TOWN NEWS
 Peacehaven proposal at committee this week
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2008 :  21:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has taken from june 2007 until now for this planning proposal to go to planning committee. It goes before the committee at 2pm on thursday. There will be a protest, with placards, outside the council chambers in Ebbw Vale and silently during the meeting in the public gallery. If you can support this please do, as the support of other Tredegar residents would be nice.

Whatever happens this is the first time in a long time that the people have stood up and said NO to the people who are there to serve us. The council received a petition of 233 signatures and 170 letters against the proposal and no letters supporting the proposal. The MP and AM are against the development too and given the makeup of the council they don't have an axe to grind.

Trying to be impartial, there are reasons to grant permission, but more reasons to refuse it and I hope it gets refused. If that happens the developer will appeal to the Welsh Assembly, but I would think there is a good case to turn it down again. The developer can then resubmit after a certain length of time and on and on and on.
If permission is granted I think the land will be sold on to a big company who can afford to sit on it until the housing market picks up in 8 years or so.

I hope that in Tredegar more people will be standing up and saying they want a say in what happens in their town and area. Getting TTC to pull their finger out and fix the clock was a great achievement and people fighting for the relief road is another battle that needs to be won. There are other areas of concern within Tredegar, many of which have been raised on these forums, where we need to organise and fight. When the Peacehaven situation is resolved I will be happy to join the relief road campaign or help with a new campaign.

As a final note, there may not be a decision on Thursday because, rather surprisingly for such a large proposal, councillors haven't been invited to do a site visit by the planning office. A mere oversite i'm sure and hopefully councillors will ask for this to happen before a decision is made.

regards

sean

Edited by - sean on 29/08/2008 21:51:50

vicky

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  19:05:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOO! That was a bit naugthy to forget to ask them to do a site visit, but i'm sure your right with all these new building sites, it just slip there minds!

You can count me in on thursday I'll be there rain, hail or snow.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2008 :  22:25:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The same here, see you @ Ebbw !
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  16:14:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some pictures taken this afternoon at the protest outside the BGBCC offices at Ebbw-Vale by local residents from Tredegar.

Go to Top of Page

sarand

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  16:27:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a good turnout at the planning meeting, where also it was good to meet the webmaster there showing his support for the southern end of Tredegar.
The outcome of the planning meeting is that there has been a site meeting called for councillors to view the surrounding areas and proposed development site. It will then be heard at a special planning meeting, the date to be arranged.
Any further news will be posted on the Tredegar Forum.
Go to Top of Page

vicky

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2008 :  16:50:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who showed up at the planning meeting in this appalling weather but not even that could dampen spirits or the enthusiasm of those there to find out what the outcome was.
And it was nice to put a "name to a face" of the webmaster, thank you for your support.

oops! spelling

Edited by - vicky on 04/09/2008 16:52:35
Go to Top of Page

sarand

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  16:27:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A date has been set by BGCBC for a special planning meeting for the proposed 147 dwellings at Peacehaven. The date confirmed is Tuesday 30th September. There will be a site meeting at 11.00am for councillors to familiarize themselves with the area, then a meeting will be held at 2.00pm at the main Chamber in the Municipal Building, Civic Centre, Ebbw Vale, which has a public viewing gallery to hear the proceedings.
6 minutes each have been allocated for a ward member,the developer and an opposition member to put their issues accross to the voting planning councillors.

Edited by - sarand on 13/09/2008 16:28:16
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2008 :  13:20:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some more information on the link below..

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1368

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2008 :  16:49:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Woolfy

Hi there, I'm originally a top ender and am not fully aware of what is proposed at the site and the reasons for opposition. I'm aware that the development is for 147 houses, but thats about it. I ran past the site and it just looks like a bit of waste land.

September is the cruellest month :)

quote:

Could someone please explain the whole saga from the start please along with why that particular bit of land is so important to so many?

the land has been used by residents and others for decades, as a place of leisure. somewhere to walk, take dogs and older resdents will tell you about the football pitches and cricket pitch. BG council decided to spend it's money elsewhere and the facillities went, eventually leaving a place, which was just used for walking, dogs, running, picking fruit, cycling, kids kicking a ball about and lots of other things. it is the only place in that part of tredegar for stuff like that. kids don't have to pay to play football there and it's reasonably safe.

for some reason BG council decided to make it available for housing. they didn't tell any residents and did the legal minimum to make the change. (something like a notice in the library and two small notices in a newspaper) no residents noticed, so they didn't object.

the land then didn't go out to tender, but became subject to negotiation with one developer, who has bought it for an undisclosed sum. or maybe he hasn't bought it. it is all confidential and we are not allowed to know the ins and outs. you'd need to talk to an expert on land dealings and udp changes, someone like the mayor, john morgan, might be able to help.

the planning department provide a special guidance document for the site, giving various conditions for development, including a limit of 100 houses.
the developer puts in for planning permission for 147 houses.

the planning process gets underway.
the road to get to and from the site goes through an area of oap and disabled bungalows, it is quite narrow and obviously unsuitable, but highways department don't have a problem.
no environment issues are considered until the residents push for the appropriate surveys to be made. the bat one either hasn't been one or completed, as far as i know.
125 year old oak trees are considered insignificant to the area and can be cut down, as the tree officer decides not to put a TPO on them.
the area of the development and part of the road flood when it rains and residents are worried that the water will need to go somewhere else.
because of potential problems with the site it looks like it will need pile driving.
the hillside area nearby has suffered from landslips and an engineer's report recommended no building in the area due to landslip risk. there's only a dozen or so houses that will be affected by the landslip, so not too many people who could get killed and i'm sure the developer will be insured to pay compensation. if not the council could cut some budgets and pay it.

there seem to be various legitmate planning reasons for refusal.

over 200 signatures on petitions against it, two full meetings in the orpheus hall against it, lots of individual letters against it, MP, AM, labour candidate for MP, ward councillor against it.

planning officer recommends approval, with less affordable housing than council policy documents require, much less planning obligation payments than anywhere in the uk and allowing 147 houses even though the council itself decided a limit of 100.

well what a surprise.

quote:

Goodluck for tomorrow

thanks. we shouldn't need it. there are a number of good reasons to turn it down.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  21:04:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see following link for an up-date to this story...

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2879
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.89 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.