Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  17:05:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

May I make a suggestion please ???
I would love to see a Gardeners section on this site, where us diggers could come out of the potting shed and ask the advice of like minded gardeners, and pass on some tips too. Maybe even a swop system.
Any body want to come digging on here with me???????
Regards
lilly (wearing wellies)

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  19:14:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for it!

1st question:

Is it best to plant hardy fuschias in borders or pots and is it advisable to cut back (if so when)?

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

ddraig

United Kingdom
1695 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  19:34:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it depends on the fuschia, I have a hardy one (or two or ten) and I hack it back to a stump every year and it still grows eight foot,(part triffid?) I think the larger the flower the less hardy they are and often a hard frost will kill even those.
Borders tends to protect the roots better, pots would need more protection and I always cut back mine around April.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2008 :  21:20:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmm Thanks,

I bought a couple of hardies this year, due to the fact that have no success in over-wintering others types. If these survive (in the pots, small flowers) I'll re-plant in the border. If they die I'll buy somemore and plant straight into the border.

Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  17:13:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it warms my heart to know that I am not a lone gardener here on this site. Thanks so much for responding.
Peregrine, as for your fushias, I like ddraig, have more sucess planting them in the borders, and they last for years. I take a few cuttings off them (you can do that now, its not too late, in my experiance) I take them about 6 inches long, stick them in a tall pot and just leave them to overwinter, and its Whooopppeeee plants for free in the spring. DIP THE CUTTINGS IN MILK JUST BEFORE YOU POT THEM UP, This works like magic for me, it stops them rotting off.
I dip all my cuttings in milk, its a great tip I learned from a kind old gardener some years ago. I sometimes spray new seedlings with milk too, cos mine can sometimes go a bit gooey in the greenhouse when the damp weather hits us.
Hope this helps.
Regards lilly
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  17:22:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now I got a leaf problem, a tree on waste ground behind me drops its leaves which blows into my back garden. I dont know what tree it is, but the leaves are allways deseased !!! The leaves go yellow, have brown spots on them, and brown lumps like blisters.
For the past two years I have lost my runner beans to chocolate spot, and I believe that the desease is linked to this damn tree. I am going to try and work out how to put a photo of the leaves on here for you to see, trouble is I'm not sure how to go about uploading it, evenso I'll be having a try in the hope that you may recognise this problem and be able to help me.
lilly
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  17:24:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lilly,

Just send the pic into the webteam@tredegar.co.uk :o)
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  17:30:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lilly

....... DIP THE CUTTINGS IN MILK JUST BEFORE YOU POT THEM UP,...........
Regards lilly

The whole cutting or just the cut tips?? Ta!

Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2008 :  18:11:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You only need to dip the tips in the milk, dip them in or brush the milk on them with an old soft paint brush. It doesn't matter how much of the cutting gets covered with the milk, it can only do good.
It seems that milk has its own natural good bacteria which is great for the cuttings.
You can do the same thing with rose cuttings at this time of year too, just cut off a good 6 to 8 inches, off your or your kind neighbours rose bush.
lilly.
PS Thanks for the photo info, I will give it a try. I'm better in the potting shed than on the computer I'm afraid, lol.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.