Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  16:31:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Facelift due at Tredegar Library
Aug 14 2008 by Our Correspondent, Gwent Gazette

Tredegar Library will be undergoing a refurbishment and modernisation programme during the next two months.

The library will close this Wednesday, August 13 and is expected to reopen in late October this year.

The refit is funded by the Welsh Assembly Government. The popular library will be modernised, making it a more inviting environment for new and old customers alike.

As part of the revamp, the library will be fitted with customer self-service technology, which has already been piloted in Brynmawr Library and has proven very popular.

The £100,000 Assembly grant will also allow the modernisation of the first-floor classrooms, creating better use of space, and improved lighting will be installed.

In an effort to avoid disappointing regular Tredegar Library users, the council will hold a reduced library service from a shop unit on Castle Street until this Monday (August 10) onwards while the town’s library is shut.

Link: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/south-wales-news/blaenau-gwent/2008/08/14/facelift-due-at-tredegar-library-91466-21512268/

Cae

2406 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  18:26:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope they meant to say "from" Monday 10th- anyone know?

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2008 :  13:32:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New-Look To Library After A £100,000 Facelift
Source - WalesOnline

TREDEGAR Library has undergone a £100,00 facelift.

The Blaenau Gwent Council-owned library’s new look will be revealed to the public this week (Friday, November 14).
The town centre library has been transformed, with new features including a self-service checkout, better access and improvements to the adult education and local studies areas. The new look includes vibrant images of local landscapes.
The library will open its doors at 9am.
Members of staff will be on hand to show customers around the building and demonstrate how to use the new self-service checkouts.
Earlier this year, Blaenau Gwent Council become only the second in Wales to introduce a self-service system when the library at Brynmawr was modernised.
Funding for the Tredegar Library new look was awarded through Welsh Assembly Government’s Community Learning Libraries Capital Development Programme.
The council received a £98,000 grant to renovate Brynmawr Library through the same programme.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2008 :  17:43:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Library Turns Over New Leaf
Source - WalesOnline

BLAENAU Gwent Council’s library in Tredegar has unveiled a new look to the public following a £100,000 refurbishment.

The town centre library has been transformed, with new features including a self-service checkout, better access and improvements to the adult education and local studies areas. The new look includes vibrant images of local landscapes.
The library opened earlier this month, with members of staff on hand to show customers around the building and demonstrate how to use the new self-service checkouts.
Earlier this year, Blaenau Gwent Council become only the second in Wales to introduce a self-service system when the library at Brynmawr was modernised.
Now customers at the new-look Tredegar Library can use the same easy to operate self-service option. They can quickly and easily check out the books, DVDs, CDs and other learning materials they want to borrow. Returning the books and other items will be just as convenient.
During the refurbishment dedicated staff provided a temporary library.
Funding for the Tredegar Library new look was awarded through Welsh Assembly Government’s Community Learning Libraries Capital Development Programme. The Council received a £98,000 grant to renovate Brynmawr Library through the same programme.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2009 :  18:20:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Went into the library to for the first time since the face lift work was completed. All I can say is what a great job they have done

Electronic checkout for books, plasma screens on the walls and a great layout of the place.

Nice work Blaenau Gwent :o)

General View

New Counter

Please note new phone number

Go to Top of Page

AshleyM

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  10:07:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like today could be the official opening of the library. I am saying this because when I walked passed there this morning, I saw Trish Law, Dai Davies & Jason Owen there.

Anybody have more information or at least know what's happening?

Find me at: http://www.tredegar.co.uk/icommunity/ashnet
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  12:34:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOH Trish Law. I think I'll pop down and burn afew bibles. Or ask her to sign my God Delusioon book.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  13:53:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NP22 3PS, that's for the SatNav ;-)

Surely if you enjoy life and have enough to get by today while putting something aside for later, you’re as rich as you need to be? How many flat screen TVs, slightly newer with even more horsepower cars, Rolexes and Wiii-thingummyjigs does it take to make a miserable person happy?
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2009 :  14:13:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morris... that is Brilliant!!!

What was she doing in Tred anyway? Eyeing up the clock for the new hospital i bet!!!
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  14:52:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AshleyM

It looks like today could be the official opening of the library. I am saying this because when I walked passed there this morning, I saw Trish Law, Dai Davies & Jason Owen there.

Find me at: http://www.tredegar.co.uk/icommunity/ashnet

they were meant to be somewhere else but the sat nav sent them there.

regards

sean

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  19:59:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tredegar Library Celebrates £100,000 Makeover
Source - South Wales Argus

A VALLEY’S library celebrated its official opening after a £100,000 makeover.

Tredegar Library, which is run by Blaenau Gwent council, has been transformed with new features including a self-service checkout, better access, improvements to adult education, internet services and a local studies resource centre.
Visitors to Library can borrow books, DVDs, CDs and other learning materials as they did before but in a newly refurbished building, which includes artwork of local landscapes.
Funding for the project was awarded through the Assembly Community Learning Libraries Capital Development Programme.
Heritage minister Alun Ffred Jones, who officially opened the library, said libraries were social and cultural hubs that play an important role in the community, especially in the current economic climate, offering people support to update their skills and search for work online.
He said: "I’m delighted to be able to reopen Tredegar Library and I’m sure the improvements will encourage more local people to take advantage of the range of services that it has to offer."
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  10:20:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AshleyM

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  10:30:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Library Gets £100K Facelift
Source - WalesOnLine

HERITAGE Minister Alun Ffred Jones travelled to Tredegar to officially open the town’s library after a £100,000 makeover.

The library, run by Blaenau Gwent Council, has been transformed, with new features including a self-service checkout, better access and improvements to the adult education and local studies areas. The new look also includes vibrant images of local landscapes.
Minister Alun Ffred Jones said: “Libraries act as social and cultural hubs and play a very important role in our communities, especially in the current economic climate with all the support that they can offer people to update their skills and search for work online.
“The Welsh Assembly Government is committed, through working in partnership with local government, to developing and improving libraries across Wales.
“I'm delighted to be able to re-open Tredegar Library and I'm sure the improvements will encourage more local people to take advantage of the range of services that it has to offer.”
The minister got to meet several library users including Glyndwr Beynon, aged 79, who regularly uses the internet and computer services the reburbished building offers.
“I think it is excellent, I don’t have the internet at home but I use the computers here to keep in touch with friends all over the world,” said Mr Beynon as he used his Hotmail account to looked at pictures his Korean friends had sent him of their new born baby.
“I keep in touch with friends I have made through church, I get e-mails from Brazil, Korea and Argentina.
“The library staff are excellent and they help out with any problems, they are very friendly too which is a bonus.”
Mr Beynon only had one problem with the refurbishment.
“I still can’t access Facebook here,” he joked.
“I have to go to a friends house if I want to go on there.”
Coun Jason Owen, Blaenau Gwent Council's Executive Member for Leisure and Culture, said: “We are grateful to the Welsh Assembly Government for providing the funding to make Tredegar Library more accessible and user-friendly.
“Important facilities are based here - the local studies resource centre for Blaenau Gwent and adult education classes.
“The number of computers for free internet access has been increased to 17 - with four of them equipped with special software for family history research.
“We hope this renovation - funded by the Welsh Assembly Government - will encourage even more local people in Blaenau Gwent to discover what their local libraries have to offer.
“We are proud of the library service we provide in Blaenau Gwent. There is something for everyone - from books and DVDs to free access to the Internet.”
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.