Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

mugaduga

3 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  17:48:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello

I wonder if anyone could help me with some research I am doing into one of my ancestors - Joseph Yandle born c1853. He married a Mary Ann Jones in 1873. I am unable to trace his ancestors as he seems to have appeared out of no where and the only records are in the 1881 and 1911 census.
He lived at No. 3 Pitta Bach. Does anyone know where this was?
There was also talk in the family that they lived next to the Bush Hotel at some point. Two of the sons were involved in the Salvation Army Band.

Any info regarding them would be fantastic.

Many thanks

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  20:36:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pitta Bach is long gone, demolished in the nineteen thirties. A family named "Yandles" had a small candy store operated from the front room of their house on Commercial St.,as late as the nineteen fifties, but that residence too has been demolished.Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2009 :  21:03:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Mugaduga,

A lot of families with the surname of Yandle are still living to this day in the town, indeed, some are members on this web-site.

Pitta Bach does appear on our on-line map of the town in 1978,

Please visit : http://www.tredegar.co.uk/panoramic/1878.htm

When the map has loaded, double click on the "T" in Tredegar to zoom in, then go up a little bit and you will see Pitta Bach on the map.

Pitta Bach was also talked about not so long ago on the forum, please pop along to here to see if that also helps.

Rgds

Pierre
Webteam

Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2009 :  09:17:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know there were Yandles living in Park Row (close to the Bush) until at least the late 1970s. I moved to Newport around then, so lost track of who was living in the street.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

indarkistplumstead
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
331 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2009 :  18:56:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well my old mate,ron yandle was a tredegar lad born and bred but now he lives in merthyr,also i believe that his cousin david usedto lived in popular road
Go to Top of Page

mugaduga

3 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2009 :  10:05:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guys

Thank you so much for your help.

I'll post an update when I get more info.

Cheers
Go to Top of Page

Keith Yandle

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2010 :  22:19:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to www.MySpace: Keith Yandle. Tredegar. Cyrus Gordon Yandle
Go to Top of Page

mugaduga

3 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2010 :  10:49:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks Keith - much appreciated, some very interesting photos
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  15:08:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A big thank you to the person that uploaded the picture below (Keith maybe ?)

Keith Yandle

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2010 :  08:54:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed this is the grave of my Mother & Father: Cyrus Gordon Yandle and Marjorie Yandle nee' Edwards (The Granddaughter of Edith and James Edwards. Edith Edwards was Tredegar's First Lady Councillor
Go to Top of Page

Gezza

Australia
59 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2010 :  17:27:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I onced lived in Laburnam ave, so did the Yandels. At that time I was mates with Ivor Yandel, he also had a brother named Trefor. I forget how many sisters he had but they were a big family. I rember the father worked down Glas Coed as a police man. From there he worked in the Lucainia Snooker Hall ( Luk ) in town. The family swapped houses with Cannon Pearse and went to live at the top of north ave, in the first house in that short street that runs down to the cresent. Ivor went on to married a Rhymney girl and lived over there. I had heared that Ivor had lost his leg's in a work accident but I am unable to confirm this. Hope this info is of use to you. Gezza
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2010 :  18:36:07 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Big Thanks to Mr. Keith Yandle for taking the time to upload some excellent photo's to the Tredegar On-line Gallery.

Please goto here to check them out

tonyg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2010 :  00:16:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am related to the Yandle family - My great-great grandfather David Williams (1858-1919) was married to Mary Ann Yandle (1858-1912) whose parents were John Yandle (1826-1886) and Margaret Yandle (nee Rogers) (1834-1908). This was John's second wife as his first wife Margaret Yandle (nee Mansell) died in the cholera epidemic (aged 24) and whose grave can be found in the Cefn Golau Cholera cemetery. John was born in Bristol.
Go to Top of Page

elynedd

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2010 :  00:36:49 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH ON MY GREAT UNCLE HAROLD HARRIS, FROM WHOM I HAVE 2 LETTERS WRITTEN FROM THE WW1 TRENCHES. HE MENTIONS CHEESE AND PICKLES SHARED WITH HIS CHUM JACK YANDLE, AND OTHER TREDEGAR BOYS IN THE MONMOUTHSHIRE REG [3 BATTALLION]I'VE NOW FOUND OUT THAT BOTH WERE KILLED ON 29/12/1915, ON PARADE AS THEY WERE ABOUT TO GO ON LEAVE,BY A 17INCH NAVAL SHELL FIRED FROM A HILL.39 DIED AND BURIED IN MASS GRAVE IN FERME-OLIVIER CEMETERY.BELGIUM.WE STILL HAVE HIS VIOLIN, HENCE MY INTEREST IN HIM.MANAGED TO FIND THE INFO ON ARMISTICE DAY OF ALL DAYS.ELYNEDD
Go to Top of Page

tonyg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  18:49:23 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi elynedd
You mentioned in your text about other Tredegar boys mentioned in the letters from your great-uncle. Are there any names mentioned as I am very interested in the Great War story of my great-grandfather, David Henry Williams and great-uncle Stephen Edwards who were both in the 3rd Mons.

Regards

Tony
Go to Top of Page

elynedd

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2010 :  23:06:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HI TONY.JUST HAD A QUICK LOOK AND CAN'T SEE ANY REFERENCE TO YOUR RELATIVES, BUT WHEN I WORK OUT THE TECHNOLOGY, I'LL SEND YOU A COPY/POST OF THEM BOTH.THEY'RE BOTH QUITE SHORT BUT GIVE A LITTLE SNAPSHOT OF LIFE THEN.BEEN MEANING TO TRANSCRIBE THEM TO READ THEM A LITTLE EASIER.WILL UPDATE YOU. ELYNEDD
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  08:24:40 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Morning Tony,

Have just looked up Stephen Edwards in the 1881 Census.

His family were:

Evan Edwards Head Coal Miner Aged 44 Born Sirhowy

Martha Edwards Wife 46 Born Ebbw vale

Maryan Edwards Dau. Coal Tipper 17 Born Rhymney

Edward Edwards Son Coal Miner 14 Born Ohio, America

William Edwards Son 5 Born Tredegar

Stephen Edwards Son 2 Born Tredegar

The address was 34 North Lane, Tredegar

Go to Top of Page

tonyg

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2010 :  17:54:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bryan

What is very interesting on the 1881 census above is that Edward Edwards was born in Ohio - is this Mormon country? - It looks like the family were in Rhymney in 1864, in Ohio in 1867 and back to Tredegar in 1876. Could have been part of the wagon-trains that headed west! - I new there was a reason why I liked John Wayne.

Tony
Go to Top of Page

Laura1984

United Kingdom
92 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2012 :  17:40:43 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This post has blown away

1 am 27 and a member of the yandle family. John yandle 1925-1999 is my grandfather and also Ivor yandle, Cyrus gordan yandles brother.
John yandle in ww1 is my great great grandfather joesph yandle 1853-1928. Brothers son have lots of information on the yandle family tree
Go to Top of Page

sailor
Advanced Member

414 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  15:15:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting informatiom, Only recently I was seeking information on the whereabouts of the portrait that used to hang in Bedwelty house of Edith Edwards who I belive was also a JP,I was making enquiries on behalf of one of the Edwards family,anyone with any information please reply.
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  17:34:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, Edith was along serving councillor and possibly the 1st female.
She had a son Jim who was a keen cricketer and pigeon fancier.
She was known locally as Auntie Edie and I am pretty certain lived in Pretoria Tce. (Top row on left of Georgetown Hill).
Go to Top of Page

Lisa Evans

18 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  21:17:06 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YANDLE, John - Lance Corporal 290041
3rd Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment.

Born in Tredegar in 1891, enlisted at Tredegar.
Killed in action on 29th December 1915 - France & Flanders.
Buried at Ferme Olivier Cemetery, Belgium.

Son of Cyrus and Elizabeth Yandle, 63 Commercial Street, Tredegar.
Brother to Lily, Edith, Florence, Beatrice May, Albert, Doris and Catherine Yandle.
1911 census shows the family were living at 71a, Commercial Street, Tredegar
Most of the other Tredegar men killed are listed on the following website... I have recently come back from visiting Ferme Olivior Cemetery where John is buried and have some pics of the cemetery and headstone... I'll be getting them online soon on the following website..
http://www.nelson-ww1-memorial.org.uk/html/tredegar_memorial.html
quote:
Originally posted by elynedd

I HAVE BEEN DOING RESEARCH ON MY GREAT UNCLE HAROLD HARRIS, FROM WHOM I HAVE 2 LETTERS WRITTEN FROM THE WW1 TRENCHES. HE MENTIONS CHEESE AND PICKLES SHARED WITH HIS CHUM JACK YANDLE, AND OTHER TREDEGAR BOYS IN THE MONMOUTHSHIRE REG [3 BATTALLION]I'VE NOW FOUND OUT THAT BOTH WERE KILLED ON 29/12/1915, ON PARADE AS THEY WERE ABOUT TO GO ON LEAVE,BY A 17INCH NAVAL SHELL FIRED FROM A HILL.39 DIED AND BURIED IN MASS GRAVE IN FERME-OLIVIER CEMETERY.BELGIUM.WE STILL HAVE HIS VIOLIN, HENCE MY INTEREST IN HIM.MANAGED TO FIND THE INFO ON ARMISTICE DAY OF ALL DAYS.ELYNEDD

Go to Top of Page

Ruthie1981

6 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2012 :  22:38:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, very interested reading this. my great grandfather was Jack Yandle(the one your talking about) my grandfather John(Jack) Yandle was only one when his father died in 1915. My grandfather moved to Caerphilly to work in the pit. his mother remarried to Tom Bosely and they had a son called Glyn :)

Go to Top of Page

elynedd

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  01:48:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to work out how to attach photo to this as I could post a copy of Harold's letters. I WILL work it out.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2012 :  09:11:00 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

If you e-mail a copy to me at webmaster@tredegar.co.uk I will do it for you :-)

Pierre

Go to Top of Page

kevin_edw2002

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  14:53:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I am related to John Yandle (son of Cyrus Yandle) through his sister(?) Charlotte, who married my great-grandfather, Richard Edwards.
I would be grateful for any additional information.

Best,

Kevin Edwards
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.8 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.