New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  09:33:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone out there any information on this?

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  13:28:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That picture is (was) on display down the comp'. Old Sirhowy Bridge before the traffic lights were installed. Many an accident there hence the name. You're looking down Charles Street at what is now the Bridge roundabout. To your left out of sight is Audrey Jenkins house, to your right The Grove. Lorry heading up Church Street.

Well, did you ever wake up, with them bullfrogs on your mind?
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  13:52:04 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine Honeydew

That picture is (was) on display down the comp'.

What are you implying?

I've never set foot in the Comp' in my life.

The very inference is scandalous and libelous.

This interview is over.

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  14:05:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Obviously I was implying that "a copy" of this photograph was on display down the comp'. Heaven forfend any implication of underhand dealings or dishonesty. Now if you had the negatives....well....?

Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2009 :  18:51:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re the DEATH TRAP photo. I remember many accidents there. In about 1942 I attended the "Tech" and frequently we would see American Army convoys passing through and proceeding up Charles St, presumably on toward Merthyr etc. They always seemed to drive faster and closer together than everyone else and while I don't recall the American trucks being involved in accidents there I/we often expected one.Emrys

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  01:18:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrine Honeydew

Heaven forfend any implication of underhand dealings or dishonesty.

Apologies, I had no idea you were talking about No. 10.

Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2009 :  01:20:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emrys

Re the DEATH TRAP photo. I remember many accidents there. In about 1942 I attended the "Tech" and frequently we would see American Army convoys passing through and proceeding up Charles St, presumably on toward Merthyr etc. They always seemed to drive faster and closer together than everyone else and while I don't recall the American trucks being involved in accidents there I/we often expected one.Emrys

Great stuff Emrys, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  21:39:05 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple more great pics from Tarkus to complete the history.

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  20:11:36 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got it spot on, I'd say! I'm not sure I can remember the metal part of the bridge being in place. Anyone know when it was knocked down? I can remember the supports being in place but not the Bridge itself.

Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  07:37:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The picture with the snow,what direction is that looking from?
Go to Top of Page

ken sully
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  08:11:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ot it spot on, I'd say! I'm not sure I can remember the metal part of the bridge being in place. Anyone know when it was knocked down? I can remember the supports being in place but not the Bridge itself.

i say it was about 1960/1 i can remember the trains when we went over the old navie to play this was by coach bach

kdsullivan
Go to Top of Page

aussiewelshman
Retired Webteam Member

New SOUTH WALES
23652 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  08:31:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gjj43

The picture with the snow,what direction is that looking from?

From the east side of the river.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  18:29:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, re the snowy scene. I've been away from Tredegar for many years but it seems to me that in the foreground is the bridge over the river, then on the right is a small building where Cliff Beddoe had his "cobblers" shop for many years, beyond that was the entrance to the "'stute" and Glanhowy school. Next to that entrance was the drive to the Vicarage, which was next to the "Tech" school. Sirhowy bridge, had it still been in place would have been seen in the background. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

gjj43
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  18:57:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tarkus,any idea of the year of the snowy pic? i can never remember the wall around the river being without railings, i can go back to around 1967 and the railings were there then, also the old Gibbs garage is nowhere to be seen in the background on the left
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  19:08:42 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure butt,but i'm about the same as you with remembering the railings datewise as well (see they gone now to).
My mothers cousin took the pic,think he pulled the pin a while back.

Go to Top of Page

djunna

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  19:55:32 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by emrys

Hello Emrys

Can you remember any accidents there in 1942? My Gt Gt Grandfather was Killed there 28/7/42. I think he had a drop on and was hit by an Army motorcycle.

Cheers Darren
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  21:26:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry. Don't recall that particular accident. If it was an army motor cycle it was almost certainly one leading or following an army convoy which was the practice at the time. From the "tech' we saw many army convoys, US and British go by. Received my very first taste of a "Lifesaver', (an American sweet, very much like a "Polo" mint ) as American convoys went by. They must have received them by the boatload as they never seemed to run out of them. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  14:20:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i remember an accident at the bridge,a lorry came down from sirhowy hill and smash into the bridge side wall killed the driver and there was not much left of the cab of the lorry.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.