Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2010 :  17:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For more pictures of the schools (old and new) in the town, please visit the school section, here

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2010 :  19:09:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This brings back memories. My grandparents (the Perkins) bought the farm - Lower Farm - across the road and I basically grew up there until I left in 75. Family bought the old school and I remember it being full of "leftovers" from WW2. There were many cots there, old kitchen appliances and several billiard tables. Later the building was used to store hay bales.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

smartie40

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  18:12:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love this old school, I pass it everyday on my way to work. This would make a lovely home such a shame to see it crumbling away and unkept. the building is a fine structure I would love to purchase it and turn it into a home.x

mknight
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  21:34:38 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants to read about the school,the Log Books,detailing all the daily activities, are kept in the Archives in Ebbw Vale.They make fascinating reading especially if your family lived in Bedwellty Pits.My father is mentioned several times being caned.
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13908 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  20:53:10 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks goes to Idwal for this class photo from back in 1913.

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2014 :  21:10:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A Beautiful, Building That Sure, Have Proved The Test of Time !! I Really Would Hope That It Could Be Restored back to It's Original Beauty, Considering It's Probably The First Building that Visitors Would See Entering Tredegar !!
Go to Top of Page

joyce

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  14:28:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My father used to go to Perkins farm every week from the 1940s until about 1963 to buy eggs.
I was ill for a number of years and they never let us down, they used to always used to keep some eggs for me.
We have a lamp which Mr and Mrs Perkins gave to my father, Brin Cole, which is still on display and in pride of place in the living room.
Trefilboy, your grandparents were a lovely couple and I'll never forget their kindness.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2014 :  16:39:53 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joyce - thanks for the info. I talked to my uncle Islwyn and he remembers you and your father well. "Lovely people" he said. By the way Islwyn is 95 and has a fantastic memory - much better than mine. He's my source of a lot of the old info about Tredegar. He told me that as he remembers it, your father used to make you a drink out of the egg and some whiskey.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

joyce

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2014 :  13:29:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well he was nearly right - it was eggs and rum, it tasted and smelt foul and I hated it. It was a recipe from a Harley Street doctor and was supposed to be very nutritious. We did appreciate though that the Perkins kept us supplied with eggs at a time when food was in short supply. They were a lovely couple and we were very grateful to them.

Joyce
Go to Top of Page

uncle bob

United Kingdom
2458 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2014 :  13:56:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone shed some light as to the school being built so far from the village?
Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 25/11/2014 :  20:35:11 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by uncle bob

Can anyone shed some light as to the school being built so far from the village?

Probably because it was on the first flat part of the main road, And that it Would have been Ideal then for Pochin as well ??
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  20:33:34 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
trevilboy, Had chat with your uncle &Dorothy new's day 2015;wishing them compliments of the season,he told me about the egg and rum plus shells drink for Joyce Cole. I see him quite often,always have whisky and share information of Tredegar; he as remarkable memory and tells me of his nephew in Canada you must be the one. Ike

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

55 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2015 :  22:37:31 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Message for Ike. I am a relative of yours. I am granddaughter of Herbert Jones.
Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  00:41:48 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ike - yes I'm the one. As you say, Llwyns' memory is remarkable. This is why I love the Tredegar web page - Here we are with a common connection to Tredegar, and it keeps us all together. It's absolutely great reading all the stories about the town.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

margaret briggs
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
195 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  11:59:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ron.Talking of Llwyn reminded me of when my mother-in-law,Nancy used to go down Lower Farm to help Auntie Bess with the washing she often took my son John Jnr with her.
When he came home he always said "you arn't to wash me".
Llwyn had written on his arm in Biro,DO Not Wash.And he took a lot of persuading to wash it off for school.

Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  17:24:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi trevilboy,
I have known Llywn since late fifty's when engineer with NCB Tredegar group colliers when we required ground for tipping spoils from Pochin Collery. He agreed provided he could pick any coal in the rubbish. Shrewed man!! I often remind him of this, he justs smiles! Love it.
Next time I see him i'll tell him I've been in touch with you. Any messages i'll let you known.

Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2015 :  17:36:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
harry driftwood,
Interesting,what is the name of your parents? I new Irene and Albert davies and Ron Jones the other children not so sure of. Another sister lived in York terrace but can't recall her name.

Go to Top of Page

trefilboy
Advanced Member

Canada
305 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  16:12:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ike - talked to Lwyn testerday. Told me you took over from Tudge in Pochin - Tudges were great old friends of mine, and regularly keep in touch with their son Alan. Also when Pochin was closing, Jim Williams (Manager), another great old friend of mine, took a few of us kids down Pochin to see what it was like. I also used to go with Lwyn to pick coal off the tip and before we left Tredegar when the miners strike was on in the 70's that was my source of coal.
Margaret - told Lwyn about John Jnr and he had a good laugh.

trefilboy
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  17:23:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trevil boy

No,I did not take over from Basil Tudge he was the unit mechanical engineer,I was ast. group mechanical engineer at Tregedar.

Jim Williams (smiler) I got on well with him. When we were demolishing Ty-trist colliery he came up to blow the washery concrete bunkers,not very successful I must say, however we did at second attempt, bit risky! wouldn't do it to-day.He was a lovely chap,sadly he died a young man.

I'm having MOT tomorrow. I will call round and correct him. might have a whisky.?

Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  17:41:13 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those interested in Bedwellty School take a look at:-

WWW.bbc.co.uk/wales/arts/yourvidio/media/pages/ieuan sheen

Beautifully narrated by Ieuan . Unfortunely,the video wasn't working when I looked at it, couple of days ago but, the script is there.
Lump came in my throat!tears in my eyes.So well put together.
Hadn't realised Ieuan was from Bedwellty Pits.

Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  18:43:18 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ieuan was born at 2,Railway Cottages,Bbedwellty Pits.His grandfather was the signalman at Bedwellty Pits.the Sheen family came from a tiny village in Radnorshire called Glascwm.the earliest family members lived in a farm called Wern Danzy in the 1680's
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  18:46:20 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ieuans mother and father as well as an aunt and uncle are shown on the school photo of 1913
Go to Top of Page

ike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2015 :  16:41:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exbrompton,
Thanks for the information; you've done a lot of in depth research on this one. ike

Go to Top of Page

ken sully
Advanced Member

324 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  07:37:54 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and this is why i LOVE tredegar

kdsullivan
Go to Top of Page

milkman

United Kingdom
1632 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  11:19:56 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi ex-Brompton.
You are related to Ieuan, I think
Go to Top of Page

Exbrompton
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
253 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  19:25:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately I am related!!His younger brother.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.