General Discussion - Tredegar
 Sirhowy Inn
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  09:04:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard it's now been pulled down- are they still intending to put flats there?

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  12:10:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they should be finished demolishing some time today.

building the flats, who knows. depends on what the target market is. the rental sector seems to be doing ok, as people are not buying at the moment. i know someone who sold up a few months ago, in se england, and is now renting, waiting to pick up a bargain when house prices bottom out.

i would imagine there is always a good market for rental flats in the tredegar area.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  12:17:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sign of things to come I think. Within the next 10 years a lot more pubs, clubs in Tredegar will go out of business and then the decision will be whether to demolish or not.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  13:25:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with Morris1975 on what he has said. Prices going up all the time, and less cash in peoples pockets combined with cheaper booze in the supermarket will mean more places like the Sirhowy Inn (Gold mine) being put to other uses.

The Sirhowy Inn first opened in 1842, so the building was 166 years old when it was demolished today. Who knows, so of the people buried in the cholera Cemetery could have drunk in the pub ?

Before

After

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  14:39:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

I have to agree with Morris1975 on what he has said. Prices going up all the time, and less cash in peoples pockets combined with cheaper booze in the supermarket will mean more places like the Sirhowy Inn (Gold mine) being put to other uses.

The Sirhowy Inn first opened in 1842, so the building was 166 years old when it was demolished today. Who knows, some of the people buried in the cholera Cemetery could have drunk in the pub ?

Before

After

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  16:24:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A sad day when an interesting old building comes down.
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  17:30:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

i would have said ugly rather than interesting, but that's my opinion.

i do wonder if it is rather arbitary what gets preserved and what doesn't. i read about and hear about some fine buildings which used to be in tredegar and the surrounding area.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  19:23:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Kenneth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's not so much the look of a building but the history of it that get's lost. I for one hate seeing old building being pulled down but the cost of renovation far outways the cost of replacing it with a new one. Having built and renovated ( which we are doing at the moment for my daughter ) I know which is easier

That's why this site is so great, you are doing a wonderful job of recording all the old buildings before the devolopers get their hands on them and therefore keeping the historical value of them alive for future generations. Pity somebody didn't do it for me with the Heathcock Inn on the Rhymney Rd.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2008 :  19:46:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very true Valll

Please see below for video and some photo's taken today..

Go to Top of Page

zoobhar

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  17:31:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in 1839 the chartest marchers called at the sirhowy inn killed the lanlords dog, drank the pub dry and made the landlord march with them to the westgate hotel Newport: or thats what iv'e read and the original name of the pub was the Wyvern Or was there another pub on Beaufort road built prior to 1839
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  18:26:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info Zoobhar, very interesting stuff....

Was a sad day when they pulled that pub down :o(
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  21:20:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wyvern Inn

In Tredegar and Sirhowy, the Red Lion at Colliers Row and the Colliers Arms in Park Row had been turned into pike factories. Jack Rees (the Fifer) accompanied by William Evans, Thomas Morgan and John Morgan led the Tredegar men down the Sirhowy valley to meet Frost at Blackwood. At Twyn y Star, hundreds had gathered led by Rees Meredith (one of those killed) and Dai the Tinker (David Jones) - in his velvet jacket and spotted neckerchief. At about 8 p.m. they met the men of Benjamin Richards' Star Inn lodge at Sirhowy Bridge before moving off to meet Zephaniah Williams and his men at Mynydd Carn y Cefn. Passing through Ebbw Vale they met up with 2,000 at the Pen y Cae ironworks, and about 20 of them pushed their way into the Lamb Inn demanding more beer. Later, another gang arrived dragging the landlord of the Wyvern Inn, Sirhowy along with them. At about 9 p.m., all the contingents met near the Harfords' residence and then moved off down the valley towards Newport. After much delay (caused mainly by the appalling weather and by calling off at pubs on the way!) the Heads of the Valleys contingent met up with Frost's forces at the Welsh Oak, Risca at about 6.30 a.m.

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2009 :  21:31:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The killing of the Landlords Dog was at the Beaufort Arms in Beaufort Rise when the Chartist broke in and demanding free beer and the Landlord ran away being a Anti-Chartist
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:41:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very interesting morgan,just love all the old history stories,you got any tales or info on the Railway inn(as it once was)?
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  08:58:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gjj43
History of THE CHARTISTS

http://www.bioeddie.co.uk/ebbw-vale/chartists.htm
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  12:12:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks morgan
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  19:13:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi gjj43

Read this forum regarding the Railway Inn [ Tavern ]

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1465
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  11:32:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morgan

Hi gjj43

Read this forum regarding the Railway Inn [ Tavern ]

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1465

mt thanks to you morgan,really loved the history part of this thread,cheers mate
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  12:55:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
mt thanks to you morgan...

mt thanks?

empty thanks?

Damn typo's.

Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2009 :  15:55:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aussiewelshman

quote:
mt thanks to you morgan...

mt thanks?

empty thanks?

Damn typo's.

OK OK sorry,.....Sir
Go to Top of Page

garaboto

France
138 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  20:20:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it be usual for the Sirhowy Inn to be used to hold coroner's inquests? I ask because David Hughes who I think is probably my G.Grandad, was injured in the mine by a 'fall of clod', in 1877 - this apparently broke his legs, he was taken home and the doctor did what he could to set the bones, later, he recommended that the leg be amputated which was refused by David and his brother, they ultimately agreed to it but David subsequently died. The coroner's report shows various witnesses in the house of Margaret Williams, known as the Sirhowy Inn. Maybe holding an inquest was a thirsty job ;-)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.