Peacehaven Planning Decision
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  13:53:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cae

Is there anyway you can get the officials to see that video? Have you thought of maybe e-mailing it to BBCWales with the whole story?

Memories are made of these.....
www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight

the video was played at the planning meeting. one of the officers stated that the developer will be putting drains in. only on his site though and the water will go through the drains to where???

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  13:55:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Samstan

Is there written proof/ neutral witnesses to a conversation that the Developer was told if he bought the land he'd get planning permission? If not then surely he wouldn't have a claim, and if there is then it makes the council look even more shady and I would have thought the National media would be interested!

he has a claim because the granting of planning permission puts up the value of the land. if it gets taken away in the future he can claim for loss of the difference.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2008 :  07:47:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, that makes sense, not sure that that's fair but when it comes to local government what does?! Thanks the explanation :)
Go to Top of Page

Nick Otime

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  20:12:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi I have been reading the travesty of justice the people of Peacehaven have suffered at the hands of Blaenau Gwents planing committee.
Problem is another one or perhaps two is about to happen again , one which will start off small and end up covering the whole of Blaenau Gwent eventually...."Wind Turbines" yes there is a planning application going through planning committee I believe on the 28th of November at 2pm. The proposal for 4,100 metre high turbines at Mynnydd James between Blaina and Cwmtillery we feel is what would probably be the first of a great number that would follow in Blaenau Gwent. With further prospective Windfarm developers in attendance (licking their lips at the promise of a fantastic income they would recieve at our expense) at the last planning committee meeting covered in the Gwent Gazzette. I am and people like SCAM (Save Coity and Mynydd-James) are not against renewable energy but feel that owing to the natural beauty and the former rape of our fair country during the industrial revolution that the people of Blaenau Gwent deserve better than to be a dumping ground for these Humungus structures blighting our now beautiful mountain ridges and now regenerated valleys landscape. Therefore I think its time for the people of Blaenau Gwent as a whole to stand shoulder to shoulder and show our opposition to any development that is potentially detrimental to our quality of life, be it that we are from Tredegar, Abertillery, Ebbw Vale Blaina or Six Bells for which once again a developer is proposing to erect a powerful Telecom mast above Bryngwyn School in Six Bells for which I hear the good people there are making a stand. Lets start supporting each other and cut down those proposals that are not in our general interests. Meeting to take place at Bryngwyn School, Six Bells, Abertillery regarding Mast on Nov 27th 3pm. Lets end apathy and promote our own interests for our selves our children and future generations.
Go to Top of Page

sarand

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2008 :  20:58:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Nick, welcome to the Tredegar Forum.

Your are certainly correct, it was a big travesty for the people of the southern end of Tredegar to lose their only open space, recreational amenity via a disgraced planning voting procedure. We feel for the people of Blaina and Cwmtillery also to have enforced upon them these huge wind turbines. I also am not against renewable energy but it would be a blot on the landscape in any part of Blaenau Gwent.

I am sure the people of Tredegar support you as you do us and will do what ever we can to help as you say the greed of the developers may be knocking at our doors one day.

I also think it is about time that the councillors, that we voted into power, start listening to the people whom they are supposed to represent. It seems they are manipulated by council officers who seem determined to push particular planning applications through council at the total disregard of People of Blaenau Gwent. I am sure the planning officer Steve Smith would love to have the view of wind turbines from his living room window as I can asure you there are plenty of mountainous areas in the Rhondda Valleys where he resides, but there again NIMBY spings to mind and he knows the planning "recommendations" that would stop any development near his back yard.

Go to Top of Page

vicky

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  11:15:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read about these wind turbines online the other day and was totally shocked they'd even consider put them in this area; then again we are talking about B.G were anything seems to be carry on regardless.
I actually for the first time saw a wind turbines on my hols this year was so shocked at there size took some photos.on the one you can clearly see an excauvator in the shot which looks like a dinky toy; I get these forward on to the forum for all to see asap.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  11:43:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I drove passed the one next to the M4 by Reading the other day. I also was amazed by the shear size of them things!

Why not have them off-shore ?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2008 :  20:15:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Why not have them off-shore ?

Maintenance issues me thinks....

Well, that's the excuse they use down here.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  07:39:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Newcastle, New SOUTH WALES has one wind turbine.

The tower itself is 50 metres (164 feet) in height, the blades are 22 metres (73 feet) each in length giving a diametre of 44 metres (146 feet). It operates only when the wind speed is between 9-45mph (14-72kph approx). It provides between 500-3,000 kilowatts of energy.

Pics and video (10-15secs) taken today in 20mph (30mph gusts) south south east winds.

The naked eye can see it at one mile, but the shot doesn't. See the white tower middle frame?

With 3x zoom.

I tried to capture the sound of the blades, but the wind itself was louder. There is an audible, low pitched "whirring" as each blade passes.

The final video, shows the "shadow-effect", around midday.

And this is what happens when the brakes fail...

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  13:34:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i thought i read somewhere that the ones for BG were 93 metres high.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  14:44:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another letter on the subject of the proposed housing for the Gazette this week (copyright with the Gazette..)

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  20:57:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A recent News article:-

More Than 100 At Windfarm Meeting
Source - South Wales Argus

AROUND 100 people attended a meeting to discuss their concerns over a proposed wind farm in the Blaenau Gwent.

Residents from Blaina, Cwmtillery, Nantyglo and Abertillery who attended the meeting at St Peter’s Church, Blaina, on Tuesday night, say they are totally opposed to a proposal to build four 328ft high turbines on a four hectare site on Mynydd James mountain between Cwmtillery and Blaina.
They say they are worried the turbines could pose health risks and will disturb what many believe is an unstable mountainside.
An application was originally submitted by Pennant Wind Energy Ventures Ltd for 24 turbines in November 2003, but it was scaled down to the four-turbine plan now up for debate.
Blaenau Gwent council deferred making a decision on the proposal until after a site visit and special meeting of the council where all interested parties, developer and residents can air their views.
Those who attended the meeting said they were concerned about the potential danger of the blades breaking off the turbines in high winds and expressed concern that if the plans get the go ahead many more turbines could be added to the mountainside in the future.
The group have now formed a committee and started a petition, which they hope to submit to the council in objection to the plans. They also plan to hold meetings in the surrounding wards to gain further support.
Chairman of the meeting, Rev Roger Hewett, said residents were prepared to fight against the proposals.
He said: “We will fight this tooth and nail and let them know that we are not going to let it happen at any cost.
“We have got to stand firm, this is not a time for apathy or standing back, we have to stand up for the Valleys.”
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  04:04:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Action Group Seeks Judicial Review Of Homes Plan

A TREDEGAR action group is seeking a judicial review against plans to build 147 new homes at Peacehaven.

STAG, the South Tredegar Action Group, wants Blaenau Gwent council's decision to grant planning permission for the Davies Homes development to be reversed.
Residents say it will take away their only bit of leisure land and are worried that the area's infrastructure will not be able to cope with the new development.
The vice chairwoman of STAG, Vicky Littlewood, 40, has lived on the Peacehaven estate all her life. She said: "At the moment we are in consultation with our solicitors about launching a judicial review against the development.
"We feel we must do this because it is the right thing for the community.
"This is the only piece of land that we have at the south end of Tredegar for leisure use and the loss of this recreational area cannot be replaced.
"We are also worried the highways will not cope with additional vehicles a day and will cause severe congestions."
Planning permission was granted for the development in September this year and the sale of land at Peacehaven to Davies Homes Ltd was completed in December 2007.
The decision to sell in principle to the developer was taken in 2003 as the land was allocated for residential development in the council's Unitary Development Plan.
Powys Jones, the planning consultant for Davies Homes Ltd said: "As far as we are concerned the planning department of Blaenau Gwent council went out of their way to make sure all the information they needed to make a decision on this development was available to them.
"As far as a judicial review against the development is concerned, the STAG group are entitled to do what they would like within the law and we will have to wait to see what happens."
A spokeswoman for Blaenau Gwent council said the decision to grant planning permission was made after an informal meeting between the planning committee, the developer Davies Homes Ltd and residents from Peacehaven - who were given the opportunity to address councillors about their concerns.
"At the subsequent special planning meeting, members of the committee considered a detailed officer's report that covered all relevant planning issues," the spokeswoman said.
"The committee decided that planning permission should be granted for 147 homes, subject to the council and the developer entering into a legal agreement under section 106 of the Town and Country Planning Act 1990."
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2008 :  18:11:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Picture below (c) South Wales Argus, appeared with report posted above.

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  19:42:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slightly on topic: Some great opportunities to photograph the wildlife down peacehaven : )

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  00:04:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some sorta 3 legged sheep?

Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1094 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2009 :  12:23:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an absolutely stunning pic!!! Well done Panda!!!
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  15:20:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What an incredible picture Panda. Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

ken sully
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2009 :  16:20:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with all the sh*t about no to this no to that is this why this town is dead

kdsullivan
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 27/06/2009 :  22:37:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Power Firm Make New Bid For Valleys Windfarm

A COMPANY behind a controversial wind farm proposal is appealing against a council's decision to reject the scheme.

But one of the members of a group which battled long and hard against the plans say they will "fight it to the bitter end".
Blaenau Gwent's planning committee threw out the application for four 328-foot high turbines on Mynydd James, between Cwmtillery and Blaina earlier this year.
Pennant Wind Ventures has now lodged an appeal with the Planning Inspectorate which will be decided by an independent expert.
A battle to keep the mountainside clear of wind turbines began in 2003 with proposals for 24 turbines but this was later scaled down to four.
The initial scheme was withdrawn in 2004 but Pennant put forward fresh plans in the Spring of 2007 which were finally refused in January this year.
Developers said the project would have provided an important boost for the economy, providing £2 million in local construction contracts and £500,000 for community trust funds over its lifetime.
However, opponents were worried about the stability of the site, the visual impact, the potential negative effect on tourism, noise pollution and wildlife.
Farmer Derek Jones, of SCAM (Save Coity and Mynydd James), said it would be built in what was currently a lovely, peaceful area and too close to his property.
He was not surprised that the company was appealing.
"We will fight to the very last and whatever the outcome is we will abide by that."
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.42 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.