Changes to kerbside re-cycling by Blaenau-Gwent
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2010 :  10:39:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just posted a new topic regarding fortnihgtly collections,please have a look.Could it end before it has even started?
Go to Top of Page

gee

36 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2010 :  21:34:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there are 3 different sizes, the one near the guy in the white t-shirt would be the smallest then there's the regular size which is the one most people will be getting if not stated otherwise, to my knowledge the biggest bin will only be available to those that can prove that they fully use the recycling services that are in place and have a large family. With the fortnightly collections taken place will increase the recycling percentage within are borough. This is already being proved in brynmawr and surrounding areas.
Go to Top of Page

Webteam
Webteam

23569 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2010 :  13:52:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A MASSIVE council operation that will change the way we get rid of our waste has moved a step closer to completion.

Council employees delivered a wheeled bin to every house in Tredegar as part of the council’s improved waste and recycling service. They will be collected once every other week.

Brynmawr residents and people living in some areas of Ebbw Vale have already received the bins – and they will soon be distributed to all other areas of Blaenau Gwent.

Bins were delivered to all houses in Tredegar whose owners had agreed to have them.

There is no charge and householders don’t have to put the bins out for collection.

They can use them to store refuse in black plastic bags – and then remove the bags to be picked up on collection day on alternate weeks.

Collections of recycling left out in blue or clear plastic sacks and food waste in green bins continue once a week.

Coun Keith Barnes, Blaenau Gwent Council’s executive member for the environment, said: “We are doing everything we can to make our recycling schemes as easy to use as possible and we are always encouraging local people to recycle more – their response has been great.

“For the first time we have invested in wheeled bins for every household in Blaenau Gwent. This allows local people to store waste as we believe this to be a cleaner and more efficient way to collect waste.

“A trial of the new bins in one community was a great success – the recycling rate for the area increased as a result.

“Many people who have already had their bins say they are pleased. The increased participation in recycling is welcome. Let’s hope we see the same increase across all our communities.”

The current kerbside recycling scheme asks local people to place paper and cardboard in clear sacks, cans, glass and plastics in blue sacks and food waste in a green food caddy. This is collected weekly. People can also request collections for garden waste and bulky or electrical items.

If you have any questions about waste or recycling services in Blaenau Gwent, or would like to request an electrical or bulky item collection, call the council’s contact centre on 01495 311556.

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  00:27:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by webteam

There is no charge and householders don’t have to put the bins out for collection.

They can use them to store refuse in black plastic bags – and then remove the bags to be picked up on collection day on alternate weeks.

Collections of recycling left out in blue or clear plastic sacks and food waste in green bins continue once a week.

“A trial of the new bins in one community was a great success – the recycling rate for the area increased as a result.

“Many people who have already had their bins say they are pleased. The increased participation in recycling is welcome. Let’s hope we see the same increase across all our communities.”

So basically what I said 8 or 9 months ago on this thread was right?

Fancy that...

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  15:01:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok you may be correct now [maybe the council had a re-think] but you have to remember that this is NOT the info some people [including myself and my mother and her neighbours,who have no back entrance] were told at the very begining.
Go to Top of Page

fork_in_hell
Advanced Member

246 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  20:30:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Or, more likely, I was correct then just as I am correct now.

The information I was posting at the time came from someone within the relevant department at BGC but because it didn't fit the doom and gloom agenda of this site some posters thought it better to ridicule my posts rather than climb down off those high horses they were on.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  21:18:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No No NO,so what flipping department do you think we had information off then? I stood there and heard everything that my mother and the lady in the next street up who was visiting my mother was told face to face by someone from the council way back when they came round the houses and i also rang the council refuse dep just to make sure i had it right and was told exactly the same info and by the looks of it so were a lot of other people.I also did not ridicule your post [if you were on about me],i did say you were right but i just pointed out that others,myself included, were given different info at the time by the council thats all.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13580 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  09:43:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The delivery of the bins (is this version 2 or three of the bins in two year ? I've lost count...) was not good.

Ashville and Inkerman Tce for example. The bins were delivered at the front of the houses, and not at the rear where they are collected. When asked to deliver them to the rear, they residence were told they were not allowed to do that. This means elderly people or neighbours wheeling the bins around to the back. Not ideal.

Also, large amounts of area's in the Dukestown area of the town did not get the leaflet on when the new fortnightly collect would start, hence if you could see several street in Dukestown with bins out yeasterday, when they are not being picked up till next week.

Still, since less costs picking up once a fortnight instead of weekly, we can expect a reduction in our (highest in Wales) council tax.

Re-cycling is a good thing. Good for the environment and good financially. The monies saved can used to improve things like improving job prospects for locals, and/or a reduction in the people that pay the bill (you and me..).

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  14:27:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seams Pierre that all bins were deliverd to the front of home regardless of where your refuse is collected from. Mine and my mother-in-laws is taken from the back lane but bin was out the front.
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  19:30:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As you can imagine a 94yr old lady trying to lug a wheelie bin off the front road,through the living room,kitchen and back porch out to the back garden.....ah.... ain't gonna happen is it.Even tho we had already told the council [you know the bit that said if you need help] that she would need help,so if this happened to her how many more did it happen to? and no this is not doom and gloom it's just common sense.
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2434 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  20:11:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kay16

As you can imagine a 94yr old lady trying to lug a wheelie bin off the front road,through the living room,kitchen and back porch out to the back garden.....ah.... ain't gonna happen is it.Even tho we had already told the council [you know the bit that said if you need help] that she would need help,so if this happened to her how many more did it happen to? and no this is not doom and gloom it's just common sense.

Common sense left our town long ago I hate dreamed up ideas that are implemented in a blanket fashion without any care
Go to Top of Page

gee

36 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2010 :  20:57:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my collection is at the rear but wot if they deliverd the bin around the back i dont often go out the back so how would people like myself know that they have been deliverd. By the time people realised they where there bins would be down the river.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13580 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  18:48:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just when you get used to one way of doing this...this happens..

Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2434 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  19:00:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pierre

Just when you get used to one way of doing this...this happens..

so the more recycling bags tag is not recycleable?
Go to Top of Page

Cloud-Collector

149 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2010 :  22:26:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we paying people to come up with these ideas????........Just imagine the state on the tag after a few sessions of being dumped on the recycling bag, on the pavement in all weathers and then pushed through your letterbox afterwards by the binmen, after handling all sorts.
For goodness sake can't they just push bags through the door? When will they learn the more difficult or unpleasant they make any sort of recycling/refuse handling for the public the less compliant people become?
..............and of course, they will now know who recycles and who doesn't.........!!!!

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2010 :  00:10:22 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What ever happened to the "For more bags please ring the number on the front of the bag"? Are people not able to pick up a phone and ring a number anymore? Does this mean this no longer applies and so they can save a bit of money by not having all that now usless info printed on the bags?and if no one is ringing then there is no need to employ someone to answer the phone and so save a bit more money,say roughly between 13-17 grand a year?
Go to Top of Page

Webteam
Webteam

23569 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2010 :  19:51:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blaenau Gwent wheelie bins 'waste of time and money'
Source: SouthWalesArgus

IT WAS meant to be a £500,000 project to help meet recycling targets but for many Blaenau Gwent residents, the local authority’s new rubbish collection system is just a wheelie stupid idea.

More than 15,000 households across the area have been given wheelie bins to put their rubbish in for fortnightly collections in a council bid to reduce the amount of waste going to landfill.

The idea is that because refuge won't be collected weekly anymore, it will encourage people to make full use of the weekly recycling collection instead.

15,000 homes are still to receive their bins but for many residents who have already received one, the bins are that big they are unable to get them up the steps of their homes.

A standard bin holds 240 litres.

Other households don’t have a back entrance, leading to locals having to drag the wheelie bins through their homes into their back gardens.

Sylvester Deinsah, 34, of Hafodarthen Road, Llanhilleth is one of these residents.

On collection days he takes the rubbish bags from the bin in the back through his house to the street at the front.

He said: “I struggled to get the bin through the house. I couldn’t keep it out on the pavement as it would have caused an obstruction."

“The council need to speak with the communities before they start introducing systems like this.”

Angela Evans, 50, of Commercial Road, Aberbeeg, said she had left her wheelie bin in an alley after there was nowhere else for her to put it.

She said: “If I leave it by the gate that means I can’t shut the gate but it’s a struggle to get it up the steps. I don’t use it. It’s a total waste of time and money.”

The new system has even led some residents to calling the council to take their bins back.

Elsie Dyer, 85 of Hafodarthen Road, said: “I had no choice but to tell the council to take my bin. I couldn’t bring it in through my house. I’m 85. I can’t manage that.”

Robert Jones, 42 of Blaencuffin Road, Llanhilleth, had also sent his bin back.

He said: “It was really heavy even when it was empty and if I was struggling, there is no way elderly people will be able to manage it. It’s ridiculous to have them in this area.”

Labour group leader, Hedley McCarthy said: “In their anxiety to introduce fortnightly collections, the council have brought in these wheelie bins. They have not taken into account the topography of Blaenau Gwent and how many houses have got no back entrance or nowhere to put the bins.

“People should have been consulted more and a feasibility study carried out before this scheme was introduced.”

Cllr McCarthy said he had also had reports that bins were delivered to empty shops and flats in Llanhilleth.

'All householders told about change' - council

Blaenau Gwent executive member for the environment, Cllr Keith Barnes said that the project costs worked out at around less than £20 per bin and included rent for a warehouse unit.

He said the wheelie bins were optional and smaller bins were available and that all householders had been informed about the changes and asked for requests.

He said: “We are making good progress with our improved waste collection and recycling services and these are well received by the overwhelming majority of householders.

“After bin deliveries we have had quite a few calls from householders to say they have decided they don’t need a wheeled bin. Some have asked for alternate sizes. We have followed up on those calls.

“This is a huge operation and it is inevitable that not everything will go quite right. We ask householders to get in touch with us straight away and we will call round.”

The Argus understands that the council had to pay thousands to rent a warehouse to keep the bins in before they were given out, but the council refused to comment on how much it cost.

The council was also unable to give figures of how many complaints it had received.

Cloud-Collector

149 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  12:30:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be telling you all something you already know,............ but after ringing to find out where my delivery of new recycling bags had got to, I've been told there's a problem with delivering them at the moment but new supplies can be collected from The Library, now and in the future.

Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  13:01:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Tues at about 5 oclock i was walking down Glyn Tce and there was a council van/workers knocking on doors asking if anyone needed anything- from the food green bins,blue or white bags,bio-bags to put in food bins and for green/garden/compost waste,anything to do with recycling they had it [i took the bio-bags to line the bigger food bin as they keep the bin cleaner and they were free ,the last lot i had cost me £3]. So i don't know if they are doing this elsewhere but i thought i'd let everyone know anyway.
Go to Top of Page

gee

36 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2010 :  17:24:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi kay16 i know that the boys you saw Tuesday are out again tonight door knocking to increase the recycling rate in this area. I know they plan on doing Glyn Tce, Vale Tce, James Street, Walter Street and South End.
Go to Top of Page

swalk2855
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
176 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2010 :  00:56:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i get the bio bags every 11 weeks on my doorstep without asking, well impressed with that! they obviously keep tabs on those who use them weekly as my neighbour doesnt get them as she doesnt put out recycling.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13580 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2010 :  10:24:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rubbish households don’t recycle enough
Source: WalesOnLine

HE gulf between people’s attitudes to waste and recycling in different parts of Wales has been revealed in Assembly figures.

Waste statistics show that households in poorly-performing areas put out nearly twice as much rubbish for landfill or incineration as those in areas where environmental messages are hitting home.

The difference is greatest between Merthyr Tydfil, where every person put out 94kg of black bag trash between April and June this year, and rural authorities like Denbighshire in North Wales where the figure was just 48kg.

The performance of councils such as Denbighshire and Caerphilly, which recycled or reused more household waste than went to landfill, helped Wales continue to improve its performance and hit a national average of 44% recycling.

But Merthyr was one of several South Wales councils, along with Rhondda Cynon Taff, Bridgend and Blaenau Gwent, that has fallen significantly behind the national average and failed to hit the Assembly Government’s 40% target.

Bridgend recycled just 36% of its waste, while Rhondda Cynon Taf and Merthyr both hit 38%. Blaenau Gwent recorded just 32% recycling.

Environment minister Jane Davidson, called on councils to continue to develop recycling services to help hit the Assembly’s target of 70% of waste by 2025.

She said: “Householders across the country have made a real effort over the past decade to change their habits.

“It is time to develop a new generation of recycling services which will give local authorities good value for money and help us reach our recycling goals.”

The Assembly is fighting battles with several local authorities, including some of the best performers in Wales, over whether the mixed collections preferred by many councils are the best way to collect recycling.

Among those resisting the push to separate collections is Cardiff council.

The April to June figures show that the Welsh capital improved its performance to hit 43% recycling, and that every person produced 67kg of black bag waste. Similarly the Vale of Glamorgan hit 42% recycling and 71kg of black bag waste per person.

Caerphilly council was the best performing council in the region, recycling 53% of waste while only 58kg per person in the authority went to landfill.

Its improvement on the equivalent figures for the same period last year, since when the council has brought in fortnightly black bag collections and rolled out food-scraps collections, was 14%.

A spokesman for Rhondda Cynon Taf council blamed extreme weather during the winter for its failure to hit the 40% target. He said the council was rolling out food waste collections to improve performance.

He added: “The main reason why our targets have not been reached this year is due to the lack of support of many residents.”

Bridgend council said that since June, a new collections system had been brought in.

A spokeswoman said: “Residents have embraced the scheme and the recycling rate has risen significantly, putting us in a very strong position to meet and exceed future targets.”

Merthyr council said it was expanding kerbside recycling and composting collections and trying to educate the public but a spokeswoman said: “Participation is low and is the major factor in us not achieving the targets.”

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  05:45:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well Nantybwch has now switched to fortnightly collections. Only problem is no one bothered telling us! So Thursday everyone puts their rubbish out and it doesn't get collected. I phone the council and pont out that no one told us and we haven't had our wheelie bins and basically get told to lump it, the rubbish will be collected on the coming Thursday.

Friday whilst I'm at work our wheelie bins get delivered in what my husband described as practically a commando operation they were so quick dumping the bins along the road and then leaving. When I got home I found out why - they've delivered everybody the 120L bins not the standard size, which according to their own website, are 240L. Back on the phone to the council who'll apparently 'mention it to the correct department' this morning. I'm not holding my breathe but any extra bags will be left out if the bin doesn't get delivered and if they don't get collected then a letter to the Argus, the Council and my local councillor will swiftly follow along with a bill for my time and fuel to take the extra bags to the tip.

We recycle what we can (always put out at least 1 blue and 1 white bag a week and all veg scraps go one the compost heap) but a 120l bin will not do us 2 weeks. The level of incompetence in implementing the scheme by BGCC yet again reinforces my view that the idiots in charge shouldn't be allowed anywhere near tax payers money, They're not fit to run a monkey's tea party never mind a County Council!
Go to Top of Page

kay16

2091 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2010 :  11:52:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are so right.We have the normal size bin and we fill that very easily in 2 weeks and there is only 2 of us and thats with taking out everything for blue/white bags and food. I really feel sorry for a family.As you are near enough the last too get the bins maybe they have run-out of normal ones and only have the small ones left and have to get rid of them [you know what BGCBC are like maybe got the order wrong!!!!typical]
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

827 Posts

Posted - 21/10/2010 :  07:59:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Having kicked up a stink and complained to pretty much everyone I could think of I have the correct size bin, plus the organic waste caddies and a top up of recycling bags. A big thumbs up to the foreman who came out to sort the issue for us on Tuesday. Also a thanks to councillors Diane Rowberry who only got my email yesterday but actually called around the house on her way home (I assume - as she lives local) to discuss the issue (and had done her homework and spoken to various people in the Dept to find out the issue), and also to Dennis Owens who phoned whilst I was at work and then called again last night when I was in.

I still think its unfair that anyone who didn't/ doesn't complain is stuck with the small bin (and I hope mine doesn't 'walk' once its spotted!). Apparently the issue is that when switching town over a lot of people who said they wanted the small bins changed their minds leaving a shortage of the medium size bins and these have an 8-10wk lead time! So rather than doing something sensible like delay the rollout they just gave everyone the small bins and hoped no one would notice or complain!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 2.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.