Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 Street Lights - Will They Be Switched Off ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2009 :  23:57:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A lot in the Welsh news in the last few months about the possiblility of the local councils switching off street lights to save money.

One local Council Powys, has done just that, please see below.

Would you be happy to have your street lights off after midnight to save money ?

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2009 :  21:22:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some results are in!

Click:- Poor Response To Torfaen Streetlight Survey
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  09:11:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NO. NO, NO,

NOT ON If they turn lights off they must put more police on the street to many dark corners now for the drunks and drugies crime will rise.
Go to Top of Page

seanr
Advanced Member

188 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  16:09:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im in agreement with Kenneth

if the pubs are going to stay open till x o'clock, then the street lighting should be on till at least an hour after that time, it only makes sense, otherwise the number of deaths of pedestrians is going to increase

as for putting more police on the streets, i dont think thats going to happen

if government wants to introduce a 24 hour society (soemthing i havent a problem with in principle) then the infra structure needs to be able to accomadate it - its one or the other im affraid

regards
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  16:29:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I have noticed is that street lighting is getting more patchy in Tredegar, whether this is down to surreptitious cost savings or poor maintenance I'm not sure. The street lights around me appear to be on a timer and so come on a while after its dark and go off whilst its still dark (on around 5pm off around 7:30am), I've also noticed stretches of road where the street lights are off on my way to work in a morning (6:30am ish) when its still pitch black.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  16:56:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'v noticed sirhowy hill lights going off before its light in the mornings,also stockton way and the lidls area is patchy

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  16:59:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that turning the street lights off at night "could" lead to an increase in undesirable behaviour late at night, but in this day and age it must be possible to randomly switch off certain sets of lights for an hour between say 2 and 5 am. This would amount to a fair saving over a year....................................

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  17:05:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"it must be possible to randomly switch off certain sets of lights for an hour between say 2 and 5 am."

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm not such a goos idea we get woken up with drunks still shouting about and fighting at 3 in the morning. There dose not seem a time of day or night when the "lads" are not about drinking ot of their tinnies.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  20:47:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We can't say "Ok let's not save energy because the louts won't be able to see!". It seems that having the lights on doesn't stop 'em "louting" anyway (new word there might catch on). When it comes to increased thefts and so on the case is stronger I agree, but a random off time of even half an hour all over the UK would save loads of energy and cash. In fact even this would equate to a saving of almost 3.1% on street light energy bills, That's got to be a huge amount.

Edited by - Peregrine Honeydew on 18/01/2009 20:49:18
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  21:04:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine Honeydew

.."louting"...(new word there might catch on)

"Louting" - Present participle of 'Lout'

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2009 :  23:19:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lout·ed, lout·ing, louts
1. To bow or curtsy.
2. To bend or stoop.

Not a new word, but a new use.......could be.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2009 :  09:04:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aye...

Correct in context, but bad grammatically with poor syntax.

Let's go with it.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  11:14:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats more important saving £s and energy or peoples safty so what is the value of life.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  18:52:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

Whats more important saving £s and energy or peoples safty so what is the value of life.

Oh Come on. These two are not mutually exclusive. Switching street lights off randomly for half an hour or more a night is not going to harm anyone. Do you think Crims' and louts are going to wait up the Domen, Helicopter at the ready, targeting blacked out areas and swooping down on the innocent? In fact lets advertise when and where the lights are off and Lilly Law can be there blacked up in the bushes waiting, dogs to hand! The perfect Honeytrap! Jobs a good 'un.

Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  19:16:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"SING ALONG WITH ME NOW!"

Turn off the street lights,
They're expensive don't you know,
Street Lights,
It's the only way you know,
Steet Lights,
There are thousands of pounds to pay,
Street Lights,
Turn them off it's the only way
OH

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  12:14:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PH I have no idea where you live (and cant say as I want to know) but Im d** sure you dont see what we see going past or front door at all times if the night and day come to that. Must say and I dont mean to ofend BUT your sounding like one of BROWNS merry band of spin doctors, that need to get out and see the real world.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  13:30:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

PH I have no idea where you live (and cant say as I want to know) but Im d** sure you dont see what we see going past or front door at all times if the night and day come to that. Must say and I dont mean to ofend BUT your sounding like one of BROWNS merry band of spin doctors, that need to get out and see the real world.

I welcome constructive critisism of my opinion. When you have some, please do feel free.
Tempted as I am, I will refrain from entering into argument with you.
Have a nice day!

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  21:46:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
6000 Blaenau Gwent Streetlights Could Switch-Off
Source - South Wales Argus

NEARLY half the street lights in Blaenau Gwent could be switched off under new council proposals to save money.

Blaenau Gwent council is considering switching off 6,000 of the borough’s 13,000 street lights between midnight and dawn on some A and B roads.
If this proposal is passed, it could save the council £180,000 for the next financial year.
Blaenau Gwent cabinet member for highways, Donald Wilcox, said no final decision will be made on where the lights will be switched off until a risk assessment is completed in the next few weeks.
He said the lights would not be switched off in town centres or at key road junctions and the lights in key residential areas would be kept on but some residential areas would be affected.
He said: “We do not want to switch off any lights in Blaenau Gwent, but with the energy costs and low budget settlement we have no option.”
The news has already caused concern among residents. Helen Tucker from Waengron Road in Blaina said: “I think this could cause a lot of problems. Some people are petrified to go out at night already, so this is only going to make things worse.
Christine Goulding, 32, from Blaina said: “I think the plans to turn them off are completely ridiculous and I would definitely think twice before going out when they are off.”
Opposition councillor Hedley McCarthy said the plans will affect the safety and security of everyone in Blaenau Gwent.
The lights being considered for switch-off in Blaenau Gwent are fitted with remote switching technology, enabling them to be switched off from a central location.
A spokeswoman for Blaenau Gwent council confirmed town councils, businesses community and trade unions are now taking part in a consultation process.
She added: “At this stage we have no further plans to consult with local people.”
The final proposals for the budget savings will go to a special meeting of the council’s executive committee on March 2 and to a special Full Council on March 10
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  10:16:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The street lights have been off (faulty) for months now up where I live. Four phone calls to the contact centre later at Blaunau Gwnt Council and they are still not working. In fairness they turn up and fix it and all is fine for 24 hours, then they stop again....

They will switch them off if you ask me.... No money to leave them on.

Wheres all the money going then ?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  10:59:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

...Wheres all the money going then ?

Legal advice.
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  12:27:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what about a complete change of lighting from using sodium arc to l.e.d's would that help
Go to Top of Page

myriad
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
334 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2009 :  22:43:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How is it going to save money, just an opportunist excuse to fall in a pot hole and claims direct here they come!
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2009 :  17:41:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello myriad i don't think that a pot hole is needed just change the lamp head along side a light senor,maybe a hook up with a solar panel and battery on top of the head so in the long term it should save money and any holes
Go to Top of Page

swalk2855
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2009 :  12:32:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
two things for me that relate to this 1. i work in cwmbran and they have been turning off the street lights for quite a while which isnt good when you finish work late but recently theyve decided to turn off all the lights in the car parks so i dont feel safe anymore as when i finish work its just generally my car alone in the car park so going by what im already experiancing i definatley wouldnt want ot see all the lights out in tredegar.
2. if they go ahead and turn off light to save money does that mean we pay less council tax? as one of the things we pay for is street lighting!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

lilly
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2009 :  19:14:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does it make sense to keep the Mulitstorey Carpark in Ebbw-Vale fully illuminated ALL night. Its locked and not in use at night but it is still kept fully lit up !!! Its like Blackpool tower !!

Lets knock off those light and keep our street light on I say.

Regards lilly
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  07:28:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an inkling that this is already started but in a subtle way. This morning I almost reversed into my gate post - why? Because the street lights on the road were off (and not cos I was half asleep ;))! Infact as I drove through Tredegar I could see maybe a dozen roads with street lights on but all the rest inc. the main road was in darkness. This was at 6:20am so hardly bright although I'll admit it wasn't pitch dark with sunrise 30mins away. I don't know what time the lights went off but it was definitely still dark!

How many of us would notice if they went off 30mins earlier tomorrow, and then the same again the enxt day? It'd only be the early risers or when they went off early enough for the night owls to notice that we'd be aware they were doing this.

What I'm intrigued to know is where all the cash is going - switching off street lights, switching to fortnightly bin collections yet we have the highest Council tax rates in Wales and are about to be hit by one of the biggest rises in the UK. Anybody else thinks the sums don't add up?!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.3 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.