New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  19:26:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it looks like they are about to go bust. i would think a big effect on the town centre unless they get replaced.

regards

sean

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  20:22:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its just gone under. Thats very bad news for all towns in the valley's :o(

However, Woolworths joint venture with BBC Worldwide, publisher 2 Entertain, will not go into administration as it is owned by Woolworths' parent company. And all stores will remain open and keep trading, at least for now.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7751064.stm
Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

339 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2008 :  22:52:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What kind of country is it that gives 500bn to banks so they can lend you money to buy stuff you don't need, while at the same time stands idly by as Woolworths goes down the toilet, thereby losing the only shop that sells anything even remotely useful?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  06:52:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A video from the main news last night of the state of Woolworth.

Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  08:00:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gutted
Go to Top of Page

Terry
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
202 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  11:53:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the reasons given for the Woolworth problems was
that they stayed loyal to the high street, the only good thing to come out of this, is that to the run up to xmas they will be cutting thier prices,
but come the new year if Tredegar branch closes, it is going to deverstate
our town, we will be left with next to nothing, and it is the small local shops that will suffer.

love a whiskey but must be BELLS,
Go to Top of Page

Woolfy
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
151 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  12:05:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Possibley, i think Wollies problem was trying to leave the high street and look to the out of town market with the Big W. Maybe by concentrating their efforts on the high street they would be in less competition with other out of town stores. Who knows?

This will kill our town. An effort to do all Christmas shopping at Wollies is called for me thinks!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  12:07:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watching the telly last night with Mrs Pierre when the closure of Woolworth come on, she said "Well that's it for town if our closes!"

As Terry said, its bad news for the town.

Over the last few months,7 shops have shut in Tredegar !

7!

That also means less income for Blaenau Gwent Council from business rates, so will our Council Tax go up ?

And the people that could loss their job, on top of the 100 odd people that have lost their jobs just this month with factory closures in the town......

Picture below of the shop in town......

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2008 :  23:10:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a look at woolies Christmas ad from 1983. Look at the prices !!

Val

Edited by - valll on 27/11/2008 23:15:33
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2008 :  08:20:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1983, I would have thought that then were the best times for the stores......

What long advert we had then :o)
Go to Top of Page

welshprincess

100 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:27:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It will be very sad for the town, but i gotta say the are very expensive on alot of their products though, ok price cuts comin up to xmas is good, but still seen the products cheaper else where(even with pricecuts)
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  09:42:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the day after it was announced it was going into administration, the place was heaving full of people with tokens and stuff trying to exchange then for stuff in-case it closed....
Go to Top of Page

LorryM

Australia
42 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  14:01:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible for you loosing Woolies. Your Govt. sound worse than ours and thats hard to do. But chin up we have only just got Woolies in the last 5 years. Very small one at that. We have had Coles for 10 years. Action (went broke) now IGA. We have a population of 20,000 most of the year except from November until Easter when the place explodes with tourists to approx 60,000. We all coped. Still have,nt looked like getting a Big W or K Mart. It will work out except for the young people being out of work, thats heart breaking.

LorryM (Australia)

L.Macintyre

L. Macintyre
Go to Top of Page

Serenglas

3 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2008 :  15:01:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whilst I agree 100% with what everyone is saying about how bad the loss of Woolies will be for Tredegar, I've always thought that the 1st nail in the coffin for Tredegar Woolworths happened when the store got 50% smaller in (I think) the middle of the 1980s.

Dogs have owners, cats have staff.
Go to Top of Page

Gem

19 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  14:42:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
load of crap in woolies today, everything is 10% off not 50% like the news said
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  15:43:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gem

load of crap in woolies today, everything is 10% off not 50% like the news said

Doesn't it say up to 50% off not for everything though!
I bought an item there the other day, reduced from 16 to 4.20
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  19:03:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard today there had been fighting in woolies dont know if it was in tred or ebbw

Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  20:06:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wii and xbox games in Woolworths even with 10 percent off were not cheap as other shops and they wonder why they in a mess.
Go to Top of Page

jcarpenter1967

8 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2008 :  23:30:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its an end of an era for woolies in this town and with them gone I can not see the town lasting much longer. With a major shop gone only luck will help us if anything else goes there.

I would not mind a Tesco Express because you can not get half of the stuff you really want from the other 3 shops.
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  07:36:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Iceland have bought 50 Woolworths shops and while i would rather keep Woolies....Iceland would be ok for Tredegar.

Edited by - oldcefnlad on 12/12/2008 07:37:41
Go to Top of Page

west105

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  21:31:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see west105's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
i think you will not get much better frozen food shop then farm foods and they are cheeper then iceland
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2008 :  21:40:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would Welcome Iceland just as long sas we don't have that waste of space "Kerry Katona" opening the place, although all the chavs tound Tredegar would probably wet themselves in anticipation.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  20:59:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So it looks like Woolworths will start to close ALL their stores in the UK from the 27th December 2008.

Bad news :o(

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7787904.stm
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  16:12:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now WHY is it that this goverment will let woolies, MFI go to the wall but will now it seems pump our tax s into an Indian owned co JAGUAR/LAND ROVER (they knew what it was like when they brought it from FORD) is it because BROWN like to ride around in these gass guzzling cars? should they not be left to go to the wall? save the planet and all that.
Go to Top of Page

west105

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  17:46:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see west105's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
yes why jag, i dont think many people will be wanting those big cars for a while, so let them go to the wall after all they are not ours, lets remember rover there was no bail out for them, save woolies would get my vote if it came to it
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2008 :  18:44:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that Jag/LR are no better than Rover and don't deserve our money, but then neither do Woolies. Joe Public doesn't want what these companies are/were selling in big enough quantities to make them profitable. I was made redundant 8 years ago after 14 years and no-one bailed me out nor did I expect them to. Losing your job is sad and I feel for the people who are losing out, particularly at this time of year, but that's the way it is. There is no magic wand. I'm sad to say also that, I believe, this is just the tip of the iceberg, 2009 is looking grim.

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.