New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  19:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And its zoomable, so you can double click on the image, or use the scroll button on your mouse, and get right into the detail of the map.

A massive thanks to Bryan goes without saying :o)

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/panoramic/1878.htm

Check it out, Amazing stuff :o)

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:42:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Bryan for putting this on site. It gives a clear picture of the areas my ancestors lived.

Val
Two for Bryan

Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  22:55:28 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent! Perhaps that link could go on the genealogy board?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  23:11:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great idea Annette.

All done.
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2009 :  23:41:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bryan
I can now relate to where I lived and surroundings as a child regarding my previous posts ie Tallybank being Tan-y-bank and Gelli cottages being Gewly Cottages as Emrys had previously pointed out.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  00:24:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cracking map Bryan!

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2009 :  11:04:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We will also stick a link to the map in the History section. The image itself is made up of 120 small zoomed in pictures, stitched together. Seems to work very well.
Go to Top of Page

llanover

Australia
1095 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  22:55:29 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've passed that link to another genealogy forum that I use, hope that's OK. So many people seem to have links with Tredegar, there are always queries about churches, chapels and streets.
I had quite an eerie feeling actually looking at the house where my g.g. grandma lived in Ysgubor Wen.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2009 :  23:12:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by llanover

I've passed that link to another genealogy forum that I use, hope that's OK. So many people seem to have links with Tredegar, there are always queries about churches, chapels and streets.
I had quite an eerie feeling actually looking at the house where my g.g. grandma lived in Ysgubor Wen.

Hi,

Please pass on the link, the more that look at it, the better :o)

Got some more "interesting" stuff coming up soon ;-)
Go to Top of Page

Samstan

828 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  07:02:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's fascinating! I love old maps and what they tell you about a place. Not being from the area (Mum's side of the family are from nr Manchester, Dad's from Birmingham and I was brought up nr Manchester) its interesting to see how the area has changed. I can't believe how industrial the place looked back then (brick works, pits, iron works etc)! And also how many chapel's & churches there were but also a brewery! Work hard, pray hard, play hard maybe?

Thanks for putting it Pierre and thanks Bryan for sharing it with us.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2009 :  08:34:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My thanks must go to Pierre for the time and trouble he has taken to photograph and stitch all the frames together.

When I acquired the map, like you all, I was fascinated to look up where my relatives lived during the time of the Industrial Revolution.

Some lived in Carpenter's Row; others in Church Square etc. My grandfather's house in Mafeking Terrace hadn't yet been built - 30 Mafeking Terrace.

Thank you all for your positive comments, but our real thanks must go to Pierre.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.78 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.