Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  10:41:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big thanks for Tony for sending in the info.

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  12:51:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry to be a pain - but where's the NCB club? (Postcode for the sat Nav will do!) Thanks
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:37:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

It's in the Circle.. in the middle of this picture...

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  18:04:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Im justs thinking ( a first for me) if the councillors and police have only been invited and then they dont turn up (like they never seem to, well maybe now and again if they have nothing better to do) then what good is it going to be/do ? Cos we can all talk till the cows go back into the fields but if theys no one there from the council/police nothing will get done mind nothin will prob be done if they are there.

Yep tis I the G.O.M yet again
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1094 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  23:31:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All you can do is try! If neither council representatives nor police show up, then surely that is adding fuel to the fire. It would be sufficient grounds to make a really big stink. They're not that daft are they..........?
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  08:29:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can try all you want it won't change a thing, if the council want to switch of lights ect...do it they will.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  10:29:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Street lights, well looking back on the forum Ken raised a question some 12 months ago on the topic!

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2032
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  10:31:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also more questions raised on street lights a few months back..

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  12:34:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WhaT good is it to turn the lights off at 12/12.30 when the drunken rabble are still to leave the pub or on there way back home ?? These louts are still on the streets and will have the darkness to carry out any crime they wish, co we havent got the police power to stop them. SO if the council wish to put us all in darkness shouldnt they also call for a total curfew at 12.00 and anyone one found still out on the streets to be shot. Some may think that my saying the last remark as going to far BUT are we not heading towards this kind of country anyway. Seems we are being watched tracked 24hrs a day ( apart from the lawless) and will not even be able to travel in and out of the country freely anymore.

Its about time the council/councillors, police, MPs got off there back sides got out into the real world where the real people live and stop putting money/cost before people and peoples needs.

Yep tis I the G.O.M. yet again.
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird34

Uzbekistan
26 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  19:22:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is actually organising this meeting, I would like to attend but if, as Kenneth said, this is just a big talking shop amongst ourselves is there any point. So what are the objectives?

As an aside, I would like to work out prior to this why the measures are being taken. Could someone provide a scan of the revenue/expenditure of the council for last year ( I threw mine away when I gasped in horror at having to pay nearly £2k!!!)

It would be interesting to see the split between staff costs and non staff costs based on an increase in council tax of nearly 5% and probable wage increases of 2.something %. So what other costs do they have that are increasing so rapidly.

Now I can probably cope if the refuse collection was done to increase recycling rates etc ( especially as BGBC are bottom of that league table as well!), but the other 2 seem to me to be basic services that should be the last to be cut..

So, does any one know the role of the 4-5 town centre managers and is their work more essential that these two services!!

Does anyone have any idea if BGBC has ever tried to achieve any cost saving initiatives based on productivity?

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  23:20:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluebird34

Who is actually organising this meeting...

The first notification the WebTeam received was via email:-

Click:- Tony Gregory Email

quote:
Could someone provide a scan of the revenue/expenditure of the council for last year

Someone has...

To see Blaenau Gwent Councils "Statement Of Accounts 2007/2008" please click the below:-

BGCBC - 2007-2008 Account Statement

It's 141 pages long.

Here is TTCs Audit for 2007/2008:-

(n.b. The signatories of this audit were blanked out by TTC, also, there is alot of 'white-out/tip-ex/liquid-paper' on Page 2.)

quote:
( I threw mine away when I gasped in horror at having to pay nearly £2k!!!)

And that would achieve less than any 'talking shop'.

Edited by - aussiewelshman on 17/03/2009 11:41:55
Go to Top of Page

Bluebird34

Uzbekistan
26 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  07:56:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The linky no worky
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  08:16:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluebird34

The linky no worky

Linky no worky?

Sorry.

I blame forum codey.

Try thisy...

http://www.blaenau-gwent.gov.uk/documents/Documents_Resources/Statement_of_Accounts_2007_2008.pdf
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  11:02:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WRONG TONY

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  11:44:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tarkus

WRONG TONY

Ahhh sh*t!

Thanks Ed, should all be fixed now.

Could you hand me my coat please?

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  11:54:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2009 :  12:06:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thought you were gonna tell me I'm on the wrong forum.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2009 :  16:13:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notes from last nights meeting 20-03-2009 at the NCB club, Tredegar……

The meeting was called by residence of the Cefn-Golau residence association, and the chairman was Tony Gregory (not to be confused with the other Tony Gregory who stood as an independent in the May 2007 election).

Diane Bennet and Julia Curry from the Cefn-Golau residence association were also on the top table with Tony Gregory.

Not a bad attendance, but could have been better. Unfortunately the one thing that I’ve found about this town (maybe its everywhere these days?) is crippling apathy. A lot of people complain about the council tax we pay and the services we get (or do not get), but when you ask them to come and see if we can turn up as a community and see when solutions we can come up with, they loose interest.

The police were also invited by Tony, and they said that they would be attending, but failed to show up?

Tony made it clear from the start that it was a public meeting and was not attending for it to become political. He also said that he was talking as a person from the residence association, and not as a member of Tredegar Town Council (a wise thing to point out in my opinion).

Several very good points were made by local residence that included question and comments on:-

• A person from the Hospice of the valley pointed out that their staff do night visits to people homes and carry drugs with them. With no street lighting this was a very big concern.

• Increased cost by shops in town for re-cycling.

• Concern over bi-weekly rubbish collection, where examples were given where it has been implemented in other local councils (Newport City Council was given as an example) and where it has caused smell and issues with save passage on pavements as well as unruly behaviour by youths with the bins.

• Examples were raised where Sheep and other animals are a real concern in Tredegar.

I myself raised the following point’s/questions.

• Tredegar residents pay the most council tax in Wales!

• Per head, we get the most funding from the Welsh Assembly.

• Tredegar Town Council and Blaenau Gwent Council have massive amounts is reserve, why not use this money?

• Every time I go over to Ebbw-Vale that are digging up and re-laying the main shopping area, where is all this money coming from?

• Blaenau-Gwent is simply too small. They need to merge with a larger Council to survive. Revert back to how it was before the old Gwent County Council was abolished in around 1974.

Jason Owen kindly attended the meeting (and thanks from all of us for that), and was the only independent Councillor at the meeting. Several Labour Councillors were at the meeting.

The decision was made to hold another public meeting on the 2nd April, and this time representatives from Blaenau-Gwent Council will be asked to attend.

My Own Comments on the Evening.

Big thanks to Tony and all involved in organising the meeting.

As the evening progressed it become clean that the Labour councillors were using the situation to say more or less “You did not have this trouble when we were in power! We tried to tell them, but they would not listen”. They every handed out stuff which some might call propaganda.

Labour would call the council over, and then actions were defended by Jason Owen.

Completely Pointless to carry on with this behaviour. Wish they would keep to the purpose of the meeting.

The next meeting could turn into a big bun fight between labour and the independent councillors in the Blaenau-Gwent Council.

I’m sure that the people of the town who will be in attendance (along with the chairman) will not allow this to happen
Go to Top of Page

Cameraman
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
368 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  12:41:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....and don't forget......

...the next meeting is this Thursday (April 2nd).......

....same time.......same place.......

(unless something's changed that I don't know about....)
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  15:15:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OH and I will try and be there again (although I'm not sure it'll achieve much as the budget is already set for this year and bills issued etc).
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  17:08:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Questions

1 Will it keep our lighting on.

2 will it stop all the off road bikes.

3 Will it stop all the late night drunks off our streets.

4 Will it stop all the pavement parking.

5 will it stop the littering.

6 Will it stop the yobs from hanging around the town day and night.

7 Will it clean up our mud verges.

8 will it help our shops stay open.

9 Will it open new shops.

10 will it help the drug problems.

11 Will it help get our council tax down.

12 will it really make our town a better place.

If the answer is yes to all of the above and more then I might just come to the meeting providing I get the same security as Ms JS.

Sadly as i think the idea of these meetings are a good thing they never seem to get done what we the people want.

AND

I would like to thank the people that do go to put points forward on behalf of the rest of us unable to attend. THANK YOU.

Yes tis me yet again its that G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:33:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cameraman

....and don't forget......

...the next meeting is this Thursday (April 2nd).......

....same time.......same place.......

(unless something's changed that I don't know about....)

Theres been a problem of some kind so the date has yet to be decided

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  18:57:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The heat in the kitchen is to hot

G.O.M. again
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:16:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

Questions

1 Will it keep our lighting on.

2 will it stop all the off road bikes.

3 Will it stop all the late night drunks off our streets.

4 Will it stop all the pavement parking.

5 will it stop the littering.

6 Will it stop the yobs from hanging around the town day and night.

7 Will it clean up our mud verges.

8 will it help our shops stay open.

9 Will it open new shops.

10 will it help the drug problems.

11 Will it help get our council tax down.

12 will it really make our town a better place.

If the answer is yes to all of the above and more then I might just come to the meeting providing I get the same security as Ms JS.

Sadly as i think the idea of these meetings are a good thing they never seem to get done what we the people want.

AND

I would like to thank the people that do go to put points forward on behalf of the rest of us unable to attend. THANK YOU.

Yes tis me yet again its that G.O.M.

Its easy enough to come on the internet and moan but unless we, as a community, are willing to stand up and be counted as a community then nothing will get done as it looks like its only a small minority who actually care. This isn't just aimed at Kenneth but all of us who live in the town. We have an opportunity to show the politicians that we do care and we won't just lie down and be walked all over. It may not make a difference this year to the Council Tax but just maybe it'll make them stop and think next year, or maybe make them reassess their priorities in the coming year. The point is its easy to sit at home and complain and its easy for them to ignore us when we do. In a room, face to face, its harder to ignore us and if enough people attend then it puts pressure on both the County and Town councils to actually listen to the people who elected them. Is a couple of hours out of our lives really too much to give to try and get the town we want?!

Kenneth, if the reason for not attending is that you are worried about your safety after dark then my husband and I will be more than willing to pick you up and take you to the meeting with us and then drop you home afterwards.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13891 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2009 :  21:40:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just to confirm, I have just received the following info:-

I have been asked by Tony Gregory to let you know that the meeting proposed to take place on April 2nd regarding the switching off of the street lights and the fortnightly refuse collection is unable to go ahead. Tony would like to assure people that it will be held as soon as possible but he is waiting to receive notification from the Council regarding a suitable date.

Thanks to the people who passed on the info. Can everybody please let everybody know that has not got Internet access, that would be a great help,

Pierre
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2009 :  15:09:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The G.O.M. would like to thank samstan for the kind offer, thank you. Going out at night is not the only thing I dislike but the idea of sitting in at another meeting dose little for me. Over many years I have been to to many meeting's (prob more than most on here) thet are (a) talking shops (b) not much more than hot air (c)a meeting people to air there concerns to the councillors,council, police whom ever they take the comments on board (so they tell us) and nothing comes of it. So I realy have little to no time anymore for them, but your all welcome to keep trying.

I have had many private meetings with all of the above and they all go away saying this and that will be done, but they never say when and what year.

So thank you for the offer once again but I think I will just keep on moaning on here for the members who have the same probs can see they are not alone.

OOOOOOOOOOO yes the G.O.M strikes again
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.54 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.