Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  15:30:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm trying to get my bearings on where some of my ancestors lived.

Are there any of the original houses still left in Lower Coronation St?

Has anyone any idea of where number 128 would have been approximately located on Shop Row or number 22 in Bridge St?
Are there any other street maps that may be viewed, apart from the one that is already on the Tred website?
Many thanks
Titch
I love a Black Bush!

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  19:13:45 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
22 bridge st would have been 4th or 5th house down from Siloh Capel.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  20:41:33 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Please see below for the houses that are left just below the Siloh chapel, so I take it just to the left of these ?

Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2010 :  21:35:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The house in the pic is 26 bridge st.
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  13:04:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks folks,

did there used to be a 'church hall on the opposite side of the road from Siloh? I seem to remember sitting outside it on the step listening to the Orpheus in the 50's?
I wonder if there are any old photographs of Bridge St about?
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  15:01:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Titch,

Yes I too remember the hall. I used to go to a scout troupe in that building.

I'll see If I can find some pictures for you
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  17:25:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there a YMCA or something similer on that side of the road ?

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2010 :  22:22:09 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just for Tarkus http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=Oc2jGbX462Q&v=CS9OO0S5w2k

Val

Edited by - valll on 26/02/2010 22:24:41
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  09:19:17 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That house in the pic brings back happy memories by hell they were massive.
Go to Top of Page

Bryan Rendell

United Kingdom
1788 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  09:32:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Titch,

I cannot remember any Hall opposite Siloh Chapel. There was only a sweet shop.

Coming down Bridge Street from Wilcox the Chemist, on the left was the YMCA; and on the corner a Fish and Chip shop.

On the other corner was an empty shop, then Jones the Milk, Trevor and Tom's father, then Russell's the Butcher, another sweet shop, next door was Mrs Harris and next door again was Tom Baxter's family and the sweet shop I've already mentioned.

On the right coming down Bridge Street was a photographers, then Fear's General Store and Jeynes the cobbler on the corner.

On the other corner again was an empty shop then Lucas the Greengrocer. No other shops until you came to Siloh Chapel.

Perhaphs Emrys could add to this?

Perhaps the Scout Troupe was held at the YMCA at a later date. Not in my youth in the 40/50's
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  10:15:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a hall there called mispha...think they did boxing there in the early 70s
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  15:58:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valll

Just for Tarkus http://www.youtube.com/watch#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=Oc2jGbX462Q&v=CS9OO0S5w2k

Val

I could just see them mincing down bridge streeet

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:00:47 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

That house in the pic brings back happy memories by hell they were massive.

Gravity is so cruel

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:25:16 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I seem to recall a Hall being there taking in Dance classes in the early Forties
Go to Top of Page

oldcefnlad
Advanced Member

655 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:25:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They defide gravity , oh they were awsome
Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  16:42:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oldcefnlad

They defide gravity , oh they were awsome

35 years is a long time,nice to have mama 'whoops' memory's though

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  17:55:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"........Hi Titch,

I cannot remember any Hall opposite Siloh Chapel. There was only a sweet shop......"

Hi Bry'
There was a hall there until the early 80's. It was opposite the houses, standing next to the red van in the photo. 14th Tredegar Scouts were based there at the end of the 70's.

Edited by - Peregrine Honeydew on 27/02/2010 17:56:39
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2010 :  21:09:19 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

" A Mr Blunt, (believe it was Frank ) was a tinsmith and had his shop on Bridge St where it intersected with Coronation St. Most of his work was making tin colliers water "jacks" and lunch boxes but he also made large items such as tin boilers for washing clothes etc. His son had a stand up tea and coffee stall on the A40 near Oxford but later expanded into a large transport cafe. Had many a good meal there and kept the owner up to date on Tredegar news. Emrys
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  19:22:21 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A look down Bridge street, in Feb 2010

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2010 :  19:28:50 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and another from the other end... And a nice bit of parking by the audi on the right ;-)

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  10:24:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the information folks, Bridge St looks so small now doesn't it, even with mature trees where houses and shops were. it's amazing how the area has changed over the years. When I was a youngster in the mid/late 50's it was packed with houses and shops etc. It was a little community in its own right as were other parts of the town. I also remember most of the shops that were mentioned by forum members especially the fish chip shop on the crossroads with Lower Coronation St.
There was a mate of mine who in the 50's lived near the Hall his name was Raymond Thompson, his nickname was Mandos, has anyone any recollections of him or know of what happened to him?

I love a Black Bush! !
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  10:41:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I vaguely remember the YMCA at the top of Bridge St, but there was definitely a hall opposite the Chapel, approximately where the red van is parked as suggested.
I think it was also used as a polling station during elections, as was the Ebenezer Church Hall off Coronation St, I can remember seeing Nye Bevan there!
Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  11:02:24 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Titch
I agree with you, as I stated in my previous post there were childrens dancing classes taken there and my wife as also said she had lessons there.

morgan
Go to Top of Page

Cae

2408 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  11:46:37 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you referring to Mizpah Hall? There's a photo of one of the dancing lessons there on the Starlight site- it you click on the link below and scroll down the photo is a newspaper cutting on the right.

http://www.tredegar.co.uk/starlight/In%20The%20Beginning.htm
Go to Top of Page

Titch
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  11:58:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry Cae I'm not familiar with that name, doesn't ring a bell at all.
It may be in one of the old street directories though.

As far as I can remember they held dancing classes there and it was used as a practice room for the Tredegar Orpheus Choir. It could well have been the Mizpha Hall, it sounds a bit Jewish? I wonder if there was a Synagogue in town anywhere, with his knowledge of the town Emrys would probably know?

I love a Black Bush!
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13893 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2010 :  13:31:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i will dig up the original print for the photo below, and try to zoom in on the street in question. The photo is from 1971...

Fingers crossed

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.