New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  15:23:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"i thought this was a serious page in which opinions and thoughts could be aired, obviously not!!!!"

ooooooooooooooooooooooooops

reminds me of a time when i was told "it's good to have a sense of humour even when things look as they can't get worse"

G.O.L. = grumpy old lady hehe

They deliverd the new sacks to all the houses ariund us but they didnt want to drop any in for the grumps so we have not any. And yes they wont last five mins soon as the birds, cats, and yobs get to them. O well more work for the litter pickers.

The plastic boxes are quite good for storing the small gardening tools in. The cost? well we have allready paid for them in the council tax rise, and making them gave a few people a job plus a nice profit for the company that made them.

Its a bit like the shopping bags thing the Tesco/Asda bags were good for rubbish but hey must stop them not good for the enviroment yea yea, NOW we have to go out and buy plastic bags to put the rubbish in so where is the saving? O silly me Tesco/Asda make even more money saving it on carry bags, profit on small bin bags they sell.

Hope thats serious thoughts on this subject.

From the G.O.M. once again getting down grumpy again. ho hum

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  15:31:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth

G.O.L. = grumpy old lady hehe

Perhaps this would be a more appropriate signature icon then Mate...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Whaddaya think Kenneth?
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2009 :  16:12:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
O what, fun I like it but think I will stick with Mr wobbly I took the G.O.Ls rolling pin away from her she was going to use it on the bin man.

Just another from the G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2009 :  21:26:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well more people had the new re-cycling bags delivered today.

along with a leaflet letting "what" to put "where".

I notice that there is a bottle with a safeways label on it.
Question for 2 points, where in Blaenau-Gwent will you find a Safeways?

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2009 :  12:54:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recycling Made Easy
Source - WalesOnLine

RECYCLING in Blaenau Gwent is set to become even easier as mixed recycling and same day collections come to the borough.

Changes in the weekly kerbside recycling service start on Monday, July 6, when from that date glass, cans, tins, foil and plastic bottles are to be put in a blue sack and paper and cardboard in a clear sack provided by the council.
Food waste will be stored in the kitchen caddies already provided and all this will now be picked up on the same day as the usual refuse collection.
Blaenau Gwent Council’s Executive Member for the Environment, Councillor Keith Barnes, said: “Recycling targets are set by the Welsh Assembly Government for all Welsh councils and heavy fines from Europe for those authorities who don’t meet these targets mean it is more important than ever that we recycle as much as possible.
“We don’t want to be facing these hefty fines, so we need Morgan and Kenneths help to hit targets and stay penalty free.
“Our recycling rates are steadily improving especially with the addition of cardboard and food waste recycling at the end of last year.
“Now, with co-mingled recycling and same day collections, it is easy to take part and do your bit to help the environment.”
If you have any questions about recycling or your refuse collection day phone the council’s contact centre C2BG on 01495 311556.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  22:15:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaenau Gwent To Get Wheelie Bins
Source - South Wales Argus

A VALLEYS council is set to introduce wheelie bins in the borough, at a cost of more than £500,000.

The plan by Blaenau Gwent Council is part of its drive to revolutionise waste collection.
Each council in Wales has to reduce the amount of waste put into landfill and to achieve this, Blaenau Gwent has put into place a number of measures. These include plastic, cardboard and food waste recycling among other things.
Following the success of the recycling schemes, the next phase is to roll out the wheelie bins.
The idea behind the bins is to reduce the problems associated with manual handling through collecting black bags and it will mean bags are no longer left out on the street where they are exposed to animals.
The bins come in three sizes - 120 litres, 240 litres and 360 litres and will cost the council £16.70, £18.25 and £38 each to buy.
Most households will be entitled to the 240 litre size, which holds 3-4 black bags.
People living alone will receive the 120 litre bin and large families the 360 litre bin.
In total 29,000 bins will be bought at a cost of £551,150, which will be paid for by the council borrowing the funds.
One the scheme is fully rolled out in the borough in the Autumn, the plan is then to reduce non-recyclable waste collection to once a fortnight and therefore encouraging people to recycle more.
The money borrowed will be repaid by savings made by downsizing the existing collection service.
The proposal, which is due to be rubber-stamped by the executive committee tomorrow afternoon, follows a successful pilot scheme run in Beaufort and Brynmawr.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  22:17:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The money borrowed will be repaid by savings made by downsizing the existing collection service.

Get ready for it folks.....

Come the next bit of hot weather, you will not be able to walk close to the "new bins" because of the flys.....
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  23:20:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps BGC should send out the below as well.

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2009 :  23:29:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have they considered for example a row of Terrace Houses with no frontage, are they expected to keep the Wheelie on the pavement 7/7 or why not keep it in the passage at the bottom of the stairs????? being your average street
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  06:49:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Newport we had to keep them on the pavement. It created a whole new sport for the little ****'s who'd run down the road knocking as many bins over as possible. I know from personal experience the dint the corner of a wheelie bin makes on the wing of a car :(

So what happened to the discussion meeting that was planned? I went to the first one and there was supposed to be a follow up but the Council pulled out saying they were going to organise meetings in all the towns across the County. So suddenly fortnightly collections and street lights being switched off is fait accompli and no discussions! Stinks as much as the bins will!!
Go to Top of Page

sean

1117 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2009 :  23:25:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8149151.stm

will probably inspire some peopleto be stupid.

regards

sean
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2009 :  10:26:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaenau-Gwent Council are now knocking doors (currently in the Georgetown area), asking if people want Wheelie Bins.

Looks like the fortnightly collection will start in MARCH 2010
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2009 :  21:58:55 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had this through the door today....

Gulp...

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2009 :  12:29:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And where do we keep these bins? How do thay expect OAPs to cope with these bins?

And another case you do this or were going to charge YOU more.

Guess what they will charge us more anyway.

The scrap food bin they wont empty it ( ask the G.O.L. shes tamping) if its in a plastic bag so as she was told wrap it in news paper (we dont have one cant aford it) or to buy degradable bags, again more cost.

Well we have news for the council, stuff your recycle it can go in land fill.

Has anyone noticed after bin collection day how many blue/white bags they leave behind?

The G.O.M. comments on behalf of the G.O.L.

Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

330 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  16:39:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello All,

the other day, while out for a blissful drive in the estate, I got thinking about these fortnightly bin collections in blaenau-Gwent and how this might be a plan b opportunity for somebody.

You see, the folks in charge, want to do less bin collections and are forcing that on an unwilling public who do not like the idea at all.

Surely, there is an opportunity for somebody, to buy a bin lorry, and do bin rounds on the alternate weeks when the council will not collect, and simply pay the tipping fees for tipping the lorry at the local tip, and charge the subscribers to the service for the bin collections - could be done ad hoc cash in hand or by direct debit, and with an internet order form linked to a gps in the truck ?

The idea could be ramped up to include anything that the councils are refusing to take.

Simple.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  18:08:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ummmmmmmm gatekeeper then we will be paying twice and then you could bet the council would say we will stop our collection as you allready have one.

I think its asking for trouble.

Buy Hey Im just the G.O.M.

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  21:54:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone help me out with a few answers to a few simple questions.Now i may seam to be a bit stupid and i know that the council are doing this to save money[don't agree with it] so,the bin men are collecting once a week now so when it changes to fortnightly to me that means they work every other week so does that mean that in a month they only get paid for two weeks instead of four?[if you worked in a factory and you only worked two weeks out of four,you would only be paid for the two you worked]if they are getting paid for four weeks work, what are they doing for the other two weeks?also if the work is halved so should the binmen-half the work,half the workforce.I only ask because i haven't heard of any layoffs in the council.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  00:02:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't see the problem with the wheelie bins or the fortnightly collections, the recycling collections will still be operating on a weekly basis. So if you don't want a wheelie bin full of stinking rubbish hanging around for two weeks at a time, RECYCLE!
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  00:13:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do recycle every flipping week-food in green bucket,blue bags and clear ones.I only asked a question!The way things are going how long before this goes fortnightly as well?
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2434 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  01:00:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
maybe monthly so they can pay themselves more! and save money by shutting off more street lights
what about flooding our valley and we would have nothing to moan about!realy should not use computer when i return from the pub good night tredegar see you in the morning,- god willing
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  01:00:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheelie bins might be ok for you folk-in-hell but for some people it's not so easy,like people who have no back entrance and no front gardens-like Georgetown-what do they do?They can't keep the bins out the front on the street as within a hour some 'nice kid'would have run off with it and they can't have them out the back as they would have to wheel the bin through the house once a fortnight[not nice] at least with a bag they can just pick it up and carry it through with minimum fuss also if you have steps front and back.It's not that easy for some.Also in our council tax we pay for refuse collection,now we are having less service do we pay less?Ican tell you now that you wouldn't pay say £1 for 2pints of milk one week and then the next week it's now £1 for 1pint you would tell them too stuff it!
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  02:26:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay16

Wheelie bins might be ok for you folk-in-hell but for some people it's not so easy,like people who have no back entrance and no front gardens-like Georgetown-what do they do?They can't keep the bins out the front on the street as within a hour some 'nice kid'would have run off with it and they can't have them out the back as they would have to wheel the bin through the house once a fortnight[not nice] at least with a bag they can just pick it up and carry it through with minimum fuss also if you have steps front and back.It's not that easy for some.

As I understand it the wheelie bins are not mandatory, you are able to opt out of having one. Also, again as I understand it, you don't have to keep the bins out on the street, wheel the bins through the house or carry them up steps on collection day, they can be left somewhere safe and the bags can be put out as normal.

quote:
Also in our council tax we pay for refuse collection,now we are having less service do we pay less?Ican tell you now that you wouldn't pay say £1 for 2pints of milk one week and then the next week it's now £1 for 1pint you would tell them too stuff it!

But we're not having less service, the recycling collections are still continuing every week. If you use this weekly service for your glass, plastic, tin, paper, card and food waste then the amount of waste you have that needs to go to landfill will be significantly reduced and would only need to be collected about once a fortnight.

Being able to pile all your rubbish in one bin and putting as many bags of your waste as you want into a big lorry that dumps it into a big hole in Cwm along with everyone elses rubbish is not a right its just laziness.

I'd also like to bring this link to peoples attention http://www.edie.net/news/news_story.asp?id=16931

Quote from the link:

quote:
"The idea we can simply bury waste in the ground and leave it rot is from another era, to protect this beautiful country for future generations we need to recycle as much as possible.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  10:32:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
wheel the bins through the house or carry them up steps on collection day

Not an option sadly if you’re elderly, or have a house with many steps.

quote:
But we're not having less service

So if they change the bus service from every 2 hours into town to once a day, are you saying we have the same service ???????

Even when you re-cycle everything you can, getting the reminding rubbish collected every two week can be an issue for some families, and these are the families that pay the most rates in Wales !
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  11:05:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

quote:
wheel the bins through the house or carry them up steps on collection day

Not an option sadly if you’re elderly, or have a house with many steps.

If you are going to quote me please quote me within context.

What I wrote was:

quote:
Also, again as I understand it, you don't have to keep the bins out on the street, wheel the bins through the house or carry them up steps on collection day, they can be left somewhere safe and the bags can be put out as normal.

I have added some emphasis.

quote:
But we're not having less service

quote:

So if they change the bus service from every 2 hours into town to once a day, are you saying we have the same service ???????

Even when you re-cycle everything you can, getting the reminding rubbish collected every two week can be an issue for some families, and these are the families that pay the most rates in Wales !

If you are recycling ALL your glass, plastic, tin, paper, cardboard and food waste EVERY WEEK how much more waste can you be generating that would require a weekly collection for landfill waste?

I take it you looked at the link I posted which points out that all local authorities in Wales and the UK have to reduce the amount of waste that is sent to landfill by another 30% by 2015 by law, failure to do so will result in hefty fines for the offending authorities. There are also landfill taxes payable by Local Authorities at around £30 per tonne of waste.

So if Blaenau Gwent CBC get fined because some people are unwilling to alter their habits from putting all their waste in one bin to recycling their waste obviously the fines will be passed onto the ratepayers. Why should the people, like myself, who recycle the majority of their waste have to foot the bill for people who are unwilling/too lazy to stop sending all their waste to landfill sites?

As I said in my previous post being able to send all your waste once a week to a landfill site is not a right.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  13:01:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll take a photo of my elderly relatives for you tying to carry their full bins down their front steps.

Add some emphasis to that...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.4 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.