Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ | Guestbook
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Tredegar
 Photos and Video of Tredegar, Past and Present
 Classic Photo sent in by Titch - Info required !
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2009 :  19:01:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forum regular Titch has sent in what I can only say are some classic Photo's of the town and its people. A big thank you to Titch

The below is just one of the photo's which we would ask if anybody has any info on.

The Kentuck Minstrels

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2016 :  00:25:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Titch, Look what I found on the forum.
The Tredegar Kentucky Minstrels under the leadership of Mr. Ivor Jones, seated next to him is Mr. Tommy Davies of The Bush.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2016 :  00:18:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proceeds and donations from concerts given by the Tredegar Kentucky Minstrels were given to charity, Cancer Research & the miners from Bedwas Colliery who were badly burned during an explosion.
Mr. Ivor Tagg was the first conductor.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  01:04:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seated on the extreme left is Tom Walters, standing back row third from right is his youngest son John. I can remember my Grandfather showing me how he used to 'black up' with grease paint, it had a distinctive smell to it. I also have a memory of seeing them in St James's parish hall, which if my memory serves me correctly had a wooden parquet floor which was in a bit od a state at the time, it was loose and lifting in several places, must have been in the very early 50's. I must check out his diary as I'm sure there are references to various bookings for the Minstrels and the Merrymakers in it.
I remember the black and white stand / board with the T K M on it in my Grandfather's shed, wish I had kept it! As far as I recall it was made by him and painted by his Son Ken, they also made similar ones for the Accordion Band.

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2016 :  18:31:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks to Titch (and apologies for the time its taken to get the images on-line for all) for sending in the following:-

John Walters Welsh_Junior Accordian Champion

Tom and John Walters

Jimmy Preece

Jimmy Preece

Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2016 :  01:29:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few pages of my Grandfather's diary, (amongst some personal notes) there are some references to performance dates and venues of the Minstrels and the Merrymakers. Take a look in my Gallery!

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

Jep

24 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2016 :  20:31:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone got old photo of Jean Thomas' (Davies') accordion band? My cousin Maureen played the accordion and my sister played the piano in Jean's band. Be lovely to see a photo of them on this site.
Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2016 :  02:33:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have seen a copy of a programme for the Tredegar Kentucky Minstrels performing at the Lesser Hall, Bargoed on Thursday, March 31st, at 7.15 P.M. Cost Threepence.
Chairman; Mrs A WITHERS. Conductor; Mr. IVOR TAGG. Producer; Mr W.G. DAVIES.
Chairman; Mr. D. JONES. Vice-Chairman; Mr. REG EVANS. Accompanist; Miss STELLA BEEKS.
Secretary; Mr W.G. DAVIES, 46 Pochin Crescent, Tredegar.
Treasurer; Mr EMRYS JONES. Stage Manager;Mr. GEORGE Morris. Librarian; Mrs G. MORRIS.
PROGRAMME.
PART ONE. Interlocuter; Mr.W.G.DAVIES. Bumble; Mr ROLAND WEST.
Negro Spirituals. TROUPE. Duet; Mrs. OWENS, W.VINEY
Solo; ROSE O'CONNELL. Accordian Solo. GEORGE WALTERS.
Solo; BLODWEN MORGAN. Bones; MASTER DAVID TAGG.
Al Jolson; MASTER TERRY LANGFORD. Solo; MASTER TERRY WALTERS.
Dancers; MARGARET, MOIRA, SHIRLEY, PAT. Tenor Solo; RAY LARGO.
Impersonations; W. DAVIES.
The above is interspersed with comedy, cross talk, etc.
Part Two.
Solo; AMY SMITH. Solo; BLANCHE JONES.
Louis Armstrong; MASTER TERRY LANGFORD. Soloist; ROSE O'CONNELL.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.56 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.