welsh feathers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

swalk

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2005 :  21:15:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi could someone please help me out! on my travels around wales i have seen double glazed glass panel front doors with the welsh feathers on obviously designed by the glazing company could anyone tell me what this company is called please.my husband is starting to annoy me now asking me ive searched the internet and cannot find anything. many thanks again.
sarah

Eily
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
453 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2005 :  14:48:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi swalk, try Palace Windows (I think that's what they're called), they're in Ebbw Vale. I'm not sure whether they do them but you could ask and they'll probably know which supplier to use.

Edited by - Eily on 05/10/2005 14:48:59
Go to Top of Page

swalk

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2005 :  17:04:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks eily much appreciated.
sarah
Go to Top of Page

malacara

27 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2005 :  18:53:27 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You must be forgiven in your misconception (as are most welsh people)that the three feathers have anything to do with Wales, they are not, the motto "Ich dien" is not Welsh, it is GERMAN for "We serve". The following is from Charlie the Greeks own web site.

"The badge of The Prince of Wales comprises three silver (or white) feathers rising through a gold coronet of alternate crosses and fleur-de-lys. The motto "Ich Dien" (I serve) is on a dark blue ribbon beneath the coronet.
Its use in royal heraldry goes back to the time of Edward Prince of Wales (the Black Prince) in the 14th century.

Experts in heraldry believe the feathers may have been used by the family of Edward's mother, Philippa of Hainault, but the Ich Dien , (German for I serve) motto formed part of the arms of the King of Bohemia."

In short, they have nothing to do with Wales, Walesís history or itís people.
Some alternatives for Welsh/Cymru icons besides our Red Dragon, Leek or dafodil

THE BANNER OF ST DAVID

THE ROYAL STANDARD OF OWAIN GLYNDWR

Here's to the son's of the Gwerin,who care not for king or for queen, who'll tear down the red,white and blue boy's, and hoist up the Red,White and Green.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.