New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  13:21:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

I'll take a photo of my elderly relatives for you tying to carry their full bins down their front steps.

Add some emphasis to that...

Have you actually read what I've written? They don't need to carry full bins up or down any steps they can still just put their bags out to be collected.

And if your elderly relatives recycle their waste they'll have less to carry up and down their steps every fortnight.

I know its difficult to get off a high horse when your on one but you need to look at the bigger picture here. Sending all our waste to landfills isn't sustainable, the amount of waste sent to landfill has to be reduced by law and more people need to recycle their biodegradable waste. The council's strategy for tackling these issues may not be perfect but its a damn sight better than ignoring it and carrying on as we have been doing just because the proverbial old lady may struggle with her bins.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  13:58:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well lets see what happens. Watch the old Gwent Gazette pages early next year.

OK, the council do need to do something on waste. Do they recycle all the rubbish that they collect out of the street bins where possible?

Do the re-cycling trucks they use run on electric ?

Carbon emissions from the street light. MMmmmm the street lights..

However, some do say (like MPs's on the link below) there is:
"No evidence that fortnightly collection reuse waste"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6898050.stm

Interesting times ahead indeed.
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:28:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its people with the mind set like fork in hell that the ******* in the council count on and say "see people really want us to do these things" well Iv news for them WE DONT and with luck they wont be in council much longer and then we can (maybe) get some people in the council that are real and live in the frel world.

f*** in hell some of thes do gooders with ther im all right jack do my head in.

The G.O.M says lets have a propper 2009 service that we pay for not 1909.

THINK PEOPLE NOT ££££S.

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:29:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if all we need to do,as you have just posted is but the black bags out and not the wheelie bin,WHY THE HELL ARE THE COUNCIL WASTING MONEY ON GIVING US BINS!!!
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  14:35:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kay and other saine minded people on here, I think this fork in hell is just one of the people we have had on here before intent on being less then reasonable, after all just look at there chosen name.

The G.O.M. with still just a little of the grey matter.

Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:20:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Well lets see what happens. Watch the old Gwent Gazette pages early next year.

OK, the council do need to do something on waste. Do they recycle all the rubbish that they collect out of the street bins where possible?

Do the re-cycling trucks they use run on electric ?

Carbon emissions from the street light. MMmmmm the street lights..

However, some do say (like MPs's on the link below) there is:
"No evidence that fortnightly collection reuse waste"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/politics/6898050.stm

Interesting times ahead indeed.

There are two glaring differences in your link between the situation in Blaenau Gwent and the issues raised in the report.

i) "The MPs' report follows criticism of "alternate week collections"... which see recycling taken one week, and other household waste collected the next."

The recycling collection in BG will remain weekly so the problems associated with alternate collections are shouldn't be relevant as long as people take 2 minutes of their time to sort their waste for recycling.

ii) "It said fortnightly collections were not appropriate for inner cities"

BG is not exactly near to a city never mind inner city.

As regards your other points, I don't know if BGCBC sorts and recycles waste from street but I hope that they introduce recycling bins like many other towns have to make sure as much refuse is recycled as possible. No doubt some on these forums would moan about them though.

The recycling trucks obviously don't run on electric the UK at the moment doesn't have the infrastructure, at the moment, to run electric cars never mind a fleet of electric powered recycling trucks. The benefits of recycling though are believed to be equivalent to taking 3.5 million cars of the road.

I won't comment on the street lights because that is a separate issue to the one being discussed on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:34:51 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOM

Its people with the mind set like fork in hell that the ******* in the council count on and say "see people really want us to do these things"

I would say the majority of people want a sustainable future which doesn't include filling the ground up with all our waste. Recycling is the future whether you like it or not.

quote:
well Iv news for them WE DONT and with luck they wont be in council much longer and then we can (maybe) get some people in the council that are real and live in the frel world.

Are you using the royal WE there?

quote:

f*** in hell some of thes do gooders with ther im all right jack do my head in.

You said previously in this thread, "Well we have news for the council, stuff your recycle it can go in land fill."

That sounds like an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude, an attitude that says to me that your too lazy to simply separate your waste into recycling, an attitude of 'I don't care what happens to world in the future because I'm alright right now'.

And I was always taught that doing good was a valuable trait to have as a human being.

Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:38:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay16

So if all we need to do,as you have just posted is but the black bags out and not the wheelie bin,WHY THE HELL ARE THE COUNCIL WASTING MONEY ON GIVING US BINS!!!

You don't have to have a bin either, if you don't want one inform the council that you would rather not have one.

Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:48:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry you have NO idea the problems we have had with recycling with what thet wont take.

My wife even goes to to the limit of recycling oxo cube wrappings.

I guess i could be wrong but your sounding like another doogoo council wantabee im saving the planet.

Well Iv now go to the point now after having this rammed down our necks and still having the rates go up lights go off, that I dont care much weather the planet goes on after me or not, with the way the worlds going and the way kids (most of them) treat older people with all there ASB they dont deserve a planet to live on.

Now I know that will upset some of you and some might agree but havent the nerve to say it well-------

The G.O.M. just has.

Go to Top of Page

gatekeeper

330 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  16:51:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fih

1. change your name - its rude - see below
2. get a horse to collect the stuff like they used to. is that ok?
3. we pay 130 quid a month in rent - they can sort it out. it goes in the same hole in the ground anyway.
4. can you get me a job on the council please?
5. will they change this "bin" like the last one in a few months.
6. i'm still looking for a job on the council. can you help ?
7. do they need 3 vans to collect the stuff. i watch them every week. thats a lot of tesco fuel.
8. its an excuse to tax more and deliver less.
9. can you get me a job on the council?
10. goto 1. repeat.

fork in hell - best change your name to "fork in smell" after the collection goes to one in every two weeks..

Edited by - gatekeeper on 28/10/2009 16:56:42
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  17:10:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well that is strange because i was talking to a councilor a few months ago,when all this talk about wheelie bins first started,and was told that everyone had to have one,you would have to have a very good reason not to have one.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  17:29:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatekeeper

fih

1. change your name - its rude - see below
2. get a horse to collect the stuff like they used to. is that ok?
3. we pay 130 quid a month in rent - they can sort it out. it goes in the same hole in the ground anyway.
4. can you get me a job on the council please?
5. will they change this "bin" like the last one in a few months.
6. i'm still looking for a job on the council. can you help ?
7. do they need 3 vans to collect the stuff. i watch them every week. thats a lot of tesco fuel.
8. its an excuse to tax more and deliver less.
9. can you get me a job on the council?
10. goto 1. repeat.

fork in hell - best change your name to "fork in smell" after the collection goes to one in every two weeks..

1. No its not
2. No its a ridiculous idea.
3. I don't really care if you pay £130 or £13000 in rent you are creating your waste, take some responsibility and sort it out yourself. Or do you want someone to come around your house and wipe your backside for you when you've been to the toilet? And it doesn't go to the same hole in the ground for the reasons I've pointed out lots of times in my previous posts, because its LAW that landfill waste has to be reduced.
4. Nope I don't work for nor am I associated with Council, go to their website and check if they have vacancies. Or do you want me to do it for you because you pay £130 in rent?
5. I have no idea.
6. See 4.
7. I would think that yes it is necessary otherwise it would be pretty pointless separating your waste every week just for them to throw it all into the same truck.
8. I disagree, it encourages recycling. The service hasn't been reduced just the way its delivered has altered.
9. Again see 4.
10. See 1.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  17:32:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GOM

Sorry you have NO idea the problems we have had with recycling with what thet wont take.

We've been using all the recycling services with no problem since day one. Perhaps you're doing it wrong?
Go to Top of Page

GOM

United Kingdom
3786 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  18:04:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To the person with a the rude name we (you can think that the royal we if you like) all know what your trying to make it look like.

Get a life get in the real world. Who the hell do you think you are and I thought I had an attitude. Whats more its a good job the G.O.L dosent get a hold on you.

Gosh the G.O.M. has never been so rude to anyone like this before maybe its the all down to F.I.H. awwwwwww yes got it now its halloween week well I say to JAKE (another name for the devil) go forth and multiply.

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  19:58:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you'll find that in most cases we don't make all our own waste,it's the firms that package the items you buy and the supermarkets that create most of our waste with over packing.So if you need to get on your high horse i suggest you start with them first.As the saying goes LESS PACKAGING LESS WASTE BETTER FOR THE PLANET and like i said before i do my bit i recycle just about all that i can,i just think that we are paying for weekly collections in our council tax so we should get the service that we are paying for,if not reduce our council tax!
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  18:21:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fork_in_Hell - we recycle, paper, cardboard, tins & plastic. All vegetable food waste goes in our compost bin to go on our garden as we grow our own veggies. We still produce a couple of black bags of rubbish a week due to the items that can't be recycled (certain plastic types for example) and used cat litter. I do not appreciate your sanctimonious lecture. I now will have a stinky bin by my back door (and even washing the bin out 2 week old cat **** will stink in the summer) or I can drive to the tip at a weekend once a fortnight - that costs me money and isn't exactly an environmentally friendly option. Perhaps you think I should take the bags on the bus! And I'm in the fortunate position to do this unlike many people. I hope you're ready for the increased fly tipping, rat population, flies and a general stink from bins left on the street in the summer because that's what we have coming.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  05:40:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just How Easy Is It To Recycle?
Source - South Wales Argus

BLAENAU Gwent Council is staring down the barrel of more than £3 million in fines in the next five years unless they can bring their recycling figures up to scratch.

With new targets from the Assembly coming for 2009/10, the council is way off the 40 percent recycling target for the Landfill Allowance Scheme (LAS).
Any waste sent to landfill over this is punished with a £200 per tonne fine in a bid to make councils as eco-friendly as possible and reducing the amount of rubbish sent to rapidly-filling landfill sites.
The council recycled 26.69 percent or ?? of its waste in the first quarter of 2009/10. Neighbouring Caerphilly council recycled 39.32 percent, or 10,066 tonnes from a possible 25,597, over the same period.
Projections by the council’s corporate director of the environment, Gary Samuel, show the council will send 1,075 tonnes more to landfill than they are allowed next year.
This will get steadily worse until estimates suggest by 2014, the council will be 4,606 tonnes over its target for that year.
By this time, it will have sent 16,573 tonnes to landfill over its allowance, resulting in fines totalling £3,314,600.
To stop this happening, the council sent officers to knock on doors throughout the borough, telling about the forthcoming switch to fortnightly rubbish collections.
As reported in the Argus, the council is introducing wheelie bins throughout the borough at a cost of £551,150 following a trial scheme in Beaufort and Brynmawr.
This will coincide with the move to fortnightly bin collections, starting early next year.
A Blaenau Gwent spokeswoman said: "The wheeled bins and our improved recycling service should help us to greatly reduce the amount of waste we send to landfill - and prevent avoidable increases in waste disposal costs."
People from the council’s waste and recycling team are also going to more PACT, community and town council meetings to tell people about the change.
An advertising campaign is also being run to highlight the issue.
Caerphilly council also recycled the highest amount of waste across Gwent in 2008/09.
Figures from the Environment Agency Wales show the authority recycled and composted 22,643 tonnes compared with Blaenau Gwent’s 5,341 tonnes.
LAS limits the amount of biodegradable waste such as paper, cardboard and food councils are allowed to send to landfill.
It was brought in by the Assembly as a way of enforcing the importance of recycling to local authorities.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:50:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think this ^^ backs up what I've been saying.

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  14:28:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the person that sent in the information below regarding layoffs in Blaenau Gwent Council due the change in rubbish collections.

Well yes 2 lorries being taken off the road 6 man are being layed off
3 per lorry. The knock on effect of this is that with less lorries
then you need less fitters to repair them, so another 3 men lost. And
that is just the start with the amount of money to be save from next
years budget then we can expect more lay offs. It does not matter which
part is in power these cuts will still be made.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2009 :  19:16:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info sent to all from Blaenau Gwent Council.

Go to Top of Page

Webteam
Webteam

23569 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2009 :  18:11:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Three boroughs to start waste plan talks
Source: South Wales Argos

TORFAEN cabinet members are set to discuss a joint project with Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly to tackle waste management.

A report which will go before tomorrow’s cabinet meeting details the latest Assembly targets, for recycling and the strategy through which the council hopes to achieve them.

Since 2006 Torfaen council has been working with counterparts at Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly councils, to develop a centre to treat organic waste in the boroughs.

The report identifies three sites which could be used for the food and green waste treatment facility - Waun y Pound in Ebbw Vale, land at Silent Valley Landfill in Cwm and land at Heads of the Valley, with Silent Valley highlighted as the most suitable site.

It would deal with 17 per cent of the total waste for the three areas by 2020, including 22,000 tonnes of food waste and 15,000 tonnes of green waste a year.

The report states anaerobic digestion (breaking down waster in an airless environment) and windrow (piling organic matter to rot down in the open air) were the two most viable options for the waste management strategy.

Blaenau Gwent, Caerphilly and Torfaen councils will enter into a joint working agreement for the project and form a committee to take decisions as plans are formed.

Once plans are complete companies will bid for a contract to run the centre, which is expected to begin operating in 2013.

The project aims to meet targets to treat more waste sent to landfill set by the National Waste Strategy and European Union’s Landfill Directive.

The report recommends cabinet members approve the preferred strategic approach to achieve the 70 per cent recycling target and approve the commencement of a joint procurement exercise with Blaenau Gwent and Caerphilly.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  17:02:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.....and here we go again......Delivery of some new bins

The latest offering from Blaenau-Gwent, a new place to store our rubbish / recycling. Glad we are not paying for all these different attempts...

....hold on !

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2010 :  22:00:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are these the biggest one's they have?I did read/hear somewhere maybe on here i think that they come in 3 sizes depending on the size of the family/home,is this true? These seem quite small,if you look at the bloke in the white tee-shirt they just about come up to his waist,2 black bags and they will be full.
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2010 :  18:30:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats tall eric,he's 7ft 4 inches tall.He used to change the bulbs in the streetlights but they dont need him for that any moore.Poor bugger's been binned!

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13576 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2010 :  11:48:59 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were also delived by a hire van, on a Saturday ! !

Now you would have thought that the Council would have vans to deliver these, you see them around all the time?

Why hire vans, and Why do it on a Saturday with overtime !
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.29 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.