"Harold the Pipe"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daizulu

South Africa
61 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  13:17:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone remember simple Harold! He used to walk about Tred, particually around the clock area stuttering all sorts of things and "smoking" an empty pipe. My Dad used to smoke a pipe in those days and every time Harlod saw my Dad he asked for a pipe full of tobacco.

Dad being Dad never said no and used to offer Harold his pouch. As soon as Harold got the pouch he used to swop his small pipe for a much larger one to fill. So much for "simple Harold"!!

One weekend after some heavy Bow drinking, one of the boys (nameless) sent Harold over to the betting shop to "collect his winnings". Since Harold had a very poor memory and stuttered, the boys "kindly" wrote a note for him to hand over to the teller. The boys told Harlod to hand the note over to the teller but he must hold his pipe inside his coat pocket and point it at the teller!!

I'm sure you can guess what happened next.

Harold done exactly what he was told, within two or three minutes of the bookies alarm going off the place was infested with blue uniforms!!

The note read as following:

" This is a hold up, if you don't want your head blown off give me all your money now"

Of course Harold was known to the police as being harmless, therefore someone must have been behind it.

We were still enjoying our Bow at the NCB when all of a sudden a mass of blue uniforms burst through the doors and headed for our table. Mayhem ensued, we all ran in different directions trying to escape the police. No good, we were bu**ered!

We all spent several hours down at the cop shop. Finally we were released with a caution

Whilst we were being detained for questioning, guess what "simple Harold was doing?

Yep, his was at the NCB finishing off our Bow!!!!

Justice was served!!!!!

Cheers

daizulu

Edited by - daizulu on 13/03/2009 13:18:37

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  14:47:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldman told me about that story. How old are you Dai, my oldman just turned 60.
Go to Top of Page

daizulu

South Africa
61 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  15:01:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Morris1975,

Morris, Morris, Morris you should know better than to ask a lady her age!! shame on you

Who was your Dad and perhaps I can answer your question

Cheers Daizulu

Go to Top of Page

morris1975

United Kingdom
1286 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  15:19:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barrie Morris (bucket)
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2009 :  18:38:01 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harold Vaughn

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2009 :  19:52:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember Harold Vaughn well. We attended Earl St school at the same time in the 1930's. Harold didn't move from class to class annually as other boys did but,(to the best of my recollection) stayed in "standard " two with "Dai" Perry as the teacher. When the teacher was talking Harold always seemed very attentive but when we were required to write things Harold spent his time scribbling, page after page. He seemed to have a perpetual smile and I never saw him bullied or be-littled in any way. He was very slight and most inoffensive. After our school years I saw him from time in town and it seems to me he always wore a light brown raincoat. If alive today I think he would be well into his eighties.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

daizulu

South Africa
61 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2009 :  11:30:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Morris1975,

Ask your Dad if remembers my brother JEFF, he used go drinking at:

THE CAM, NCB, TA, CASTLE, RED, BUSH depending what time of day it was!!

Cheers

Daizulu
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.