Map of Tredegar
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  23:55:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to locate the earliest possible map of Tredegar, possibly early 1900's or earlier if there is any around?
Where would the best place to look?
I also checked out the 'Town Map' in the info section, and seen that blown up to about A1? size previously, where can one obtain a big copy of that?

Expect some more questions from me soon :P

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2008 :  08:25:14 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ya Panda

The below link is quite good.

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

The A1 map you refer to was generously donated to www.Tredegar.co.uk.

The "Boss" will advise you on that one.

Keep um coming Mate!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  09:34:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Panda,

Emyrs has very kindly sent of a good map of Tredegar in 1873, and we have placed it in the Tredegar-On-Line gallery here.

As for the larger map that AussieWelshman mentioned, that is dated from 1880 and is of very good quality. It was donated by a forum member, and anybody is more when welcome to pop up and see it

Hope to get is framed somehow and then maybe lend it out to some of the schools in the town for the kids to see.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  16:37:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre.

Being a lover of maps I had a squint at the ones you mentioned above, excellent, but there is a small problem. The one from 1879, isn't. The reason I know is that I owned a house in Alexandra Terrace in Georgetown and the deeds show the house as being built in 1895. However all the tearraces of G'town, including Alex' are shown completed on the map. I shall investigate further and report back.

Stay tuned.

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?

Edited by - Peregrine Honeydew on 15/12/2008 19:47:51
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  19:20:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right. The map doesn't show all the terraces complete, Mafeking is only just started and a big chunk of Victoria is missing. However all the others are in place. So unless the terraces in Georgetown were built and then renamed 25 years later at the time of the Second Boer War and new deeds written, the map date is incorrect. I put the map at 1901+, 1900 at the earliest. Battle of Colenso 1899, Siege of Ladysmith 1899 - 1900, Siege of Mafeking 1899 - 1900. The Fernbank wall is also visible. The date shown on it is I think 1894. So if this is the latest version of the wall on the map it would also point to a date later than 1879.

I'll continue the hunt..............

Edited by - Peregrine Honeydew on 15/12/2008 19:47:21
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2008 :  19:43:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.......sometime later.........the plot thickens. Following a phonecall, there are houses also shown in Vale Terrace that are deeded in 1890, however there are houses between Georgetown school and Llyswedog fawr that were deeded in 1886 that are not shown. Also St James church is missing.
This would suggest that the streets in Georgetown were renamed and the map date is correct.

So why were the deeds to these houses issued/reissued without reference to the earlier build date

It's like being on Timeteam!! "'ere Karenza, come and have a look at this!"

Edited by - Peregrine Honeydew on 15/12/2008 19:46:23
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13890 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2008 :  20:47:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is most odd ?

More old maps placed on the Tredegar on-line gallery in the map section
here
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.59 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.