets hope more people get involved next year, there was quiet a good turn out of people i thought but to be honest i dont think you could call that a carnival,but the idea is there, maybe if only we could have a get together down the park like yesterday once a year would be great,
Go to Top of Page

elsa

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  09:17:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a carnival it was pathetic. even putting to one side the rescheduelling. did you know there was NO carnival queen for the August carnival, so that would have been one float less then.
Why wasn't every school, band, club even kids r us cajoled into taking part? having a basic idea is not enough you must see it through and MAKE it work.
Go to Top of Page

elsa

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  09:26:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
perhaps a saturday carnival with throngs of people passing the shops in castle st would bring to the attention of the majority of townfolk that certain shops even exist in tredegar.That one lonesome trader should be putting the flags out for a saturday not the shutters down on a sunday.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  10:47:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding was that it was meant to be a walking carnival so no floats? I think maybe more people would have joined in if there had been floats instead as not everyone is able to walk that far. On the other hand the rain has put a damper on other carnivals- it's fantastic when the sun is out but not so great when it's lashing down and you're getting soaked and freezing cold and the float decorations are turning to mush (speaking from experience!) I back the idea of repeating the event in the park though and maybe make that bigger next time- AND have a back-up venue for bad weather. In this day and age just planning it for a summer month means nothing as the weather is so unpredictable.

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  11:23:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cae, I agree 100% with you, I noticed a land rover with a
trailer carrying the carnival queen, why not use that system next time?.
there is no need to have great big lorry's, there are lots of people in
Tredegar that have such trailers, it seems to me a lack of organising by some
one,
Terry

love a whiskey but must be BELLS,
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  12:18:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well to be fair I think the idea was admirable and at least someone tried to do something- can't fault that- in fact I applaud it- BUT maybe the organising/logistics need looking at for next time as obviously something went amiss with the parade side of things..would be great to hear from someone involved (with regards to what difficulties etc were faced and then maybe it could be resolved for next year.) But the park seemed a real community affair- full marks for that- here's to a bigger and even better event next in 2009!

Go to Top of Page

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  20:01:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone know who won the big thousand pound cow poop raffle thing, i forgot all about that.where in the park did they hold it?
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  20:13:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by xtype

anyone know who won the big thousand pound cow poop raffle thing, i forgot all about that.where in the park did they hold it?

There was no cow, it was a horse, and it didn't even do its business either, had to shout 'STOP' and the winner was decided upon where the horse was grazing.
I left before any winner was announced though.
And it was held at the top field behind the hospital.
Go to Top of Page

xtype
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
356 Posts

Posted - 23/09/2008 :  20:30:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
we just had a phone call off a friend of ours he just seen my question, he just told me that there is some confusion over what has happend but he seems to think that unsold numbers was used and the horse picked one of them numbers so they give all the prize moneys to the mayors appeal, also there are some very unhappy people out there wanting blood, seems it could have been and illegal draw, im going to have a look on the national lotterys and raffles info site to see what it says on there,my daughter bought a number or two i hope this has not been a scam
Go to Top of Page

elsa

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  09:53:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my point wasn't about there being a float (or lorry ) it was the last minute arrangement of a carnival queen, riding driven walking or other wise through town.
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  10:54:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elsa,

I totally agree with you. My niece was actually carnival queen. She found out the Thursday prior to the carnival. Fair enough, they did her hair for her Sunday morning, but give her one of the comp teachers old prom dresses which had stains all over it! Then to see her in half a caravan being towed by a land rover was heart breaking!

The carnival could be something the whole town should look forward to. Sunday was embarrassing. Bring back the old carnivals! Surely its possible?!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  12:16:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see below for deails on the law for Raffles in the UK..

A short guide to:-
Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976

Lotteries and Raffles have to be registered under the Lotteries and Amusements Act 1976. The Act defines all lotteries, which do not constitute gaming, as illegal but there are exceptions to this general rule such as small lotteries and private lotteries which do not require registration.

Local Councils are the registration authority for society lotteries for the purpose of raising funds for sporting, charitable or benevolent purposes. A typical society lottery would be a local school parent teacher association or a local amateur football club. Lotteries not promoted by societies or where the value of tickets for sale in a lottery exceeds £20,000 have to register with the Gaming Board of Great Britain and not their local Council.

For society lotteries there is an initial registration fee of £35, payable to the Council, and then to remain registered, each society is has to pay an annual fee of £17.50 in January each year. Once registered, societies have to submit a return after each lottery showing the amounts collected, the amount spent on prizes and any expenses concerned with conducting the lottery. These returns are held for 18 months and are available for public inspection.
Tickets sold as part of a registered society lottery must be properly printed and detail:- the name of the society, the name and address of the promoter, the date of the lottery draw, the price of the ticket (which must not exceed £1), the name of the printer and the name of the Local Council that the society is registered with.
Go to Top of Page

KenJ
Advanced Member

286 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  13:14:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Bring back the old carnivals! Surely its possible?!

Apparently not - Blackwood carnival this year was pathetic!!
I was told by a local councillor that Health & Safety and public liability issues have effectively killed off the traditional carnival float.
e.g. Harnesses for people on floats, certificate of insurance for each float as well as lorry drivers restrictions on hours of working!

Another victory for our nanny state!!
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  13:49:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets be honest the carnival was a shambles.

What was down the park apart from the music..... 3 bouncy castles £1.50 ago , tattoes for the kids £4 YES....£4 ( Where do they think people have got that sort of money from in these hard times esp if you have 2 or 3 children )a clown, a burger stall and a bed push race that hardly anyone join or watched.

The only good thing was the weather if a carnival is not going to be done well...don't bother because that was hopeless Sunday.

Oh, i almost forgot, also down the park was councillor Troll ( with his shades on )acting like he was best mates with Mayor John a man who wouldn't normally give him the time of day if he wasn't a councillor.

Edited by - oldcefnlad on 24/09/2008 20:11:40
Go to Top of Page

chips

62 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  17:47:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got to agree with you all, the so called carnival was a blooming joke. My 2 kids were really looking forward to it, they didn't even realize they'd been to a carnival....honest, my little boy thought he'd just gone to the park for a walk.
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2405 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  18:24:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I asked before, could someone involved come on here and explain what happened? Just so things could be improved on next year and discuss any ideas etc? Was the postponement the problem for instance? There was a huge Facebook group dedicated to the carnival so I'm just wondering what problems popped up?

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  18:38:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try asking the councillor mind on second thought's not a lot of point.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2008 :  19:08:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KenJ

quote:
Bring back the old carnivals! Surely its possible?!

Apparently not - Blackwood carnival this year was pathetic!!
I was told by a local councillor that Health & Safety and public liability issues have effectively killed off the traditional carnival float.
e.g. Harnesses for people on floats, certificate of insurance for each float as well as lorry drivers restrictions on hours of working!

Another victory for our nanny state!!

Notting Hill Carnival still has floats and it is the biggest carnival in Europe. I'm not sure why they can manage the HS issues and TTC can't.

Maybe we can get a lottery grant to send TTC down there next year to see how it's done. They can perhaps fit in a trip to the London Marathon too. It involves people running along roads in a very busy place, although i'm not sure how dangerous the roads in london are compared with Newport to Tredegar.

I remember going to Notting Hill carnival in the 70s. they did have HS issues back then :) exciting though.

regards

sean

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.27 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.