New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:25:27  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
So today we've had a lot of snow here in Tredegar. Many schools were closed and my son who is the comprehensive was sent home at dinner time due to the weather. Was just wondering if the snow has affected you today and if anyone knows if the comprehensive school will be open tomorrow many thanks
Helen

seanr
Advanced Member

188 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:51:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hello,

i work in caerphilly, left work at 3pm, as i thought its better to be home early than be stuck in a traffic queue trying to get home

left work, roads were fine, snowing, but roads fine, soon as i get to the blaenau gwent border (just by pochin) the road was white, slippery and not good - why????

i was behind a gritter to just beyond hollybush

get to BG, and its like the third world - this happened the last time we had snow like this, about 2 years ago
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  18:55:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most of the schools were closed dinner time - Comp, Georgetown, Bryn-Bach. Looking at the weather outside now I would expect them all to be closed tomorrow.

Anybody know anymore, please update this thread....

Roads were bad in Tredegar from around 3:00pm.....
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  19:27:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The BBC are updating this page: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7865457.stm with school closures as they get them.

I've got a few days off work so today has just been fun for me but I'm supposed to be back in on Thursday when the forecast (on www.metcheck.com)is 'heavy snow' as opposed to today which is 'light snow!! Good job I have some holidays left as I think I may well not risk driving to Newport!
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  20:05:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll get to Scotland come hell or high snowfall!

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

SoTired
Advanced Member

150 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  20:19:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Valleys radio are the best to find out about the schools in the morning. If it is not on the presenters blog, they regularly announce school closures from about 7.30am onwards.

Hope this helps!
Go to Top of Page

Ellen

United Kingdom
128 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2009 :  23:31:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Most of the schools were closed dinner time - Comp, Georgetown, Bryn-Bach. Looking at the weather outside now I would expect them all to be closed tomorrow.

Anybody know anymore, please update this thread....

Roads were bad in Tredegar from around 3:00pm.....

Glanhowy, Comp and St Josephs closed today...Bryn Bach didn't though many parents picked their children up.....Valleys Radio or the BBC website is the best place for confirmation as to whether they are open in the morning

Edited by - Ellen on 02/02/2009 23:34:46
Go to Top of Page

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:27:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
just like to confirm that saint josephs and the comp are closed today i would imagine the other schools are as well
Go to Top of Page

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:35:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
does anyone know if Clarkes coaches will be running their bus to ebbw vale today?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:45:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryn Bach & the Deighton also closed.....

For phone numbers of the schools, please see:

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/schools.htm

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:46:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by helsbeth43

does anyone know if Clarkes coaches will be running their bus to ebbw vale today?

Doubt it. The heads of the valley road has a hazard warning. Looking at the road right now, very little movement.

More snow due in today...
Go to Top of Page

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:52:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
The bus doesn't go on the heads of the valleys it goes across the number 9 through morrisons to get to ebbw vale
Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  07:55:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to Edinburgh on the weekend for a Forum meetup and had to fly home at 8.30 am yesterday morning. When I first arrived at the airport every flight to England was being cancelled but Cardiff was ok, so you see there is a God after all hehe.

I was surprised to see Cardiff was clear of snow but as we travelled past Pontypridd the snow was just staring to get heavy so I got very lucky there.

Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  11:46:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All buses now called off the road apparently (I got the last E11 but even that was only going as far as The Crown before it was heading back to the depot).
Here's town (outside Aldi) at around 11am:

http://www.standerwick-images.com/03022009006.mp4

(not sure how to embed the file so posted a link - its just under 1mb)

Edited by - Samstan on 03/02/2009 11:57:15
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:23:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whats wrong with a little snow gosh the roads come to a stand still, schools close people stay home from work well well, isnt it odd as the same people can go shopping, go to the pub the kids go out and play and yet they cant go to work. The UK is just a joke when it comes to the weather be it snow, rain, heat. or even the fall when the leafs fall on the rail tracks. The rest of Europe dosent stop for there weather.

One good thing its taken peoples minds of the dredfull state of the country s and job problems.
O and the greed of the motor companys that want GOV backing cos they cant sell the mobile metal, strange all the same that today Ford & GM have put there prices UP 5%
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:38:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well from my POV if I wasn't on holiday until Thursday I wouldn't be driving 25miles each way to work on slippery roads it'd take hours. I can walk to the pub, I can't walk to work! Personally I think its great seeing people out playing in the snow with their kids.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:48:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
France got it bad... http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7817124.stm

Playing in the snow you say :o)

Go to Top of Page

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  14:25:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
its melting a lot now i would imagine the schools will be open tomorrow what do you guys think?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  14:27:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes melting fast right now. Will have to see if it freezes overnight.
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  16:15:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now snowing hard again!
Go to Top of Page

Hatty

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  17:53:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable - kids made a gigantic snowball earlier and left it in the middle of the main road in Vale Terrace. Even more remarkable - a Police jeep drove past at 5.20pm - slowed down to get around it and drove off again!!! Its now 5.50pm and its still there waiting for someone to crash into it.
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:27:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has there been many accidents yet on the roads? (only know of 1)
The town park looks awesome in the snow eh? http://www.flickr.com/photos/inyunyyn/3251244328/
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:30:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable ??? no not at all Iv seen our wonderfull police turn blind eyes to many things. Kids today have been riding around the roads on quad bikes and a couple on off road bikes. Police what POLICE ?
Go to Top of Page

helsbeth43

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  18:38:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see helsbeth43's MSN Messenger address  Reply with Quote
anybody know if the comp will be open tomorrow (my son hopes not) haha
Go to Top of Page

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  19:08:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by helsbeth43

anybody know if the comp will be open tomorrow (my son hopes not) haha

All the main roads to the comp seem clear now so I don't see why it should close. Best wait until the morning incase the weather turns again overnight =]
Go to Top of Page

Hatty

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  21:03:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Kenneth

I meant unbelievable in as much as what the kids were doing in the first place - rather than the actions of the Police - who are notorious for regularly driving off without doing anything. My friend was coming down Sirhowy hill earlier tonight and kids threw at least 6 snowballs at his car. The famous Police Jeep was behind him and when he pulled over - the jeep took over him and kept on going doing absolutley nothing as usual !! I believe there were in excess of 100 young people in town earlier - again throwing snowballs etc and "The Jeep" drove through and just kept on going - maybe it was too cold to get out of the warm cab!!!

In relation to the huge snowball incident I mentioned earlier - even the snow plough came past and also avoided it and and drove away. Maybe its a common occurance to have a 5 foot snowball in the middle of the road???!!! Weve moved it ourselves now as clearly no one else had any intention of doing so. I lost count how many vehicles drove around it - making them go on the wrong side of the road to avoid it. Amazed there was not a crash.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.