Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  09:46:06  Show Profile
The front page of today's ARGUS is carrying a report on this topic. To read the full judgment go to www.cgvbg.org.uk and follow the link.

Remember too .... a number of our town councillors, and the Mayor, are on the board of Governors at the school!

Both Trish Law and Dai Davies have been given full information and will be dealing with matters in the near future.

Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure!

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  09:53:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ChrissieG

..Te audire non possum. Musa sapientum fixa est in aure!

Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  11:15:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ChrissieG

The front page of today's ARGUS is carrying a report on this topic. To read the full judgment go to www.cgvbg.org.uk and follow the link.

Remember too .... a number of our town councillors, and the Mayor, are on the board of Governors at the school!

Both Trish Law and Dai Davies have been given full information and will be dealing with matters in the near future.

why does the behaviour of the officers at the council not surprise me.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  13:51:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile

Me to and some jelly and blanchmange in the other one...i think i may be a trifle deaf

Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  14:07:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
I think that my "profile signature" is causing more of a stir than the subject matter!

Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  14:30:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Just how bad is the bullying at the school? There was bullying when I was at school but mostly verbal abuse and very little physical abuse. Mostly the overweight kids would get bullied or the ones who came from very poor homes.

I have a mate who had to take his son out of the school as a result of bullying. His young lad tied something round his neck attached it too his bunkbed and threw himself off. Luckily his mum heard a bump and found him gasping for air.
Go to Top of Page

OLDTIMER

14 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  15:06:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
what worrys me is if the head is bullying staff what does that tell the children how to behave? i thought i read somewhere not long ago that bullying has been almost stopped in schools did someone forget to tell the staff
Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  15:08:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
I'm not aware that there is a huge problem with pupils being bullied. There are things in place, and a good team of pupil "counsellors" who are there to help others. The kids in this school tend to look after each other as much as possible. They are a nice bunch - generally.

The bullying that I experienced was against me, and by the Head teacher. I am not alone in this, and others are now willing to come forward. This consisted of "put-downs", discrimination, and worst of all, allegations of supposed "misconduct" on my part but refusal to tell me exactly what I'd done. I couldn't defend myself against any of the allegations that were alluded to. At first it was "lesson swapping", and "not doing set work"; but later changed to very serious allegations (no details of course) that the Judge said went "to the heart of Mrs Gray's character and capabilities". I still do not know exactly of what I am accused - therefore still cannot defend myself. As far as I am aware, I have done nothing wrong. However, until I am given a chance to defend myself, the Head and her co-conspiritors can get away with saying whatever they like about me.

As I've said above, I'm not the only one who has been badly treated at the school. There is a history of staff complaints (about the Head or other senior managers) not being dealt with. Governors at the school have either not been told/kept informed or they have failed to act on information given.

John Morgan, Mayor and Chair of Governors, was fully aware of the problems I was experiencing. Apart from an initial referral to a Grievance panel, no action was taken by him or his Deputy when they were informed that it had not been resolved.

Another member of staff also informed him that she, too, was suffering because of ill-treatment by a member of Management, but nothing seems to have been passed on to the Governing body at all. The Head tried to keep a lid on it, and this was allowed. No Grievance meeting was ever arranged for her, and she ended up leaving the school because nothing was done for her. To make matters even worse, BGCBC tried to get her to sign a "keep quiet" type of document, or face a court case for defrauding the council of about 60. (This was purely because they had made an error in her last pay packet!)

What can you say?...............

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  21:50:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
ChrissieG,

Thank you for letting everybody know of this. I'm shocked !

I've never seen any Governors say anything against any head teacher, Indeed, I'm not convinced that they serve any purpose at all !

bullying, they should be shamed of themselves....
Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  22:21:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
I certainly have felt disappointed with the governing body at this school, in-so-far as they appear to fall into three categories. Those that knew and did nothing; those that did not know and therefore could do nothing; those that don't participate and want to do nothing.

But you notice the main word here is "nothing".

It must be said though, the governing body in my last school was extremely effective, informed and involved - by choice. And when this happens, it can only benefit all concerned - school, staff and pupils, and the wider community of which it should be the heart.

The problems here are down to a really bad communication problem. It appears that there are things that are just not getting through - by accident or design. This situation is unacceptable, and results in action of the sort I, and others, have had to take. Ultimately, this compounds and affects pupils, as staff morale drops because they feel that they are banging their heads against a brick wall. You stop doing extra things - going the extra mile. It's a downward spiral that just keeps on going.

I was asked by reporters what was the best thing about the judgment for me. My response was that it now gave me back my voice so that I can do whatever I need to do to ensure that this CANNOT happen to anyone else. I don't care about the money. BGCBC offered 2000 "economic settlement" before the Tribunal. I turned it down because any settlement is tied to a "confidentiality" clause - i.e. SHUT UP. This was totally unacceptable. I may have got nearly 18,000 compensation, but to me, the Judgment itself was priceless.

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  23:08:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Non illigitamus carborundum

Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  08:57:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Res firma mitescere nescrit!

Go to Top of Page

OLDTIMER

14 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  12:14:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
sorry folks too dull to understand the foreign language! maybe a transalation would help. Another thing i want to now is will anything be done about the way people involved have behaved? or will it be ignored and then forgotten about
Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  19:12:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
I am a concerned parent who have just read the this topic on the forum. this is disgusting the way ChrissieG has been treated, my question is. who is the board of governors another than the town mayor,and why did they allow this to happen in the first place ???? WHAT IS GOING ON IN THIS SCHOOL
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2008 :  19:39:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
It was a s hite school when I was there and I'm glad my sister is sending her kids to the Catholic school so eventually they will go to Bishop Headley.

Even though they'll be brainwashed with religion they should turn out pretty level headed. Their athiest uncle will see to that lol.
Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  09:09:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Well Morris 1975, i think i'll buy a new broom from the pound shop after all this bad press. A new broom sweeps clean and let it sweep the board of governors first and then the head into a dust bin. Oh dear me, i'm sounding like a bully.
Go to Top of Page

draigar08

11 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  17:15:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
I am not suprised that the governors allowed it to happen. I have recently left the school and was harrassed by one of them - even during my exams!! Although I won't name her on here, she knows which one I am talking about. Despite my Dad sending complaints into school, even by recorded delivery, nothing was done about it. I'm glad I left.

I must add however that ALL the teachers I had were GREAT. It's a shame about the people in charge.
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  17:30:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
draigar didyou come across any bullying amongst the kids at the school. I know of at least 2 very bad cases in the last couple of years.
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  17:42:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by morris1975

draigar didyou come across any bullying amongst the kids at the school. I know of at least 2 very bad cases in the last couple of years.

Bullying in the school amongst the teens in the school is a daily thing, I wasn't aware of a staff thing going on though!
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  18:02:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Yeah Panda that's what I thought this thread was going t be about and not the staff shenanigans.If you were a member of staff being bullied a hidden camera or taperecorder would have been you best aid and then you could still perform your job to the best of your abilities safe in the knowledge that you have the ammunition to nail the perpertrators.
Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  18:21:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Well if the head is bully herself which was the reason for the topic, "i think" would she notice if it was happening to her pupils. its all abit worrying for our children.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  21:19:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Bullying is unacceptable whether its aimed at children or adults!

I don't see how a recorder of any sort would have helped - you can't have one running all the time, and there are child-protection issues to consider in a school situation anyway. If you're caught recording anything to do with children/young-people/vulnerable adults etc, you can find yourself in serious trouble. The main problems I encountered fell into what could be called the "malicious rumour" category. People saying things about you in such a way that you can't counter them. A tape recorder would not have been any use in that kind of situation.

I think that the main perpertrator thought that I would be an easy target, because she knew that I was recovering from a great personal tragedy. (This is quite usual for bullies I understand - pick on what you believe to be a weak target.) That was bad enough in itself, but when she then tried to use MY tragedy as a way of extracting her backside from the s*** she'd put herself in when she completely fell apart under cross-examination - that was a step too far!

Aside from herself, and the Governing body, Blaenau Gwent are also in the frame here. This went from the school, to the LEA, to the Director of Education, all of whom, did absolutely nothing to stop what was happening. They had at least seven chances to put things right, but failed to do so. There was NO-ONE, ANYWHERE, that was willing to step forward and say "This is wrong".

I will do everything I am able to do to make sure that things are now put to rights!

... and anything that changes things can only benefit everyone in the school - staff and pupils alike.....

Go to Top of Page

miss Kizzy

26 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  09:55:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
who's going to walk the plank first for this mess?
Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  10:29:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Can't answer that question Miss Kizzy. But more to the point, no-one else can either - that is until someone actually asks ME some questions. This stuff started on the 29th November 2005, and no-one has ever asked me for my side of any potential "story"!

(But, then, if there isn't really a "story" - how can you ask a question?)

Go to Top of Page

Chris Gray

United Kingdom
40 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  15:33:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
Just a bit more information for anyone who might be interested....

When hubby and self asked about career progression/promotion at the school, Head said that there was absolutely no chance.

Hubby's in his fifth year of employment - still in the same position....

...but...

the School Governor who got MY job is miraculously made into a teacher within six months of starting!

Anyone else get the idea that something "fishy" might be going on?

Go to Top of Page

Whitehouse
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
393 Posts

Posted - 19/10/2008 :  18:15:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile
My wife worked in the school offic some years ago covering longterm sick for 12 months. Job was then advertised, she did not get the job. Went to someone who new someone on governors. When asked why see did not get the job she was told that it was beacuse she did drive and part of the job was to take sick pupils home. The person in post never drove the kids home the teachers did. So there goes nothing new happening.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.5 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.