Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 General Discussion - Tredegar
 A Rubbish Return To Old Home Town........
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  20:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Letter that appeared in last week's Gwent Gazette.

Is this a wake up call for all of us, or something we already knew ?

Comments Welcomed

(c) Gwent Gazette

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2009 :  23:56:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pierre
Could you please explain why seanr was erased.

morgan

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  12:04:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Morgan,

Sorry, I don't know what you mean? Nothing has been removed, unless the author removed it ?

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  12:26:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kay is so right im so pleased Im not the only one to see what a s*** tip Tredegar has/is becoming but sadly every time I open my trap about it no one takes any notice. Its got even worse over the past few years. As I have said B 4 and will continue to say. Untill the council, councillors and police take interest in what is goin on around them (something we are paying them to do) then the litter, parking, mud verges,off road bikes and kiddie car racers will onlt drag the town down even more. You may say its down to the people who live here to YES it is BUT unless action is taken and be seen to be taken against these messy lawless people what can the good people do? just take the abuse or something worse for the litter dropper when they are told they have dropped something.
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  16:17:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies Pierre,
As you stated the post must have been removed by the author

Go to Top of Page

judaki
Advanced Member

Greece
219 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:23:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On a recent visit back to Tredegar (where I lived from 1977 - 94)I couldn't help noticing the amount of litter and rubbish everywhere. Sadly, I can report it's not really any better in the majority of UK towns. In fact when I lived in Abergavenny I remember having a running battle with anyone who would listen by having my letters published in the local press. All the council did was send me pictures of a square metre of ground with rubbish in it! The first would have 5 crisp packets, 5 plastic bottles and 5 cans of coke etc. Gradually the amount of rubbish in each square metre would increase until...hey presto maybe two years after the last time...this warrants a litter-pick!
I now live in Greece and the Greeks are terrible litter-louts, but the local council employs people to litter-pick very regularly, so it never gets to the point that you need to complain. (Fly tipping is another matter here though!!)
The problem as I see it is down to a lack of education by parents, schools and so on. I mean, how many of you members would even dream of dropping litter? I remember as a child panicking like hell if I accidentally dropped a sweet wrapper, and would go chasing after it to retrieve it before anyone thought I'd done it on purpose!
I remember in Pontypool once my husband and I saw a little girl of around 10 open a bar of some confectionary and throw the wrapper to the ground outside Woolworths. We looked around and saw at least two rubbish bins in the vicinity. As litter is a bit of bugbear of mine I picked up the wrapper and approached the girl. I said "excuse me young lady, I think you just dropped this" Her reply was..."oh thanks but I don't want it anymore"! Gobsmacked I told her she should put it in the bin. She took it and walked away. I turned to watch her and she just threw it down on the pavement again. So, where did that 10 year old learn that behaviour? I wanted to speak to her again but thought better of it for fear she'd report me for some abuse or other!

Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:25:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The town has been like what the person has described pretty much for as long as I remember really, so from my experience it's nothing new...
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  17:42:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Panda dose that make it right ? and dose it look nice? are you happy to see the litter? OR would you rather see the streets clean and tidy?

Its down to us to do something about it like stop doing it, and its up to th elaw to spot fine the people that do, do it.
Go to Top of Page

seanr
Advanced Member

188 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  22:25:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello morgan

i deleted my post, as i felt the person who wrote this letter originally wouldnt have read this forum anyway, and as such what was the point of posting.

i did try and get the gazette today - have they changed the day of publication again? i went in 2 shops and they still had last weeks (albeit, stringed up ready to go back)

regards
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2009 :  22:42:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

So Panda dose that make it right ? and dose it look nice? are you happy to see the litter? OR would you rather see the streets clean and tidy?

Its down to us to do something about it like stop doing it, and its up to th elaw to spot fine the people that do, do it.

I do my part to keep things clean, it's up for others to do their job (and there are also designated cleaners of all sorts throughout the town when the can be bothered to get out)
I would agree though that things would need changing throughout the council and other organizations in Tredegar (and other areas!) to make things a cleaner place. It wouldn't go down too well either when the Eisteddfod takes place and it attracting visitors to the town area.

seanr: I believe they have changed the date to Thursdays now...

Edited by - Panda on 21/01/2009 22:43:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.