New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  12:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After discovering I have relatives in the Siloh gravegard, best I get my finger out and put some pictures on line.

To see more pictures of the Siloh graveyard, as well as other photo's of the Cemeterys in the town, please go here

Panda

United Kingdom
873 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  17:11:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have an approximate figure of how many were actually buried in this cemetery presuming it's not actually being in use these days?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  18:09:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trying to find out. My folk that were buried there were born in the 1860's....

Don't think its been used for a very long time looking at it......

Anybody know where to find the records ?
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  19:08:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On past experience, there could be a register(s)in the chapel, but you'll be lucky. Best speak to the minister and find out who keeps/kept chapel records. Some chapels were very meticulous and some not so.

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  20:13:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder who has just discarded those old headstone there.....they used to be up the top end by the burial site.

I think most of the writing on the stones was written in welsh.

Edited by - oldcefnlad on 18/02/2009 20:27:12
Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2009 :  23:50:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Off you go Pierre and photograph and transcibe all those headstones before they are lost forever.

Someone out there will be eternally grateful.

I know I was when someone did Didmarton Church in Gloucester,I had so much information from them.

Now if you want another job, how about Cefn Golau ? ( transcriptions of all headstones ) I must have some ancestors there!

Val

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2009 :  11:00:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In all seriousness, if we get the pics, I'll get them transcribed.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  21:01:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I've been down to the Siloh graveyard again, and unfortunately the stones are in such a bad condition that they cannon be read :o(

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2009 :  22:41:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is such a shame Pierre . The information on graves is invaluable, is it vandalism or just general detioration ? I wonder if someone transcribed all the info from them before they got in that state.

Val

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2009 :  18:36:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think its just a case of general Deterioration Val. I will continue on trying to get the register of the people that are buried on the site.

Come more pictures of Siloh chapel have also been uploaded to the gallery, and can be seen here

Go to Top of Page

goodwitchsilverwitch

United Kingdom
1848 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2016 :  02:02:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of years ago a man visited Tredegar library and said that he was going to remove and dispose the headstones, if anyone was interested they would have to act quickly as he required the field to be empty. The field was cleared and the stones were stacked around.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.52 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.