New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2010 :  20:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is how Bryn-Bach used to look then in 1936.
For pictures and film of how it looks these days, pop on over to here.

A credit to the town, and area........

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:31:12 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was active in 1936 but have no recollection of Bryn Bach boating pool. Was it what we used to call Mile Pond, part of the farm owned by Bill Samuel ?? and was it actually named Bryn Bach Boating Pool at that time.?? Emrys
Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  11:34:39 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi emrys,

I have also checked, and I cannot find any info on it.
Looking at the hill behind the pond, I thing you are right

Pierre

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  19:21:08 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say I was really puzzled by this photo. That is not how I remember that area at all. (60's - 70's) The area almost all the way from Samuel's Farm to Rhymney Patch was shale tips and had been worked hard for many years previously. The Mile Pond was a wide expanse surrounded by shale "beaches". I would suggest that this is not "Brynbach" at all, The valley is far too narrow. Be great to find out where it is (was) though..................

Go to Top of Page

tarkus

2666 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  19:35:46 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats about the way i remember it to,more bicycles up there than in beijin and a sack of coal on every one

Go to Top of Page

morgan.m

1184 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  20:12:35 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to agree with Pereqrine and Tarkus this is not the Mile Pond I swam there in the forties and there was many a dead dog besides old bikes etc.
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  00:18:15 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I agree this photo is not of the mile pond and I only posed that question due to the title naming it to be Bryn Bach etc.. Certainly it looks quite lovely wherever it was but doubt that it was anywhere near Tredegar. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2010 :  19:45:58 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.....There seems to be some sort of camping fest going on in the background. Smoke rising and everything. Scouts

Go to Top of Page

valll
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
728 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  23:07:03 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Peregrine Honeydew
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:45:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

.....There seems to be some sort of camping fest going on in the background. Smoke rising and everything. Scouts

Could be Red Indians

Val

Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  11:30:44 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah! Hadn't thought of that. In fact if you zoom right in I think the guy second from the right in the nearest canoe is Daniel Day-Lewis.

ps. Nice to get over the 500 post mark. Might open a bottle later. (Firewater no doubt)

Go to Top of Page

pierre
Webmaster

United Kingdom
13899 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  16:09:26 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by valll

quote:
Peregrine Honeydew
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
499 Posts
Posted - 05/08/2010 : 19:45:58
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could be Red Indians

Val

Zulu maybe ?

A drink you say, MMMmmmmmm :o)
Go to Top of Page

mike
Advanced Member

United Kingdom
385 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  16:51:41 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A search around t'Interweb throws up references to a scout campsite called Brynbach somwehere near Denbigh in North Wales. I wonder if that's what is pictured?

Mike
Go to Top of Page

emrys
Advanced Member

715 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  17:21:57 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very probable Mike. Bryn Bach is Welsh for "small hill" so there could be many areas bearing that name but certainly it is in Wales. Emrys.
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  09:23:52 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
......I think you've got it Mike. Sounds like the place, but can't find any photos. Hasn't been used by scouts since the 50's it would seem, but the info fits.

Go to Top of Page

Sgurrambler

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  14:31:25 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a long-time collector of Scouting postcards I can confirm that your photograph is of the former Scout campsite called Brynbach (no hyphen) near Saron, Denbighshire. The site was established in 1934 but closed (as far as I have been able to discover) some time in the 1950s.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/46607173/Brynbach
Go to Top of Page

Peregrine Honeydew

United Kingdom
1136 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  18:22:02 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice one!

Go to Top of Page

fredd

6216 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2012 :  18:38:30 Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strangely enough there's a Postcard ( Different scene ) of Brynbach Scout camp for sale at the moment, on Ebay, The Seller beleives it's near the A465, at Tredegar .. !
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Tredegar Forum © www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.7 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

Daily Featured Picture

Click for large image.

Daily Featured Video

Click for video.

Terms Of Use
Forum Content is user generated and not monitored. Please see Disclaimer & Privacy Policy
NewsAbout Us - Site Map - Forums - Town Clock - History  - WelshMultimedia - I-Community - Gallery - RSS Feeds
Contact Webmaster   -   Contact WebTeam  -  Where Is Tredegar ?
Opinions expressed are not necessary the same as the Owner / Webmaster / Webteam
All Contents (c) www.Tredegar.co.uk Ltd, except where indicated.