• New entrance porch, new orchid house house cafe on site

• Rebuild & restore of stables

• Renovation & restore of long shelter

This is great news :o)

Let hope its the start of great things for our park

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  23:46:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No news on the ponds, or am I completely missing something here?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  07:37:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
None as yet, but the above was linked to planning, and not sure if they need that for work on the ponds.

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/ttc/white_paper_tcc_feb_2008.pdf

www.Bath-in-a-field.co.uk

"I'm not an alcoholic, I'm a drunk - alcoholics go to meetings"
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  13:12:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any word on the consultative process?

quote:
..people living across Blaenau Gwent will be asked to participate in questionnaires about the development in May.

Source - BBC News.

Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  14:53:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Panda

I was in the park with my sister and nephew this morning and by far the biggest eyesore is the ponds, not only that it must be a health issue as well with all the vermin it attracts.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  16:10:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken this morning....

and yes, that is water under that "stuff..."

Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  19:35:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope you didn't take any photos of the flasher that was in the park this morning. Mind you my nephew is only 3 :-).
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird34

Uzbekistan
26 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  21:50:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forget Ducks we are having fish!!!

http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/swanews/display.var.2250726.0.iconic_tredegar_building_to_be_renovated.php
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  23:09:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quite an interesting read, and indeed great news for the town.
I did feel quite outraged at the below mind, written by (Former) Tredegar town councilor Megan Fox.

"Two of the more unusual features of the park are the large blocks of coal situated near the ponds. The larger of the two weighs 16 tons and is the remainder of a 20-ton block cut commemorate the Great Exhibition of 1851. The smaller block, cut for the festival of Britain 1951, weights two tons."

Thanks for that (Former) Tredegar town councilor Megan Fox. I would personally like to remind everybody what this grade II listed structure looked like at 09:30 this very morning !

I would normally at this point display a picture of something like the new 3.5 million multi-story car park in Ebbw, or even display a leaflet sent out by the Town Council saying what a great job they are doing for Tredegar, but a picture paints a thousand words.

Not very good, is it.....

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2008 :  23:44:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's gotten a lot worse since my last visit to that part of the park :{
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  00:38:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morris1975

quote:
Originally posted by Panda

I was in the park with my sister and nephew this morning and by far the biggest eyesore is the ponds, not only that it must be a health issue as well with all the vermin it attracts.

were the council visiting for some reason?

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  07:58:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
its easy to criticise but Megan and Alan gave 65 yr. between them to the Town (unpaid) as regards the park all the new planning applications are in including the building housing the coal, anyone can see them as well as the plans for the house, pop in as see them, you will be amazed
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  08:34:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Councilor, your missing the issue. in the article, it was said that it was building on 30 years of work.

A direct quote from Tredegar Town Council...
"We do not do Regeneration".

Regeneration is in the remit of Blaenau Gwent Council is it not?

The question is in my mind why is it in the poor state it is now ?
Is it lack of funding ? if so, why, and what has been done about it?
Is it bad management? and again, if so what has been done about it?
It's a lump of coal thats 50 years old, should we be spending the money on that ?

The park is great, and I don't want this to be a negative post, we just need to learn what has gone wrong otherwise all this money will be spent, and in 10 to 15 years we will be in the same position.

Agree or not ?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  11:46:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by councillor

its easy to criticise but Megan and Alan gave 65 yr. between them to the Town (unpaid) as regards the park all the new planning applications are in including the building housing the coal, anyone can see them as well as the plans for the house, pop in as see them, you will be amazed

May I ask when and where the consultative process took place?

Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  18:24:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
again if people go down the house they can see the plans, also the clerk will answer any queries
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  18:36:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

again if people go down the house they can see the plans, also the clerk will answer any queries

Thanks for the reminder. I sent an e-mail to the Clerk over one month ago, and no reply. I will write instead.
Go to Top of Page

The Godfather

119 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  19:19:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Councilor, your missing the issue. in the article, it was said that it was building on 30 years of work.

A direct quote from Tredegar Town Council...
"We do not do Regeneration".

Regeneration is in the remit of Blaenau Gwent Council is it not?

It's a lump of coal thats 50 years old, should we be spending the money on that ?

The park is great, and I don't want this to be a negative post, we just need to learn what has gone wrong otherwise all this money will be spent, and in 10 to 15 years we will be in the same position.

Agree or not ?

I am in agreement 100% always have been on this.
If the money is spent on renewing what is already there then this will be a total mismanaging of funds.
What has gone wrong is that the generation has changed.
The park itself needs to change with it....
Sad but true, like the councillor said, people have been on that council for 60 years.
It is time for a change, and with new ideas on how to spend the money.
Otherwise, how else are we going to encourage people to wander around freely in our park once more.
Instead it will all be renewed and a further 10 years down the line, youngters who dont understand or connect with our past and history will just destroy it all over again.
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  21:15:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you don't know that the money to do the house and park came from lottery heritage fund, we bid for it like a lot of Community and Borough Councils all over Britain it took about 4years, our bid was successful, if it wasn't most probably the money would have gone to some where in England, CADW will have a big say in what we do as they were an essential part of the bid
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  22:52:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can stop that now, the election is over don't you know

No answer mind to my questions.....as yet ?

Agree or not ?
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  04:41:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
answer yes that is why the town council worked with the Borough for over 4yrs getting a successful bid so that we can preserve the park.
answer no Bedwellty park as had good management
answer that lump of coal is part of our history, yes it should be preserved to show our youngsters the hardships people suffered then.
answer I cant read into the future, but the bid incorporates CCTV, a park keeper and a manager, plus the house will be used more as the park has to be sustainable for the bid to be successful so i hope this will reduce vandalism.
Again these are my own personal views hope I have answered your questions
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:24:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Councillor, if you visted the park yesterdy around 7.pm (sat 10 may)you would understand it will take more than a park keeper and manager to reduce vandalism there were 30 youths all out of their heads on drink and behaving in a very aggressive manner to by-passers not to mention they were quite openly going to toilet in full view of women and children.

The sad part is if this had been reported to the police i doubt very much they have turned up to do anything.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  10:27:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

answer yes that is why the town council worked with the Borough for over 4yrs getting a successful bid so that we can preserve the park.
answer no Bedwellty park as had good management
answer that lump of coal is part of our history, yes it should be preserved to show our youngsters the hardships people suffered then.
answer I cant read into the future, but the bid incorporates CCTV, a park keeper and a manager, plus the house will be used more as the park has to be sustainable for the bid to be successful so i hope this will reduce vandalism.
Again these are my own personal views hope I have answered your questions

how many years of park keeper and manager wages are incuded in the bid?
who will pay the wages after the lottery money runs out?
will they work at night to stop yobs?

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

councillor
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
298 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  12:29:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As i have stated the bid had to be sustainable, for instance weddings etc. as regards the hours that will be worked out at a latter stage, with consultation with the unions
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  02:16:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was there any more information on the development?
Did they mention about the ponds after?

Was walking around there on Sunday and saw a nice song thrush sitting on the fence up there and caught a golden-ringed dragonfly down the bottom pond but let him go after his little photo shoot :P

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  10:23:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sensational pic!

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13913 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2008 :  13:29:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye, cracking photo brother.

Is it me, or is that dragonfly looking at us ?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.